UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

If she gets in UCB - and I think she has a very solid chance - she’s gonna come hang out with my D at CNR :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow that would be a hard choice! CNR at Cal is great, but life for students at the 5Cs is sooooo good, and some of the other Claremont schools are also very strong in environmental coursework.

I think back to back visits might show the way.

4 Likes

UC Berkeley, because my DD would not qualify for any of the Ivys’ need based scholarships (I know they waive tuition for most students) and while she wouldn’t qualify for UC’s free tuition either (the majority of UC students pay no tuition at all), the full price UC tuition of $17k/yr is still WAY less than the Ivy’s full price tuition of $70K/yr or whatever it is.

1 Like

How impacted is environmental sciences at Berkeley?

I don’t believe that is an impacted major at UCB

1 out of every 6 Stanford students is now a CS major. Thinking, they don’t have the impacted major concept. 16% of seniors are CS majors. How did we get here?

1 Like

UC and Cal State and elsewhere need to hire more CS professors pronto. Supply and demand. . .

1 Like

The problem is, why deal with the bureaucracy and (relatively) low pay of academia, when you get make a lot more money and potentially have an overall better lifestyle working in industry? Academia these days is not considered an attractive career choice. Tech is.

5 Likes

Is there any correlation with UCLA waitlist students getting accepted to UCB, i.e. UCLA waitlists knowing UCB might accept them? Some students at our school believe that was the case, but not sure how true it is.

UC’s review applications independently and do not know which UC campuses the student has been accepted, waitlisted or denied. They do not share information.

2 Likes

I don’t know. . .I have a few relatives/friends getting their PhDs and “post docs” who long to just stay in academia forever. . .but I suppose they are in the minority. I do know competition is tight to be hired to teach in beautiful campuses like UCSB (maybe not for CS though).

1 Like

As someone who left academia a number of years ago after getting a PhD, there was just no reasonable way to make it work - not only for me, but for many with whom I graduated. Very few went on to academic careers and, of those who did, even among those with coveted tenure track jobs, many are miserable and considering leaving. Some are now actively in the process of leaving. A few are more or less satisfied with their careers. I will note that this is NOT CS or a related field - so things may be different in those disciplines. But, for many, academia is not a happy place right now. But, sure, there was a time I was a starry-eyed PhD student dreaming of an academic career. But that was long ago before the realities of that career had come into greater focus.

So I do understand those who choose industry over academics, and can imagine that contributing to the teaching shortage in CS departments.

3 Likes

I completely agree. Also a PhD and former academic. The stress of academia is just not worth it. Not CS.

2 Likes

I would like to share this with the folks - A parent shared this at our kids’ school

3 Likes

@Olivia3boys I work at a college, we struggle to hire CS instructors because they can make so much more money in the private sector, so not as motivated to come be professors!

4 Likes

We need a national reckoning for the salary for professors in these high demand fields like CS and nursing. It’s almost insulting when a new graduate with 1-2 years experience is making more than a person with a terminal degree and 10+ years of professional experience.

6 Likes

What if we used most H1B visas to bring in qualified computer science instructors from Asia and Eastern Europe?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Berkeley Portal Astrology Discussion 2023

Universities do find the money to pay their professors in their Law, Business, and Medical schools. And their football coach, and their endowment and real estate portfolio managers.

2 Likes

The language barrier would be one glaring issue. Clear communication and mastery of the language in which they teach is one of the most important skills a professor has. Students routinely complain when professors have heavy accents (understandable). Additionally, most professors are expected to publish and those with average English skills struggle to write academic papers without heavy editing by their collaborators or a paid service.

2 Likes