UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, etc CHANCE ME PLEASE!

Hello :slight_smile: Please chance me for: Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD and UCSB!

I am currently a junior at a public high school in California.

GPA: 3.78 (UW) 4.22 (W)

SAT: 1500 (R/W: 750, M: 750)

White, Female

Potential Major(s): Neuroscience, Bioengineering, Biology

Extra:
1.Heavily involved in Speech & Debate with state rankings. Numerous awards from prestigious competitions/invitationals. In a leadership position on my team (one of the highest ranked teams in the U.S)
2. Ambassador for the Tourette Association of America (connects to neuroscience/generally my choice of majors)
3. Job as a Speech coach at an academy for elementary & middle schoolers
4. 35 hours of community service (aiming for around 60)
5. Lived abroad for three years (idk if important)
6. Speak 4 languages
7. Interning at a IVF Lab (test tube babies)
8. Will be taking community college courses this summer
9. President & founder of a Tourettes Club (to create a bigger platform for them), VP and co-founder of a school women’s club (to promote healthier relationships among the females at school)

What are your UC GPAs? Those are the important ones to figure out. A rough guess, your UC capped weighted will probably be around 4.10 which would put you behind the eight ball at UCB, UCLA and UCSD and probably average at UCSB. UCB and UCLA averages are around 4.25 while UCSD is around 4.15. However, your SAT score is excellent and makes up some of the difference. How many APs have you taken? UCLA and UCB will be reaches for sure, but definitely you’re in the ballpark.

Regarding UCB, if getting into the school itself is more important than the major, you may want to not apply for BioEngineering. Acceptance rates for almost all majors in CoE is < 10% IIRC. There is no neuroscience IIRC at Berkeley, but there is Cognitive Science and I think MCB has an emphasis in neurobiology.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-general/2127392-faq-uc-historical-frosh-admit-rates-by-hs-gpa-2018.html

However, bioengineering is likely to be a significantly more selective major than the campus overall.

@ProfessorPlum168 I have taken 4 AP’s so far with a handful of honors classes. Do you think taking a community college course will help me?

UCSB and UCSD should be fine and you seem like a good fit for them. However UCLA and UCB maybe small stretches but definitely not impossible. GoodLuck!

Calculate your UC GPA’s using this link: https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

You look like a competitive applicant and have some really great EC’s but that is no guarantee for UCB and UCLA but you are definitely in the running. The UC GPA capped weighted admit rates were linked in post #2 but I have reposted again along with average UC capped weighted GPA’s for all campuses and SAT ranges.

UCSB and UCSD are definitely your best chances. Please identify 2 solid safety schools and then formulate the rest of your list from there.

Taking community college courses will show your course rigor, but if you have AP classes available at your HS then you should take those over CC courses unless there are schedule restrictions. Both AP and CC courses are weighted the same.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:

UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:

UCB: 37%
UCLA: 41%
UCSD: 70%
UCSB: 80%
UCD: 89%
UCI: 75%
UCSC: 92%
UCR: 96%
UCM: 98%

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.23
UCSD: 4.16
UCSB: 4.13
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.11
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.81
UCM: 3.71

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCD: 1220-1480
UCI: 1230-1490
UCSC: 1210-1450
UCR: 1130-1380
UCM: 1020-1280

you look competitive but, UCs can be finicky. Be sure to apply more broadly. Perhaps UCSC and SDSU.