UA Dorms

Hey guys! I was accepted in to Alabama yesterday and I’m very excited! I just had some questions on dorms. Do you recommend the suite dorms? I know they are very nice but I feel like I’m missing out on being in tutwiler with everyone else. Do any of you have opinions on each of the dorms?? And also, do I pick a roommate before or after I choose a dorm? Thanks!(:

If you are planning to go through sorority recruitment, you might want Tutwiler or Martha Parham because they are next door to the sororities. The suite-style dorms are across campus. Tutwiler, Parham and Burke are all traditional dorms with 2 persons to a room and central bathrooms on each floor wing. They are also much cheaper than the suite-style dorms, which is nice for the 'rents unless you’re on a full ride scholarship. Especially if they’re going to be paying the very expensive sorority dues and fees. :wink:

Both the suite style and the traditional dorms have their advantages and disadvantages; you just have to pick what is most important to you. I think it’s true that the traditional dorms are more social and that you’re more likely to meet more people in the dorm there. My daughter wanted her own room and chose the suite style dorms, and the people she knew in her dorm were mostly people she met elsewhere who just happened to live in the same dorm she did. That said, she has no regrets about picking the suite style dorm - they are really nice. If you’re going through recruitment, being in Tutwiler certainly puts you closer to the houses, which is much more convenient for meals, study hours, etc., and you will be surrounded by sorority girls. Of course, there are plenty of sorority girls in the suite style dorms, too. If I was not going through recruitment, I’d probably choose Burke over Tut if I wanted a traditional dorm.

As for the roommate, you can go either way. You can choose a room during room selection and get a random roommate, or you can find a roommate prior to room selection, through Roommate Finder or FB or other means, and choose a room together.