UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

S23 Accepted!
Major: Chem Engineering; 3.8/4.2 GPA. 3 APs, 3 Dual Enrollments
In-state. Strong ECs and PIQs.

Also accepted to SMU, Rensselaer, Michigan State, CalPoly Pomona, UCR, UCM, RIT

1 Like

Did anyone get the invite to the University Honors Program? Seems like we haven’t heard from many of the regents people on this board or others, but there usually are some invites beyond the regents kids, too.

1 Like

One of my twins admitted to computer engineering with Aggies scholarship $1500 and one got waitlisted to aerospace engineering

Both ELC
Gpa admitted one 3.9x/4.2x
Goa waitlisted one 3.8x/4.1x

6-7 APs and about 20 units DE all As

We are very excited! They both got accepted into UCSC as well.

3 Likes

I GOT ACCEPTED !

• 3.8 weighted gpa
  • undeclared
  • competitive high school

Extracurriculars:

• President of Cultural Club
  • Math tutor
  • Work experience since Junior year

No honors courses taken
3 AP’s total. Only passed one

4 Likes

My DS3 was also very affected by the pandemic “distance learning.” He was a junior in HS then and had been having his best semester yet gradewise–then it changed to P and NP (our district gave us NO OPTION but that). Then he flunked out his next semester–all Ds and Fs. All of them. I pulled him out and homeschooled him to finish out his senior year, he remediated two remaining needed a-g classes, and thankfully Chico State did not rescind his acceptance. He’s now a thriving soph at Chico State–Computer Science major–and is getting all As this semester for the first time in his life. (He can finally study what he WANTS to study.) Your DD will like San Jose State I think (if that’s where she ends up SIR)–I have a niece who is a freshman there now and she loves it.

5 Likes

I have so much respect to the homeschool parents. It must not be easy. Happy for your kid and salute to you!

got rejected! ucd was my dream school </3

major: molecular and medical microbiology
unweighted gpa: 4.0
weighted: 4.5
elc: top 9%

of aps: 7 in total (passed 3)

a-g total years: 24

• took 1 honors class

• awards: 2nd team all league for lacrosse, MVP in music program, ap scholar, freshman student of the month, principal’s honor roll, homecoming royalty top 40 and top 10 (based on merit and school participation)

• volunteer: cantor at church, helped at local hospital for covid vaccine rollout, stanford athletics stand helper

• job: swimming instructor, dental front desk worker

• extracurriculars: 11 years of choir (current president of school choir), varsity lacrosse for 3 years (current team captain), filipino student union for 4 years (current president), co-founded a volunteer club dedicated to children (vp), current ap gov class leader, california scholarship federation for 3 years (secretary for 2), med club for 4 years (current events coordinator), environmental club historian, link crew for 2 years

• my piqs were considered very good and my counselor as well as other peers thoroughly enjoyed it.

i was very shocked, to say the least, to see my rejection. i’ve always dreamed of going to ucd but i guess rejection is redirection!
i’ve gotten into 7 colleges so far–the most notable being csulb and cal poly slo! heavily waiting on the other ucs and cal states.

does anyone have an idea as to why i would not have gone in?

2 Likes

Decision: Accepted
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): No
Major: Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.27
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.7

ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Number of a-g courses: 28 years
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 4
AP courses/exams: 8 (4 senior year)
Dual Enrollment: 4

Extracurriculars: Leadership positions, sports, medical internship, UC Science Internship, and academic clubs

Personal Insight essays (details): Above average IMO. Introspective. Showed perseverance, humility, personal growth

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

State/location of HS: CA Bay Area
Applied for need-based financial aid? No
First Generation? No

1 Like

It was definitely disappointing for us though not shocked as UCD is like a lottery nowadays. What made the day better was that son was accepted by Cal Poly SLO today after the UCD waitlist. He may even end up going to UIUC where he was accepted for Mech E, supposedly a higher ranked engineering program, only colder and more expensive.
Best of luck with the rest of the UC’s.

3 Likes

That’s been an issue since my time there in the 80s/90s!

1 Like

my kid did COSMOS too and we’d hoped it would give kids an edge. He ultimately withdrew bc of an ED acceptance elsewhere but I’m sorry you didn’t get an outright acceptance.

1 Like

The opposite for my son…accepted at UCD for Engineering but nothing so far from SLO. It’s such a bummer because SLO is his dream school and he’s not that interested in Davis.

Son accepted
-major:CS&E
-UW 4.0 W 4.8
-18 APs, multi variable calculus, Linear Alg , few more DE courses
-In state, Bay Area ,
-ELC
-EC’s : founder , leadership ( few clubs),non profit organization, research, aime, USACO, Robotics, lots of CS related ECs

3 Likes

A friend of mine is moving back from OOS to the bay area, and he bought a house in Feb knowing that his DD is likely to go to a school in CA. He talked directly to the UC admin and they told him that his D will likely qualify for IS tuition starting the 2nd year.

