UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

My understanding is the SEEDs program is not just “ historically marginalized undergraduate populations” since they have been trying to include more exceptional students.

1 Like

FWIW my daughter who has all kinds of disparate acceptances across UCs, CSUs, and private small liberal arts colleges has been looking at admitted students profiles for all of them and says that so far only Davis and Santa Cruz look like they have “interesting” kids (prob a little quirky) who are her type. So maybe she will end up at Davis! We are visiting a ton of schools next week but we haven’t found time yet to fit in Davis. It’s closer to us, so that’s good. Glad your daughter loves it! UC Berkeley would probably also be a good personality fit for my daughter but she is waitlisted and actually glad about it as it is 10 minutes’ walk from our house and she wants to spread her wings a little. Her direct quote in the text to tell us she was waitlisted at Cal was “pretty happy lol i think getting in was gonna make me stressed out.” :sob:

6 Likes

Some fun facts about UC Davis for your D.

UC Davis historically started as UC Berkeley’s University Farm. They also have a Davis-Berkeley shuttle for Students/Faculty and Staff. Davis-Berkeley Shuttle

Professors from UCB will sometimes teach classes at UC Davis.

5 Likes

Yes! My dear friend from high school’s father was an Econ professor for decades at Davis, but he lives here in the Berkeley hills and took the shuttle to Davis to teach! And there was tons of cross-pollination between professors and the two campuses.

4 Likes

is it worth applying for? your thoughts?

1 Like

Not UC DAVIS?

1 Like

D rejected
Unweighted gpa 4.0, weighted 4.52
L & S, GMP
in state, So Cal
lots of ECs
6 APs completed, 4 in progress
ELC Yes

Accepted: UCSD, UCD, UCSC, SLO, SDSU, CSULB, ASU, UMASS, U of O, OSU
Waitlisted: BU, BC, UCSB, UCLA

S23 -Admitted to letters and science!
UW UC GPA 3.96, capped weighted 4.26, uncapped 4.61. 9 AP Classes (all at school, no self study, highest rigor at high school)
math/physics interests
admitted to UCSC and UCSB also. waitlisted at UCLA, NYU. rejection MIT.

3 Likes

That is a personal decision but if you can crank out 2 more essays by the deadline, then why not? You can always decline if you change your mind and it may give more time to research the possibilities.

2 Likes

I believe the SEED scholar info is sent to everyone accepted at Cal that is consider to be in a minority and will be working in a STEM field. I’d say that is probably a large number. As I remember my son had to write an essay. Didn’t get it. But did get the alumni leadership one instead.

1 Like

Deleted

Rejected (Take my stat with a huge grain of salt since I am international and many stats are not really translatable, and I don’t know how UC weighs them)

GPA: Not Applicable
Rank 3rd in class of 250
3 APs
A lot of weird ECs

Accepted: UCSB, UIUC

Waitlisted: UCI, UCSD

Rejected: UCB

Major choice in all schools: Physics

1 Like

Not yet! She was just accepted this year and will most likely be starting in the fall.

4 Likes

Decision: Waitlist
Major applied to: Computer Science (L&S)
ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.25
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.63

ELC (top 9% CA HS): yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
13 AP Courses (8 in 10-11)

SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars:
Laptop/PC Resale Business
Wrote a mobile app for school
ASB Senior Class Vice President
App Development Internship
Robotics Co-Captain
President of Computer Science Club
President/Founder of Photography Club
Led initiative that teaches CS principles to elementary school students
Designed Java curriculum for non-profit
Varsity Sport
Co-Founder/Vice President of Technology Club

Job/Work Experience: CS Instructor, CS App Development Internship
Volunteer/Community service: 200+ hrs

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
Applied for need-based financial aid? no
First Generation? no

Accepted: UCR (Chancellor’s Scholarship)
Rejected: UCSB
Waitlisted: UCSD, UC Irvine, UCLA

1 Like

He was asked for 2 LORs after applying. He can request same teachers for recommendation letters.

Did everyone receive email saying “congratulations” if you got admitted?

2 Likes

DD rejected, in state
Legal Studies
UW GPA 3.9/ W GPA 4.3
11 AP Classes, 1 honors
Top 9% ELC
Good ECs and PIQs

Final CA results:
Admitted: UCSB, UCD, UCSC, Cal Poly SLO, SDSU
Waitlisted: UCLA, UCSD
Rejected: UCI, UCB

Congratulations to all those admitted and good luck to those choosing to opt in to the waitlist.

1 Like

D23 admitted L&S/Marine Science! Did not consult the portal… :rofl:

Thanks to Gumbymom and all the wonderful folks on CC for their wisdom! :heart:

2 Likes

Could I just use two of my recommenders from my Common App? Could I use the same letters or do the recommendations need to be specific to the program?

Son accepted- applied physics

3.75uw, 4.64 fW
ELC- yes!

Accepted- UCB, UCD, UCSC, CP SLO, CPP, Purdue, Alabama, Arizona
Waitlisted- UCSD, UCI
Rejected- UCLA, USC, UCSB, SDSU (mom’s alma mater :joy:)

2 Likes