UA Housing at The Lofts

<p>

</p>

<p>A little longer than that. The class that entered last fall (2012) had the 4 year housing scholarship as well.</p>

<p>^^^ Bs M, </p>

<p>OH, I was not aware of that (or likely forgotten) … then yes, 2 more years.</p>

<p>My D is a rising Junior.</p>

<p>At this point, I’m just hoping that she chooses to stay in EE next year and make things simple for her Senior year! :-)</p>

<p>dad - idk what your daughters situation is with her roomie (housing scholarship or not). if roomie is non-housing scholarship, then there might be nothing you can do. i would, however, proceed with expressing your displeasure etc. especially if you/your daughter has a paper trail to back her case. can’t hurt at this point. housing DOES do some things that are “impossible” or “not allowed”. they just don’t want people to know about it so they don’t have a flood of people asking for accommodation for their particular situation.</p>

<p>over the years, to me, housing has been one of the more disappointing things about UA, mostly because of the fact that housing was “guaranteed” for LLC kids when my daughter started, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.</p>

<p>if my daughter didn’t have a housing situation that she (and we) was/were happy with, you bet i would be up in their grills about the so-called “guaranteed” housing for LLC students.</p>

<p>My son belongs to a frat that is new on campus and they don’t have a house. Supposedly they have contracted with the Lofts for a group of apartments. My son will be moving into the Lofts with this frat this coming fall. When I contacted housing they said, for my son to live in the Lofts with his 3 frat roommates (one who has a housing scholarship), they would have to go through university housing and pay the $8,800 for the academic year. He does not have an option of signing a lease directly with the Lofts if he wants to stay with those roommates. I am not sure if this is because of the frat situation or because he has a scholarship student in his apartment. I assumed it was because of the frat thing.<br>
It is a premium to pay since the $8,800 is just for the academic year and does not include the summer (although I believe the $8,800 does include the utilities and rental of bedroom furniture). Since he was going to be in honors suite housing next year, if he wasn’t in the Lofts, we have agreed to the premium for one year. After that he will have to find non-university housing for his junior and senior year.</p>

<p>does your son have a housing scholarship or not? if not, he will most likely have to find off campus housing as a jr. sr. anyway.</p>

<p>what is the rate for an honors suite next year? are the lofts more than a regular honors suite?</p>

<p>Here are the projected rates for UA Housing for 2013-2014.</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014_PROJECTED-Residence-Hall-Rates.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014_PROJECTED-Residence-Hall-Rates.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here is the link from the apartment finder with rates for the Lofts at City Center.</p>

<p>[The</a> Lofts at City Center - Tuscaloosa,AL apartment community details and pictures](<a href=“http://tuscaloosaapartmentguide.com/Alabama/Tuscaloosa/Apartment/1828.html]The”>The Lofts at City Center - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>Of course these rates for The Lofts are direct lease rates and do not include utilities or bedroom furniture, only cable and internet.</p>

<p>^edited to add:</p>

<p>Of course there are tradeoffs for both on and off campus living. Living off campus makes it much easier to come and go during breaks such as Christmas when the dorms close since the restrictions don’t apply for leaving and returning. I’m assuming those restrictions don’t apply to those students contracting for an apartment through Housing either. Move in and move out dates would be dictated through Housing for those students though. Still, I think many students are ready to move off campus following their freshman year, or at least by junior year.</p>

<p>Although East Edge isn’t an option through Housing, here is a link to the rates for comparison. These rates reflect 12 month rates, completely furnished units, internet, satellite television, and a utility allowance (usually there is an overage involved). You’ll need to scroll down on the link to see all rates.</p>

<p>[Floor</a> Plans — East Edge](<a href=“East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL”>East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>FYI for those looking at EE, the mattress and frame aren’t the same dimensions, and the mattress is just like the one in the dorms. A queen size mattress topper is too big and will hang off the sides of the mattress. The bed is a full XL, but queen sheets and comforters will fit.</p>