UC Acceptance rates for 2022 incoming high school & transfers are out

It’s interesting that all but UCB and UCLA have a higher acceptance rate for OOS applicants than in-state. I thought nearly all UCs were very challenging for an OOS student, except maybe Merced, Riverside and possibly SC.

I somewhat disagree with @ucbalumnus because if you look at the 2021 admit cycle for the UCs from my link in post #9, you’ll find that for OOS students, UCI admitted 8,627/11,699 (admits/applicants), 73.7%, and UCD admitted 7,649/9,534, 80.2%. There’s no excuse for either of these UCs to admit at that rate, because there isn’t going to be necessarily a high-achieving, self-selecting set of OOS students who apply, except for the 3.4 gpa minimum which is not particularly high-standing – for in-state, the minimum is even lower, 3.1, and I have no clue what this encompasses. Of course, their yields weren’t very good: UCI’s was 971/8,627 (enrolled/admitted), 11.3%, and UCD’s was 499/7,649, 6.5%.

And only UCB and UCM had a lower admit rate in 2021 for in-state vis-à-vis OOS; UCLA’s was 9.9% for CA residents and 13.8% for OOS, but these latter undoubtedly had a bit higher stats, with the Internationals having the highest stats of the three residential cohorts. There’s actually a CA law that requires higher standing for non-resident students.

This year, both UCI and UCD toned down the OOS admits a bit because of the order to reduce non-resident enrollment; UCI’s AR in 2022 for OOS was 36.6% and UCD’s was 59.8%.

Also, it’s interesting that UCB and LA have ~40% of their incoming students that are transfers. It’s very different than the private universities like Stanford, USC, Pepperdine and Santa Clara.

All the points everyone made to your quote are undoubtedly true, and when you factor in that there are > 100 community colleges in CA, with one reasonably close to any resident, this would remove room-and-board costs. Additionally, for native CA students, there can be a waiving of first- and sometimes second-year tuition.

Let me add that for UCB, UCLA, and UCSD, the more in-demand majors are more restrictive of entry. So xfers often look for majors that are seemingly even more unrelated to their desired future vocational goals; e.g, there’s a subset of UCLA students from the westside of LA area who desire to be dentists in its various specialties, so they xfer to the University and study things like Sociology, Anthropology, and History and then attend dental school. Engineering is such a prohibitive an admit for all three UCs, so students look for peripherally based CS and E type majors. Here’s a link to the majors xfers to UCLA chose in 2021, which has lot of Social Science and not a lot of tech-type majors.

And for xfers, the internship thing can be tougher – only two years to accomplish them, so they might have to do them as recent graduates.

2 Likes