Uc application confidentiality

On the Uc application part where they ask about any other things that may have affected your grade I put that I was raped. But now I am worried that they might contact the authorities and get me and my family into legal issues. I just want to put everything that happened to me in the past but I want to know if the applications are confidential.

First of all, hugs to you. I’m sorry you’ve had a terrible, traumatic experience. Sending more hugs. The UCs do have counseling services, so make sure you start to set up your support system when you get there.

Regarding your question: The admissions committees have seen a number of private issues come through their applications.

The person whom I know, who is an admissions committee member at our local UC, maintains her professionalism and confidentiality. When we talk about work, she mentions how some students have described traumatic and criminal experiences in their apps but she has never indicated anything regarding what those are.

I would assume that all of the UC committees maintain high standards of confidentiality unless a student continues to describe being harmed or abused. Then, I would think authorities would be contacted to PROTECT the student because they are obligated by law, to report abusive situations.

Thank you so much I was so anxious. Like I said I just mentioned it once and I got help for it so I’m fine now but my parents don’t know and I don’t want them to know. So being a minor would the confidentiality apply to my situation as well?

Confidentiality applies to any student. The UC’s are going to primarily focus on your academics.
Again, they would intervene if you were being harmed in any way.

Your guidance counselor may provide some background information, but your parents wont know what information the GC will give.

As of now, your correspondence will come to you via your portal. Your parents may get some correspondence by mail (Parent day, homecoming, etc.)

When you turn 18, the information will only come to you.

This means any correspondence re: housing, fees, and activities will only come to you. As a parent, this can be a nuisance because my daughter would “forget” to mention that she was overdue for room and board and we had to access her accounts, when she allowed us access, to pay fees.

Thank you so much I feel so much better. I just want to move forward with my life.

Please make sure that when you are feeling down, please seek your supporters. Stay positive and strong! You do you! Access anyone and anything that will help you in growing forward. Use the counseling services at your university. It will help.

Keep us updated.
Good luck!!!