UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

***THIS IS WHAT WAS SENT FROM UC DAVIS YESTERDAY…

Hello from the University of California, Davis. We have exciting news! This Friday afternoon, we will share admission notices with high school seniors who applied to UC Davis using the email listed on their UC application. Students can also check their status in MyAdmissions, our secure admission portal. While counselors can’t access MyAdmissions, and we do not discuss admission decisions in advance, you can help your students understand what happens next.

Admission to the UC Davis Class of 2027 is a great achievement! We hope that you and your school will take time to recognize those students who have reached this milestone. We encourage you, your school and your students to share admission shoutouts and reactions with #New2UCDavis—you’ll get a social media shoutout right back! Then, check out the fun items in our virtual celebration kit, and encourage your students to attend one of our upcoming events where they can learn more about the Davis campus.

Admitted first-year students have until May 1 to commit to UC Davis by submitting their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) through MyAdmissions. Admission notices for transfer applicants will go out in late-April, with an SIR deadline of June 1.

UC Davis received more than 94,000 applications for first-year admission, and while we expect to grow the size of our incoming class by approximately 200 new students this fall, admission remained competitive. As a result, many highly qualified applicants were offered a space on our waitlist, or denied, due to space limitations. We want to encourage students who were offered a space on our waitlist to take advantage of that opportunity and opt-in by April 15. The waitlist remains a very viable opportunity for admission.

Not receiving an offer of admission can be tough news for students who had UC Davis high on their list. We know you’ll counsel them to chart their best option, including a look at the transfer pathway if attending UC Davis remains their goal. We do not encourage students to appeal their decisions; however, an appeal form is available in their MyAdmissions portal. Students who chose to appeal their decision should include new and compelling information that was not available in the original application that might have led to a different outcome. Standardized test scores will not be considered.

This is just the first process of many that will determine our newly enrolled student body. We look forward to sharing final admission numbers with you later this year. Thank you for supporting your students on their educational journey!

Warmly,

Robert Penman
Executive Director
Undergraduate Admissions

3 Likes

I really appreciate Robert Penman and his clear and open style of communication.

I’ve received a couple of notices that people are looking at my post up thread about open houses. UC Davis’ Aggie Day will be on Saturday April 8. Picnic Day is a large open house for students, families and the community. It will be on Saturday, April 15. Warning, Picnic Day is a very popular event and hotels sell out quickly.

For those looking at hotels near Davis, Hyatt has a Hyatt Place on campus and a Hyatt House a mile away. There are several other hotels in town as well as in nearby Woodland. Hyatt Place prices are a premium whenever there is an event on campus (move in weekend, parents’ weekend, graduation, etc).

April 8:
UCSD’s Triton Day
UC Davis Aggie Day
April 15:
UCLA Bruin Day
UCSB Open House
UCR Highlander Day
UCSC Banana Slug Day
Cal Poly Pomona Bronco Bound
SDSU open house
April 13-15: Cal Poly SLO Open House
April 22:
UCI Celebrate UCI
Berkeley Cal Day

USC will have multiple Explore USC events - April 2, 7, 10, 14, 17, 20, 24

4 Likes

For possible out of state students, do you feel that it is worth it to travel to the campus for aggie day? or do you think online resources for first years about UC Davis work just as well? also thank you so much for providing all this information, it has really put my mind at ease (as well as many others I’m sure). :slight_smile:

I hate to say it this way but, it depends. If you are applying to something like Animal Science with the goal of going to vet school, then a visit might not matter. If you are looking for a general feel about the culture and vibe, then visiting would help.

OOS students pay a premium to attend UC Davis. It needs to be worth it to you (and your family) to pay that premium. A visit might help with that decision.

1 Like

I like this sentence a lot: The waitlist remains a very viable opportunity for admission.

Hoping this means that UCD is signaling they are almost expecting to be able to dig deep into the waitlist this year. It must be very hard to guess yield year after year.

3 Likes

Wow, was it really obvious that that is my exact plan? I am an animal science applicant with the goal of getting into vet school at Davis :grin: but thank you for the advice. the more I think about it, I don’t think a visit is necessary as I feel Davis is worth paying that extra (as do my parents). The visit would be more to appease my parents so they can see that the campus is safe since they are worried for me being OOS, lol

UC Davis vet school accepts more undergrads from UC Davis than from any other school. See the most recent profile.

Davis is a large UC campus. It is a relatively small college town but there are crimes just like in any city. Students need to be aware of their surroundings, not walk (or bike) alone, not leave items unattended, etc. Right now the biggest issue is the weather and frequent power outages.

2 Likes

I have posted waitlist data if available since 2018 so you can see how much it varies from year to year. Unfortunately, UCD has no updated CDS information since 2020-2021 so the numbers I have posted were from the UC Counselor conference.

Here is the link: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-davis-freshman-class-of-2027-waitlist-appeal-thread/

2 Likes

Admitted from waitlist is highly major dependent. Last year, my son and a few of his friends were waitlisted at Davis. The ones with computer engineering and computer science major were eventually rejected. A few students for electrical engineering and biology majors were admitted off waitlist in the first round(early May).

1 Like

Although for @carpgirl142 's sake, the UCD’s vet school admissions for UCD undergrads decreased from 58 enrolled for the Class of 2025 to 50 enrolled for the Class of 2026.

Obviously I have no clue why. Maybe less apps from UCD students? UCD is trying to take more vet school students from other schools? :man_shrugging: Would you know?

And bike thefts.

1 Like

Hopefully the fall semester air quality issues aren’t as severe with the wet winter this year and years of clearing dead trees in the sierras. That has been a HUGE negative in the Central Valley the last 5 yrs or so.

2 Likes

There is a footnote on the bottom of the Vet school statistics page stating the following for both 2025 and 2026:

Proportionate to the number of applicants from UC Davis.

They must have a certain percentage of admits from UC Davis based on the number of applicants.

2 Likes

Which means UCD must receive the most vet school apps from UCD undergrads then?

1 Like

Class of 2024 was 54 and Class of 2023 was 50, so it is always in that range.

Who was this email sent to? Just wondering because I didn’t get it.

College counselors

The link to the Hyatt above didn’t go through for me. I found this page for it: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/california/hyatt-house-davis/smfxd

1 Like

Well, they’ll want you until they don’t. I would not hold my breadth.

6 Likes

Thank you, I edited my post.

4 Likes