UC Berkeley vs UCLA

I’m an economics major (potential statistics minor, and possibly would like to double minor in English as well). I’m in-state, and am looking for a collaborative atmosphere with a focus on academics (not interested in sports or greek life) and am interested in social justice/activism. They both cost approx the same (no aid). Also, I know that the pros/cons aren’t exclusive to each university and things aren’t black and white.

UCB PROS:

• I got the regents scholarship at UC Berkeley, so I have priority housing + registration (are there any other benefits I should know of other than $$)
  • Better for my major, and I might want to apply to Haas (though I’m okay if I don’t get in, since I love Econ)
  • I’m more introverted, so Cal seems a bit better that way. I’m definitely much more academically focused, with no interest in sports/greek life
  • Better known internationally (though UCLA is great too)
    -I actually like the city of berkeley (the good food + nature + things to do) and the campus (it’s interesting and varied :slight_smile: ) and its close to SF and only 2 hours from my house in case I need to go back
  • Better off-campus food
    -I’m really interested in social justice, so Cal seems a bit more oriented that way.

UCB CONS:

• The academic difficulty and grade deflation scares me, to be quite honest
  • Less of an undergraduate focus?
  • Hugeee class sizes
  • Student stress seems really, really bad. I heard that it was actually ranked #1 for highest stress and depression rates in colleges in America. I have generalized anxiety, so this doesn’t seem to help
  • I’m definitely looking for a collaborative atmosphere and Cal is known for its cuttroath culture

UCLA PROS:

• While academic difficulty is still likely high, it seemed more relaxed and people seemed more happy
  • Better facilities (dorms, food, etc)
  • Someone pleasee correct me if I’m wrong, but UCLA seemed to have a larger undergraduate focus, and seemed to have smaller class sizes (relative, it’s not an LAC), more resources, etc
  • Better on-campus food
  • More fun-events, like concerts, etc
  • Much safer neighborhood

UCLA CONS:

• Greek life/party culture is stronger and I’m very, very much not interested in partying
  • Sports is a huge part of the culture, and I’m not interested in that
  • Quarter system to less time to get to know students and professors
  • No priority registration/other perks of regents
  • Not as strong for my major

@harrypotter112 Just a few points if I may…

A lot of the points you make are certainly subjective, unquantifiable things related to one’s feelings; they can be very real to one person – to you, but [edit:add] to the other person might not be true.

Therefore the ones I’ll address are the following:

• UCLA has guaranteed housing of three years for frosh, and there's more on the way.
  • Both universities have a good percentage of Internationals, both at ~ 10% for incoming frosh.
  • Both are highly research oriented => more grad focus.

It sounds like you like Berkeley more than Westwood and WLA; you don’t like partying and you don’t like sports; and you received Regents at B. Go to Cal, enjoy.

I wouldn’t turn down Regents at Berkeley for non-Regents at UCLA. The priority registration alone will make a huge difference - getting to take the classes you really want is not a small thing. Berkeley also sounds like a better fit for you overall. To address the quality-of-life issues that concern you, apply to the Bowles Hall residential college: http://www.bowleshallresidentialcollege.org/

Congrats on giving yourself two great options!

I know very little about UCB or UCLA. but a couple things jump out to me, one that would point toward UCB, and the other that would point toward UCLA.

If you are truly academically focused, are you really worried about the academic difficulty at UCB?

Also, I’ve known many social justice warriors, and it is a lifestyle of stress and unhappiness by choice. You can’t have one without the other.

priority registration is HUGE at state schools, if it’s like honors at NC state kid has gotten every exact class/time/teacher wanted through 3 years so far

Perhaps you live in SoCal so have localized bias, but I can assure you that the top 4 items listed above occur at the top 3 UC’s (Cal, LA and SD); they are all rigorous and they all have large classes in the first year. Moreover, the SD is probably more competitive, particularly pre-health majors.

Grade deflation at Cal is a myth. It’s mean GPA has been climbing quite a bit over the past decade. In fact, the mean GPA at Cal is higher than the (ahem) lesser UC’s, Dunno about UCLA, however.

SJW stronger at UCLA? hahahaha (no chance)

Regent’s is awesome. If you like the more urban environment of Cal, that is a no-brainer.

Priority registration is huge especially for an impacted major like Econ. It virtually guarantees you, for Econ classes, that you get the class and discussion time that you want since you would register one week before everyone else.

