UC Admissions Questions

<li><p>I heard every grade above a 90 is considered an “A.” If my school grading scale (OOS) is A= 94-100 and sends numbered transcripts, will 90’s still be considered “A’s?”</p></li>
<li><p>How is rank factored in as part of the equation? </p></li>
<li><p>I do not have any foreign language credits. While my counselor isl be able to explain my situation in his recommendation, the UC’s do not want counselor recommendations. Does this mean I am automatically disqualified for not fulfilling the A-G requirements?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>YOu really should to contact a couple of UCs admissions offices to ask that.</p>

<p>class rank is not a consideration for admissions. The UCs will not accept GC recs.</p>

<p>Foreign language is a requirement for admissions, by grades in a-g courses. If you don't qualify by grades and a-g courses (since you didn't take them all), you can still qualify for admissions by testing alone, For OOS, I think you need to average 700+ on each test.</p>

<p>Please list your schools grading scale in the additional comments section of the application. This will help reviewers when reviewing your application. You might also contact the application help desk to see if there is a way of submitting an optional grading system into the application.</p>

<p>bluebayou is correct about the admissions by exam. Look at the UC site to read about it. My son went this route last year, since we homeschool. His SAT scores are quite high - his five sections were 800/830/740/800/800 He also had some pretty spectacular honors and awards. </p>

<p>There does not seem to be any place on the application that asks you if you are applying by exam. This drove us nuts, because we worried about making a mistake. When he went to submit, he got a popup screen telling him that he did not have all the a-h requirements and did he still want to submit. He did.</p>

<p>I did call admissions at UCSD to figure out how the handled the point system for people applying this way, and was told they get so few, they just look at those applications separately. Later I read a report about admissions at the UCs and apparently only about 300 people apply that way, per year. </p>

<p>It worked quite well - he got accepted to UCLA, UCSD and Berkeley. He got turned down by UCSC. (No, I am not kidding). He was also asked to apply for regents at UCLA and UCSC (again, not kidding). Since he was also accepted at his two EA schools, he never pursued the regents options. UCLA did accept him into his honors program, whatever that meant.</p>

<p>^ How did he score 830 in one section of the SAT?</p>

<p>^typo - 730. (bet you could have figured that out)</p>

<p>Just checking, I wasn't taking on a sarcastic tone.</p>