UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

I will take your words for it.

But even if people say it happens in their post, there is no way to verify.

Maybe we can have a poll here to see how many UCs each student applied?

My kids applied to 7 and 6.

My middle son got into every UC he applied (Five of them including UCLA and Berkeley). It was a tough call in terms of which to choose because they are ALL such fantastic schools and you cannot go wrong at any of them. It is so vital that they visit and look around and see where they see themselves fitting in in terms of location, friends and opportunities for research/experience or something that connects them to what they might want to do.

4 Likes

I’ll respond to your survey although it’s probably better in the general UC forum:

DS1: applied to 5 UCs in 2014, accepted to 1 (chose a uni in the UK);
DS2: applied to 4 UCs in 2016, accepted to 2 (chose Cal Poly SLO);
DS3: applied to 0 UCs in 2020, (chose Chico State);
DD4: applied to 7 UCs in 2022, accepted to 2 so far.

4 Likes

Ditto for my middle child in 2021! early admission to Cal, regents at most of the 5 they applied to. There is no blanket statement one can make for all these wonderful applicants. My kids all know not to take rejections personally - would be so boring to go to school full of kids the same as you, and you can never know the applicant pool year to year.

5 Likes

This is very helpful information, thank you!

1 Like

Could you post the link to your source of the data for your more often than not statement? I’d be curious to read it.

Thanks.

1 Like

I want to say you really cannot compare UC admit information across campuses currently vs several years ago. Going test blind along with covid issues and distance learning (credit/no credit) courses) has changed the admission landscape to a more comprehensive/holistic approach. GPA used to be “King” when it came to UC admissions. It is still a Very important part of admissions but the non-academic criteria is what sets apart all these high stat applicants.

11 Likes

Anyone Visiting from OOS for Aggie day ? Please suggest good cheap places to stay.

Not visiting but have visited Davis many times. What is your price point? I have stayed at Best Western University Inn, Hyatt Place, La Quinta Inn and Motel 6 in Davis. Hyatt place on-campus is the best of these put pricey. Do not recommend Motel 6 but it has been a few years.

You might want to look at some hotels in the Woodland or Dixon area which are the towns next to Davis. I have not had experience with any Hotels in these towns so hopefully another poster can chime in on some recommendations.

4 Likes

The uc Davis Hyatt isn’t too bad for that weekend, the next weekend- picnic day is outrageous $460+

1 Like

How about one Quality Inn at Sacremento airport ?

1 Like

I have no experience with the Quality Inn. Are you referring to this one in Woodland 15 mins from the airport? https://www.choicehotels.com/california/woodland/quality-inn-hotels/ca288

2 Likes

Yes this seems to be cheaper.

I’ve stayed at that Hyatt and it’s definitely not worth $460! :weary:

Seems to have a little better than average reviews. Woodland is around 10- 15 mins from campus so sounds like a good option.

3 Likes

Yes too much

Depending on where you find something relatively affordable, you should know that if it’s anywhere near an Amtrak station, you can take a train right to downtown Davis.

4 Likes

@KillKam
I’d add Sacramento hotels to the list as well. Downtown Sac is only about 15 miles away and there are many hotel options there that probably don’t surcharge prices for events happening in Davis.

5 Likes

Apologies if it seemed like I was passing it off as fact. I was more just reflecting based on my personal observations over the past few years.

1 Like

I have similar observations, albeit slightly different. In my case, it involves CalPoly SLO, not between UCs.

S19 got into every UC applied but WLed at SLO. S22’s friend accepted by all Group of Four UCs, also WLed at SLO.

2 Likes