UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

does committing early help w/ housing applications or is everything considered after May 1st?

It doesnt help as per FAQ. You need to apply by the deadline of May 2.

1 Like

@sirenlily: My daughter is a Cal admit into L&S for Molecular and Cellular Biology. She also has a UCSD admission for the same major. She is super conflicted and keeps wavering back and forth. We visited SD for Triton Day and the campus, location and research access makes it so so exciting! UCSD also has a 5 year MS program which is very enticing. But then Cal is Cal… SUCH a hard decision! Let’s see how she feels after Cal Day. Cal is half hour away from home too and does not help the decision

We are in the same boat! Both such good schools! hard to choose! We are in So Cal- Redondo Beach so SD is 2 hours away, Cal on the other hand, we would need to fly up! But she will have family in Pleasanton, San Jose and Saratoga. We will visit Cal day and hopefully that will give her some assurance on which school she feels more connected to

what is the 5 year MS program? daughter’s major at SD is Human Biology

Bowles does have an application process, but once a student gets in, they have a choice to stay up to 4 years. Last year Bowles did tours on Cal Day. It’s right next to the stadium and worth seeing. There are also a couple of faculty-in-residence who live at Bowles. It’s nice to have mentorship from them and the upper class students who live there. The price is on the higher tier (was the same as a Foothill suite double we were offered by Cal Housing). DD went with Bowles because of the option to stay more than 1 year. She was also waitlisted for a theme program at Clark Kerr, which was also a top choice.

2 Likes

An option to get a MS in one year after the bachelor’s. Not 100% sure of eligibility, conditions etc. It seems many students opt for it.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding withdrawing SIR from one UC and accepting another UC. My kid was accepted to both Cal & UCLA for fall 2023 cycle and SIR’d with UCLA. I feel that there might be a change of heart at this time and would like to plan for it if it happens. So would like to know what is the proper process for withdrawing SIR from UCLA and then SIR with Cal. Appreciate any help in this regard. @Gumbymom / Other members.

1 Like

I am assuming you already paid the deposit which you will forfeit if you withdraw from UCLA? If you do not see an option to withdraw in the student portal, then you can email UCLA admissions.

If he wants to SIR to UCB, he should enroll first there then withdraw from UCLA after the SIR goes through. You will have to pay another enrollment deposit and be aware of the housing deadline on May 2.

Is your DD happy at Bowles? It looks beautiful and the built in community seems special. But some of the posts on Reddit are negative. I’d love to hear your DD’s impressions. Also, how competitive do you think it is to be selected? Thanks.

1 Like

We’d love to hear more about living at Bowles, too!

@Gumbymom yes we already paid the deposit and understand that we have to forfeit it. There is an option in UCLA admissions page to withdraw, but not sure whether that can be used for after SIR withdrawal. Also question about enrolling in UCB first, I read in the admissions page that we can have only one SIR at a time, so wondering whether would there be any problem with that. Thanks.

If you SIR to UCB, there could be a popup or a statement stating you have already SIR’d to another campus. As long as you withdraw from UCLA within a reasonable period like 48 hours, it will not be an issue. The issue about double depositing will come after May 1.

1 Like

Thanks for the guidance.

1 Like

My daughter received an interview for the seed scholar. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Didn’t know MCB is a Bachelor of Arts degree? thought it was BS?
What makes is a BA?

Bachelor of Arts (BA)
The undergraduate major in Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB)

Does Rausser College not have the 7 breadth requirements?

The College of Letters and Science awards BAs for all degrees. It doesn’t have anything to do with the rigor of the degree. It’s my understanding it’s a BA because the 7 breadth courses make it more like a liberal arts degree.

1 Like

I believe only the EEP (Environmental Economics and Policy) degree in Rausser CNR has the 7 breadth requirements (I suspect partly because both L&S and CNR used to offer that degree, but now it’s only offered in CNR). I think the rest of the majors have a narrower breadth requirement since they require a lot more core classes (Bio, Chem, Physics, etc.). I think the Colleges of Engineering & Chemistry also have narrower breadth requirements for the same reason. You can check out the requirements for all the RCNR majors on their Major Snapshots and Sample Plans page.

1 Like

For anyone looking at various bio-related majors at Cal, you may find this page on the various undergrad Bio degrees useful.

3 Likes