UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

On the flipside - At Cal, they will absolutely push you out AFTER 4 years unless you obtain prior permission for a 9th semester due to increased workload from a double major.

Same at UCLA pretty much. But you’ve got 4 years. Plus folks shouldn’t underestimate that there will be times you can’t get what you want/need in terms of courses. So you may need that time!

4 Likes

What if one has APs plus dual enrollment that can fulfill a lot of GE

As long as you are technically entering as a freshman, you are allowed 8 semesters to graduate (or 9 as a double major).

My understanding is that:

• You are a freshman applicant if you only took college courses while you were still in high school. I believe that this can include courses in the summer after you graduate from high school. And I do not think there is a unit limit on how many of these courses you can take while you are in high school. I don’t immediately see a reference to link for this, but I’m sure someone here will correct me if I’m wrong :smile:
  • You are a transfer applicant if you took classes at college during the academic year, after leaving high school (during a fall, winter, or spring semester / quarter).
1 Like

Note that units earned from AP courses won’t count against students or push them over the max but, at least for L&S, they can’t be used to satisfy the seven-course breadth requirement. Seven-Course Breadth | L&S Advising. AP courses can be used to meet entry level writing and quantitative reasoning requirements, the foreign language requirement, and some lower level major requirements. My second year has extra units that moved her into junior standing but that doesn’t help with much, especially because class selection times are based on the number of terms at UCB.

1 Like

Hi! This is an old post but I had a question. For UC schools, would you report an AP score of 4? For college of engineering . TIA!

1 Like

UC’s accept scores of 3,4 and 5 depending upon campus and major. Yes, I would report a 4.

1 Like

My kid is a Cal first year in L&S and reported some AP scores of both 3 and 4 and got unit credit for both.

2 Likes

I see you said engineering. If you are accepted and commit you’ll have to submit a College Board, and or, IB report to the UC. Let the school decide what they will and won’t give you credit for. (You can look it up for different UC schools and colleges. Ours was very accurate in what I had calculated it to be, although I couldn’t quite believe the test scores counted for as much as they did.

so does getting unit credit mean you are exempt from needing to take a class in the subject area (fulfilling a requirement) or does it just exempt you from a beginning class and bump you up to the next level in that subject? I always get confused how getting the AP credit helps you. Thanks!

At Cal, you get credit for a specific class.

2 Likes

It depends on the college and AP exam. You might get credit for a specific class, you might fulfill a requirement without giving specific class credit, or you might just get units.

For example here is a listing for CoE: Exams - Berkeley Engineering
Some examples for what is allowed in CoE:

• Calc AB (3 or higher) gives 2.68 units and credit for MATH 1A
  • Psychology (3 or higher) gives 2.68 units and credit for one lower division Humanities or Social Science (breadth requirement, but not a specific class)
  • Statistics (3 or higher) gives 2.68 units, but doesn’t pass you out of any classes

You will want to check requirements for your specific college and the AP exams you have taken (or plan to take).

2 Likes

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ap-credits/berkeley.html

Here are the AP and IB tabs for Letters & Science.

2 Likes

perfect! thank you!

English
Literature and Composition: Score of 4 satisfies Part A of the Reading and Composition requirement; score of 5 satisfies the entire Reading and Composition requirement (Part A and Part B).

Language and Composition: Score of 4 or 5 satisfies Part A of the Reading and Composition requirement.

Is this mean students must pass BOTH AP English Literature and AP English & Composition to get credit?

As far as I can tell, you only need one AP exam. The Reading and Composition requirement has a Part A, and Part B. You can pass part A with either exam, but to pass out of both exams you need a 5 on AP Lit & Comp.

• If you get 4+ on Lang & Comp, OR 4 on Lit & Comp, you satisfy Part A.
  • If you get 5 on Lit & Comp, you satisfy Part A and Part B.
3 Likes

No.

If you took AP Lit and got a 5 then you will waive out of R&C A and R&C B. In all other scenarios, whether you took one of the APs or both, you can only waive R&C A, assuming you got 4.

2 Likes

For those curious about the number of applications this year to UCB (and other UC campuses), broken down by in state, OOS, and international, those numbers are all right here in this handy dandy chart.

7 Likes

I think it is interesting that such a big percent of Cal’s applications are coming from OOS, and that more Cali students apply elsewhere.

1 Like

I think it may depend on which college a student is in. My kid got a 5 on the IB high level English A exam and waived out of all Reading and Composition parts A&B in Letters and Science.

2 Likes