UA Honors College vs ASU Barrett Honors College

<p>What would be the major differences between the two, aside from what can be found online?</p>

<li><p>Which would be stronger academically for those aspiring to go to medical school after graduation?</p></li>
<li><p>There seem to more NMS Scholars, etc at Barrett. Is this a plus to be with intellectual peers or a minus because there is more competition to stand out?</p></li>
<li><p>Would one recommend allowing a freshman to take their car to either place?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Any firsthand knowledge would be great.</p>

<p>I've heard ASU Honors is slightly better than UA Honors, though UA is slightly better than ASU overall, academics wise. But I'm interested to hear what other people say.</p>

<p>I would especially like to hear from any U. of A. Honors student about the benefits and the experience they've had as an honor's student at U. of A.</p>

<p>I think their Honors colleges are the same, but UA is overall a little better.</p>

<p>ASU Barrett has obtained a significant funding from the Barrett family sometime ago and Dean Jacobs has been very active in bringing the Honors College into one of best in the country. They will move into their new facility this coming fall. A lot of effort was spent by ASU in building up this nice honors college on campus. UA indeed has a nice honors college but is lacking in funding and focus compare to ASU.</p>

<p>I always read responses from students in the ASU Barrett's Honor's college about all the positive qualities, but never seem to find any U. of A. student's comments on their honors' program experiences.</p>

<p>Barrett has a better rep than U of A honors college, but many of my friends who are straight -A students chose U of A. Many graduates from Barrett get into ivy grad schools. Overall, Barrett runs more smoothly than u of a, at least in my opinion but is a pain because you have to create "contracts" with your professors.</p>

<p>The reason you don't hear about UA honors college is simply because there is not much to hear. Basically all you get is a special room in a special building. Quite frankly, UA has let their honors program get really run down. </p>

<p>ASU on the other hand, went to Swarthmore (one of the top Liberal Arts Schools in the country) and hired their dean from there. Then, the Barrett family and ASU put $109 million dollars into building a 9-acre residential honors campus within ASU. I visited there this week for orientation. It's absolutely incredible. The dorms are gorgeous. It has its own fitness center and 15 eating centers. And it's all only for honors students. Moreover, the class of 2013 is the first class to move in!!</p>

<p>The professors are top-notch, and the Human Event course might be one of the best you will take in college. You get to know the professors really well. Their recommendations will serve you well for grad school. </p>

<p>Graduates attend the likes of Harvard and work at the Mayo Clinic. Readers Digest ranked Barrett Honors College as the Best honors college in the nation. </p>

<p>Finally, ASU as a whole (and especially Barrett) have recently made the campus a "dry campus." As with all campuses, if you want to find a party, you can and will. But the consequences are quite hefty. The stigma of a party school remains, but those who take the time to visit and research the school will find much different. </p>

<p>As my username suggests, I have applied to a couple ivies. I have been accepted to the Honors college at ASU (BHC), and even if I get into one or both of the ivies I applied to, the choice would still be difficult for me. I would recommend to anyone closely looking into applying to ASU and BHC. It has the quality of an ivy or private school at a fraction of the cost.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!!</p>

<p>--ivyleaguewannabe</p>

<p>Good to hear about your research in this. Thanks</p>

<p>I would still like to hear from a U. of A. honor's college student about their experience. It is usually an ASU Barrett's student weighing about U of A's program.</p>

<p>slm, one main difference between the two is the amount of funding each has. ASU Barrett is better funded than UA honor.</p>

<p>Are you a UA honor's student? If so, how do you notice the lower funding?</p>

<p>My son is in the UA Honors college. He participated in a one-unit seminar class during his first semester that he enjoyed. He also was in a very small (15-20 students) honors English class to finish fulfilling the English requirement, and found it to be a stimulating group of students and a motivating professor. Other than that, the honors classes he has taken have been part of much larger lecture-type classes, where he has done additional/alternate projects and presentations to earn honors credits. He really has not participated in the Honors College other than that, although he lived in Yuma (an honors dorm) last year.</p>

<p>Yeah, I didn't realize that U of A did that also, that's how Barrett does it also w/ contracts.</p>

<p>So if they both use contracts with professors for honors' credit, that's not all that different, right?</p>

<p>Barrett is far more selective and far more comprehensive than the honors program at UA.</p>

<p>ASU offers many more honors classes (including class sections restricted to honor students only) than UA does. These are in addition to the "contract" honors classes (where the honors student just does extra work in a non-honors class) that both ASU and UA have.</p>

<p>Because of its extensive financial resources, Barrett also provides other opportunities for its honors students that are not available at UA, such as summer study abroad programs (for Barrett students only) and a brand-new honors "village" (which includes not just dorms, but also a dining hall, classrooms, and other facilities just for honors students). Barrett also provides extensive mentoring/advising for students interested in national scholarships like Rhodes, Fulbright, Goldwater, etc.</p>

<p>slm, I am a parent of a current Barrett student and have done some research last year. My son was accepted to both Barrett and UA Honors and visited both schools. The funding difference between the two Honors program is a known fact. The name Barrett comes from the family who contributed a large sum of money to ASU's Honor College some years ago. Unfortunately UA has not had such big donation yet. UA is a good school in its own merit. However, between the two honors programm, ASU Barrett is better.</p>

<p>Yes, it is a harder process to get into Barrett, it requires another application. It needs details and also recommendations. At U of A it's mainly based on test scores and grades, and people can easily fall through the cracks, so they have an appeals process.</p>

<p>Honors Students at UA can choose their level of participation. They don't have to live in the honors dorms or partake in all Honors activities. The fact that ASU claims to have a better Honors program was confirmed by Readers Digest in 2005. (Consider the source.)</p>

<p>U of A also has sections reserved for only honors students. They also provide lectures and advising (both academic and scholarship help) for their students. While they may not have the funding that Barrett has, there are many resources available at U of A in the Honors College if a student is interested.</p>