UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Because the MSE major requires the 7 series.

They wouldn’t prevent him from taking the 5 series, it just wouldn’t count :wink:

Oh I see, how weird!

Most schools have separate Physics series courses targeted specifically for Engineering students which is the 7 series at UCB.

It says it directly in the title:

PHYSICS 7A Physics for Scientists and Engineers 4 Units [+]Expand course description

PHYSICS 7B Physics for Scientists and Engineers 4 Units [+]Expand course description

PHYSICS 7C Physics for Scientists and Engineers 4 Units [+]Expand course description

As a physics major, my son was told he could take either the 5 or 7 series, but the 5 series was highly recommended.

1 Like

But you stated he is a Material Engineering major? I am not understanding?

Physics 5 or 7 - Berkeley Engineering.

It’s my son that is the MSE major. I believe @socalmom007’s son is a physics major?

Sorry for the confusion. I linked a UCB FAQ regarding which series is appropriate.

Yes, thanks. That page is the FAQ my son read before talking to his advisor and which gave him the idea that he had a choice. The FAQ says that “most other engineering majors will allow students to petition to use the Physics 5 series in place of Physics 7 series” so he thought he could take the 5 series… however, his advisor said that in practice, they really only allow that option for people transferring in to COE from L&S physics.

Thank you for the information so why is the FAQ stating that the 5 Series is specific for Physics majors? Definitely mixed signals here.

I agree, not terribly straight forward.

Is the 5 series also for the premed kids?

No, the 5 series is intended primarily for physics majors.

I believe that premeds typically take the 8 series (for example, MCB majors), but they can also take the 7 series (for example, bioengineering majors).

1 Like

What if our AP scores won’t be sent to UCB on time? CollegeBoard says they can only process orders on July 16th, which is after the July 15th deadline, so my AP scores will be sent a couple of days late. Should I contact admissions, and if so, what email would that be? I was about to fill out the Update form on MAP@Berkeley, but it seems that this is only about submitting late transcripts, not AP scores?

question on registration since its coming up this Thursday? is it most likely that my daughter won’t get into into Chem 1A /lab and Math 10A?

Is this about 2023 AP scores, or previous years?

If you are talking about this year’s AP scores and they would affect course placement (for example a calculus score affecting math placement), I would suggest the student contact an advisor in their department or college with any questions about how to enroll this Thursday.

As far as the admission office is concerned, I wouldn’t worry about the AP scores being a few days late as long as they are sent eventually by college board. My son’s calcentral still shows 2 late transcripts and his advisor said not to worry.

Did an advisor approve the fall schedule?

Is there anything else that needs to be done before registration regarding prerequisites?

Many freshman will be enrolling in these classes. The student will need to be very flexible in the course and section times that are open and definitely get on the waitlist if necessary. Have backup schedules available.

2 Likes

My procrastinating son finally scheduled his meeting with academic advisor tomorrow at 3 pm. I don’t know if its required or suggested. He also needs to finalize his 1/2/3-unit course so he can meet the 13 units requirement.

He is still waiting to add classes to his cart, says he has figured out all in his mind.

2 more days and I will know for sure :slight_smile:

And make sure they are ready to add classes the second their time slot opens! It’s like getting Taylor Swift tickets or something!

1 Like

COE only requires 12 unit minimum per semester so unless your son wants to take more no need to go beyond that minimum. Caveat is to include atleast 2 technical major specific courses of 3 units each per semester. Advising is not needed for enrollment but no harm in meeting the advisor.