I’ll post something today on one of the UC-Berkeley threads concerning cutthroat, collaboration and competitiveness at Berkeley, but in general the cutthroat/competitive rumors are basically a myth, probably from one or two disgruntled students. I think I read where someone was whining that a classmate would hide a book at the library so that no one else would have access to it - well guess what, no one goes to the library anymore to read books, most everything is online now. It is virtually impossible not to do well since there are so many ways of accessing help within university-sponsored mechanisms, if you seek them out.

As a grad of one of those schools and have a kid at the other, I really think both schools are great. It seems to me that you described yourself liking Berkeley better. Berkeley seems to be the kind of place that people either love or hate, you sound like the former. I disagree with a few of the cons you have listed at each school. You’ll do fine academically at either school - remember you are one of the top admits. Both schools are so big that if you aren’t interested in parties or Greek life, then it won’t be tough to avoid it. At Berkeley you have the Regents and the possibility of Haas. Guaranteed housing with the Regents should ease housing concerns there. Look into Bowles Hall for housing if you can afford it.

I have two sons, one went to Berkeley (Regents) and one went to UCLA. Both had a great experience, so I think you can’t make a bad choice. My Berkeley son majored in Economics and minored in Public Policy. You might want to look into the Public Policy minor.

Do you think that there’s a difference in academics (quality of teaching, difficulty, etc) between the two schools, or is it mainly just differences in culture and location?

Academics between the two are nearly identical, and for an undergrad, interchangeable. Cal has a little stronger rep in Econ & Math (Cal is top 10 while LA is top ~30) while English is similar (both top ~30), but that is at the grad level.

Just a difference in culture and location.

@bluebayou . . . the OP stated that Cal is more SJW-inclined not UCLA. Also, there are certainly introverts at UCLA, and there are certainly partiers and big-time intercollegiate sports teams at Cal.

^^Doh! critical reading fail.

I believe OP just said that she’s interested in social justice. It was a commenter who felt the need to invoke the “warrior” caricature, and advise OP against the supposed “stress and unhappiness” of that “lifestyle.” While it’s true that those who benefit from injustice may enjoy a lifestyle of allowing others experience stress and unhappiness on their behalf, I don’t personally accept that an interest in justice automatically makes one an “SJW” caricature as implied.

Not that any of this contributes in any meaningful way to answering OP’s question. Political/social action is perhaps more central to the culture of UCB than UCLA, but there are certainly more social justice initiatives on either campus than any one person could participate in, and conversely ample opportunity to move through one’s education without partaking in that sphere at either campus as well. I don’t think the differences should sway the decision nearly so much as tangible differences like Regents status vs. non-Regents. I would have advised OP to attend whichever school conferred that advantage.

Yeah, I wouldn’t really call myself a SJW, I’m just interested in immigrant rights and activism (maybe I used the wrong word?). I’m sure UCLA has those opportunities as well. I would take UCB right away because of regents, I think I’m just worried about the stress-levels and academic difficulties, though perhaps they are overblown

I wasn’t using “warrior” in a negative context. OP, if I mischaracterized or demeaned your interest, I apologize.

Since you’re in-state, and these are both UC’s, is it reasonable to have a back-up plan to transfer to UCLA if UCB doesn’t work out?

No worries, I wasn’t offended :)) . I could transfer, but since I have the two options now, I would like to hopefully make the right decision. At this point, I would choose UCLA over Cal without regents, but with regents, I don’t know if that should be good enough to swing me to Cal.

I dont see how UCLA would be any less intense than Berkeley from a workload perspective. I would go with Berkeley with the Regents, that’s a big stone that tips the scales.

Did you go to Open House at UCLA in the fall? I was very impressed to hear from the Admissions Director there that, in the past 10 years, UCLA has made a huge effort to reduce class sizes and to ensure that students can graduate in 4 years if they choose to carry full loads (so no more being unable to graduate purely due to not being able to get required classes). It certainly wasn’t like that when I was a student there in the '80s!

But yeah, turning down a Regents at Berkeley is a pretty hard thing to do. That’s a lot of free money and opportunities to give up.

@GonnaBEmptyNest I didn’t- nice to hear that! Of course, graduating in 4 years because of not getting into required classes won’t be an issue at Cal, but nice to know UCLA is focusing on class sizes.