UA versus other schools…. on the fence? This might help

<p>It’s a given that many people are agonizing right now over which college to choose; for example the current thread on this forum about Oklahoma versus Alabama. That thread reminded me about something I read on this CC forum a couple of months ago that I thought really differentiated UA versus other schools… the perception that Alabama WANTS YOU versus other schools that seem to send the message, “tell us, WHY we should allow you to come to our school”! :-)</p>

<p>For those on the fence about whether to choose the University of Alabama; I think what CC forum member “Lattelady” from North Texas wrote back on November 15th, 2012 might help your decision. It is one of many pieces of great information this forum has provided us.</p>

<p>Her quote below is a summary of the message she and her DD received from the school during the Capstone Scholars Day last year. I’m taking the liberty of re-posting it as it was buried within the string (message #19 - link below).</p>

<p>Quoting “Lattelady”…
“What we heard is this: We know you are smart and hard-working and could go to a variety of colleges. We want you here. We aren’t going to treat you like you are fortunate to be here. We are going to treat you like we are fortunate to have you. And we are going to give you an education to rival or exceed your other choices, coupled with the personal touch of Alabama.”
Source: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1416031-capstone-scholars-day-2.html?highlight=capstone+scholars[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1416031-capstone-scholars-day-2.html?highlight=capstone+scholars</a></p>

<p>While this is only one quote that bolsters my perception of UA in this regard, it is also supported by other information from CC as well as what a work colleague said; who summed up his DD’s excellent first semester experience with… “Alabama simply GETS IT”!</p>

<p>Thanks again to “Lattelady” and the many others on this forum!</p>

<p>I’d like to echo the sentiments expressed above. The personal touch we’ve experienced at UA had been nothing short of stunning…and it continues, nearly three years into this amazing journey. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1430597-unbelievable.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1430597-unbelievable.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We really do need a “like” button! Thanks for reposting her comment. I remember reading that at the time she posted it and thinking “YES!..this was our takeaway from our visit too!”</p>

<p>We second and ditto the above statements…ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>Another ditto here. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Uh, I meant “has,” not “had.” :)</p>

<p>DITTO!</p>

<p>And they “want” not “beg”. We have had that experience. If they are feeling like they have to beg for your student to come to their school, makes one wonder.</p>

<p>After one semester, I can report that D is completely happy with her choice. And I’ve learned something over the last year. There are plenty of students of higher caliber than my D. Many CCers (or their students) are top students. My D was a top student at her HS. When a top student is looking at several highly-selective schools and Alabama, it is possible for the student (or their parents) to think that they will come into UA and be a golden star (as opposed to going to a highly-selective school where everyone is of fairly equal caliber). We’ve seen (beginning this time last year when she was not selected for UFE interview) that there are many, many very fine students applying to and enrolled in Alabama. There are a lot of different opportunities and places for students to shine. You needn’t worry that your top student won’t be in good company nor should you expect that your top student will get everything they apply for as there will be lots of very good students also seeking opportunities. The good news is that there are many opportunities and much help to get your student plugged in. Also of note is that there does not appear to be the competitive atmosphere that some highly-selective schools are known for. D is fortunate to be in CBHP and I know that she can turn to her fellow CBH-mates for help (and has). Some other school’s top programs don’t have that type of camaraderie and are more dog-eat-dog. </p>

<p>Since ThorEric shared my comment above, I thought I’d just add these additional thoughts. Truly, our journey began a year ago. Until then, UA was the safety school D applied at her parent’s request because of merit scholarships. Even a year ago, before we left for CSD, D asked “what if I don’t like it?” We told her that all we’d ever asked her to do was apply and visit. Beyond that, it was up to her. We came for Capstone Scholars Day and what else can I say but … Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>My daughter didn’t make finalist for UFE either, and it was the first rejection she had ever experienced in her life. So so painful, and she found out on her 18th birthday to make it even worse. I was surprised when Dr. Sharpe reached out to her a few days later and helped her to see what other options she might pursue at Alabama. Because he had taken the time to get to know her as a distinct individual, he understood her driven personality and how she needed to feel that she was still going to make a difference and experience success. To see how she has grown in maturity and confidence at Alabama since then is nothing short of joy for this mama.</p>

<p>I’ve visited campus numerous times over the past 2 years. There is no shortage of high caliber students walking the grounds of BAMA. Whether on The Strip, downtown, around the Quad, at the Ferg or at the rec, you’ll discover students with bright smiles and a willingness to extend some southern hospitality.
My daughter’s friend visited her during winter break. Her friend is a freshman at Princeton. He was offered a UFE position and Academic Elite at Alabama but chose Princeton. He’s a young man from a small mid-western town. Obviously, he’s brilliant and outgoing. My point is this; he had about 5 sentences to sum up his first semester at university. My daughter had about 30 minutes of blathering about her experience at BAMA. They’re both having a great experience but certainly in different ways. After he left, my daughter said to me, I’m so happy to be in Alabama and not in New Jersey.
My response: ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>What are the downsides of UA?</p>

