UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

It was just information for applicants to L&S given they are admitted. I just lept from my own body out of fear when I saw it in my inbox lol! Admission season does something to your nerves, that’s for sure!

1 Like

The email is likely promotional

2 Likes

The first email we received about pathways was on 2/15 and it contained a link to all the pathways including Traditional. This second email from today only mentioned FPF and Global Edge (London). Maybe I’m reading too much into this but it makes me think she will not be offered the Traditional pathway.

But if she really is offered FPF I would be super happy for her. Back in the days I was offered the same (it was a different name before, Spring deferral with option to take Berkeley Extensions in the Fall).

Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

We have gotten both emails as well and did not apply to L & S. There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom so seems like promotional.

I wouldn’t mind a spring deferral lol. Actually pathways sounds like exactly what I would have liked in a huge UC, to be in a smaller cohort is an easier adjustment for those who are used to small schools and lean towards being introverts. Can kids choose this option if they are admitted the mainstream way?

4 Likes

Didn’t get the email for some reason…

~20 years ago we couldn’t choose.
Now I’m not so sure. The wording is vague and says you “may be asked to select”:

Should you be admitted to UC Berkeley, you may be asked to select a First Year Pathway. All of these pathways offer you high caliber Berkeley, or transferable, courses, housing, and student activities that allow you to build pride, trust, and community with your peers, faculty, and staff. Please note some of the pathways have additional fees or costs associated with them.

If you are admitted from the wait list, you may only be offered limited pathways. While this may cause initial concern or disappointment, the reality is that if you are admitted, you will still be among the roughly 13,000 admitted freshman students who competed successfully in UC Berkeley’s exceptional applicant pool. You will still receive the same status and privileges of all undergraduates.

1 Like

which college did you apply to?

I think they can…my daughter is interested in them no matter how she gets admitted, if she does! We have looked at the website a bit and it does seem open to all admitted students.

1 Like

Which school did you apply to? L&S?

We just get this FPF program email too. We do not remember receiving any similar email before. We did mention in the application that we like to do some interdisciplinary study between art and computer science. And we also indicated that we are interested studding abroad.

2 Likes

I got the FPF email too. I doubt it means anything at all though. Probably just another marketing email.

1 Like

Letters & Science

My S23 also didn’t receive an email and he’s applied to L&S. Maybe it’s for instate applicants? We’re OOS. No idea if that would make any difference.

1 Like

My son is a freshman in L&S and he was able to choose FPF for the fall semester. I believe some students are admitted directly to the program, others can choose. It was a good fit for a slower introduction for my son.

4 Likes

In 2021 I believe the only students who got off the waitlist were the ones who indicated they would be ok with FPF. It wasn’t a ton of students who got in after that, but in from what I could tell the few who did had opted in. So keep that in mind should you get waitlisted.

1 Like

I have a PhD from UCLA, and I have taught at community colleges as well as UC’s and Cal state schools… Absolutely take the UC transfer classes at community college. You will save a ton of money and end up with the same degree. Depending on your desired major there are many good community college option.

7 Likes

S20 is at UC Berkeley. FPF is offered to all freshmen I believe and is a sub-cohort within Berkeley itself (smaller classes, limited courses, extra fees). Getting FPF email should be just informational, not an indication that you will not be offered traditional pathway. It is an opt-in for all freshmen, imo.

4 Likes

If you are in SF, then apart from the “local” UCs, UCI is the most convenient for you.

Nonstop flights every hour from the Bay Area to John Wayne Airport, which is 6 minutes from UCI.

3 Likes

S23 is also waitlisted for CS at Santa Cruz. That actually gives us more hope on the UCB.

2 Likes