3 Likes

Decision: accepted
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): $53,000/4 years
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: biomedical engineering

ACADEMIC STATS:
Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.28

Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 3
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 12

Extracurriculars: engineering internship. Medical club officer. Health club officer. Science bowl. Varsity and club soccer. Summer employment.

Applied for need-based financial aid? No

First Generation? No

Where else were you accepted
UW. Cal Poly SLO. SDSU. U of A. ASU. Oregon State. Oregon Tech. Northern Arizona. Whitworth. UH. University of Portland. Embry Riddle.

2 Likes

international IB student: rejected

Major: neuroscience and psychology

IB STATS:
scoring 38, predicted 39
(7’s for all HL subjects)

EC’s:

1. 3 years doctor shadowing in South Africa
  2. 4 years field hockey, varsity captain, club team captain
  3. pitched, founded and running school reward shop
  4. Duke medical neuroscience course
  5. MUN head of admin, 2 years
  6. licensed and active hockey referee
  7. research paper on pharmacological psychedelic therapy for depression
  8. student representative for schools psychology department
  9. co-head of yearbook committee (3 years)
  10. babysitting/waitressing (5 years)

Country (if international applicant): the netherlands

Applied for need-based financial aid? no

Decision: Waitlisted :sweat: (this was my dream school… still praying)
Merit scholarships awarded (if any):
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Animal Science

ACADEMIC STATS:
UC Unweighted GPA: 3.7
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 3.8
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 3.9
ELC (top 9% CA HS): No

Comments about course load (including senior year): Completed many credit hours through community college while in high school.
Number of a-g courses: 49
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: N/A
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): N/A, 46 credit hours through CC dual enrollment
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): N/A

Awards: Top 10 placings at national/world horse shows, FFA CDE state/regional awards for horse evaluation and poultry, grand champion rabbit showman awards at state/county fair (multiple years),

SUBJECTIVE:

Extracurriculars: Equestrian, FFA, 4-H, 160 community service hours through school, volunteer at local cat shelter giving vaccines/blood testing. 80 internship hours at local animal hospital. participate in high school veterinary science course. Sponsored by local livestock feed business, help promote their products.

Personal Insight essays: I think they were interesting and showed the humbling experiences in my life where I used the opportunities or challenges faced as a way to grow as a person. Felt like it showed my ingenuity in moving past difficult situations in life.

DEMOGRAPHICS:
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): AZ
Applied for need-based financial aid: yes
First Generation: yes

REFLECTION:
Strengths: ECs
Weaknesses: GPA

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted: Colorado State University (WUE), University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University
Waitlisted: UC Davis
Denied: Texas A&M

1 Like

My daughter was accepted, but the only information I see for financial aid is that they do not have her FASFA (same for UC Santa Cruz). However, when I checked FASFA, it shows that it was sent to all UC schools over two months ago.

1 Like

I am sorry you did not get the decision you had hoped but you are not alone. UCD received 94,609 applications this year and unfortunately there are more qualified competitive applicants than spots available. Also unfortunate is that the an applicants level of interest is not something the UC campuses consider so applicants are unable to demonstrate that the campus is their top choice. Below are how the UC campuses determine whom they admit and realize this is not a reflection on your capabilities and competitiveness. I see applicants that are denied or waitlisted at many of the UC’s but admitted into UCLA or UCB. Hang in there and I am sure you will have several great options from which to choose.

Several factors and variables can influence selection. What is most important to know is that selection looks different at every campus!

• Selection can even look different from year to year for the same campus.
• Things like enrollment capacity (campus size impacts how many students can enroll) and enrollment targets for each campus are factored into selection.
• Campuses use multiple factors when selecting students and the way campuses select students varies.
• Every student is considered in the context of their own environment which includes, but is not limited to, school, family and geographic region.
• Students are also considered within the context of the applicant pool for each campus.
• Each campus will complete their own individual review of the application independently of one another, which means that they’re going to review the information in the application and select students without asking what the other campuses have decided.
• Each campus selects students independently.

6 Likes

DD accepted!

Major: biochemistry and molecular biology

4.0 UW, 4.81 W

Homeschooled throughout, but we used a public homeschool charter her junior and senior year and so she was ELC.

Regents Scholarship, Honors Program

No APs. 31 DE classes at 3 universities and one community college.

Tanglewood, one of the first female Eagle Scouts, TA for several classes at the community college, senior-level STEM classes at the local university in a field she adores, CA State Honor Choir, operas, every choir we could find, volunteer for the food bank and an educational organic farm.

The homeschooling allowed for some amazing experiences that showed up in the essays, and I wonder if that may have helped with the Regents.

7 Likes