<p>“What are the downsides of UA?”</p>

<p>This year they let that a&m school beat them :frowning: </p>

<p>Next year. Next year! :slight_smile: RTR</p>

<p>Downsides of UA? Let me know if you find any because we certainly haven’t. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>sunshine341: Well, if you are looking for downsides, you probably won’t find them here. Is the university absolutely perfect? Well, nothing is, but I can tell you the upside.</p>

<p>I often find myself citing some of the reasons that my son has chosen this fine university, for example: according to the U.S. News and World Reports annual college rankings the University of Alabama is among the top 50 public universities in the nation. Currently it is ranked at 32. Accordingly, the university has produced 15 Rhodes Scholars and in the past two decades they have also produced 37 Goldwater Scholars, 21 Hollings Scholars, 13 Truman Scholars, 2 Javits’ fellows, 1 Udall Scholar and 1 Portz Scholar. As you can see the University of Alabama has a strong academic heritage.</p>

<pre><code> But The University of Alabama offers many educational and extracurricular opportunities for students to become involved in. There is the Honors College with several honors programs, featuring small classes. There are over 500 registered student organizations on campus. There are a variety of religious houses located on or close to campus. There are intramural and regular sports teams. Oh, don’t forget that there is a football team as well. The University of Alabama’s football team, affectionately known as “The Crimson Tide”, just recently won the 2012 BCS National Championship title!
</code></pre>

<p>I probably don’t need to add this, but there are the spectacular “super suites”, one of the most beautiful campuses, the terrific weather, the most engaged students, the best dedicated professors and an unprecedented Science and Engineering complex, Add these to the impressive personal touch that you can experience at the university and you have a winning formula.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m really pondering this question. Most of the things I can think of that some might look to for ‘downsides’ are just matters of preference: size, location, weather, etc. We honestly haven’t seen any true downsides. The grade scale is different than many schools we have friends at, but it isn’t necessarily a downside.</p>

<p>Mind sharing what the grading scale is and how it’s a bit different?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The surf is lousy, there’s no huli-huli chicken, and you can’t go shirtless in January unless you’re crazy, drunk, or both. ;)</p>

<p>All kidding aside, it’s a valid question that I want to answer honestly. So here goes: we haven’t found a downside to 'Bama that rises above the level of nitpicking. My son could not be having a better, more balanced college experience if he’d scripted it. </p>

<p>Did we know this would be the case when he entered UA in the Fall of 2010? Absolutely not. Is 'Bama for everyone? Absolutely not. Is it worth a serious look? Absolutely.</p>

<p>Cast aside whatever preconceived notions you may have about this place and pay a visit. Seeing is believing.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Tomorrow I will post a link to it (on my phone app right now) but we are more used to a straight 4.0 scale: 90-100 =A which is 4 points per credit hour, 80-89=B which is 3 points, etc. UA has a ± scale (which I gather is a common SEC thing… Heck, it may be very common in the country but my other two kids had straight 4/3/2/1 scales. </p>

<p>An A+ is a 4.3 and counts toward the GPA but the GPA will never be reported above a 4.0. Does that make sense? An A- is a 3.67. You can find it on the registrar section of the UA website, but I’ll post a link tomorrow if no one does tonight.</p>

<p>UA Grade Terminology link:</p>

<p>[UA</a> Grade Terminology | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/myfaculty/grade-reporting/grade-terminology/]UA”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/myfaculty/grade-reporting/grade-terminology/)</p>

<p>We’ve seen (beginning this time last year when she was not selected for UFE interview) that there are many, many very fine students applying to and enrolled in Alabama. There are a lot of different opportunities and places for students to shine. You needn’t worry that your top student won’t be in good company…</p>

<p>That is so true! DS has always been an ace Latin student (800 on Latin SAT II), but there’s a girl in his Latin class who outshines him. (This does not bother DS in the least. He thinks the girl in question is very pretty, and he likes the fact that she’s so smart. He thinks smart girls are hot. ;)) </p>

<p>Plus, a guy in DS’s Greek class is one of the top classics students in the country!</p>

<p>In the Honors College, a smart kid will never lack for good fellowship – and intellectually stimulating conversations – with other smart kids. And DS has found that this extends far beyond the Honors College. He’s had great times with and learned a ton from virtually everyone he has known at Bama.</p>