UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Wasn’t for my daughter in 2020. Waitlisted at Davis. Accepted at UCLA

7 Likes

Caution acknowledged. My D does not know I’m even on this forum because I’m fully aware of any anxiety that I may be projecting. We just need to get through this month so she can start enjoying the rest of her senior year! She is definitely accepting the waitlist and will work on essay. Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone waitlisted!

11 Likes

Actually the impression within my extended family was waitlisted in UCD is not a bad thing because both of my nieces got admitted subsequently into UCB and UCLA after being waitlisted at UCD. It was almost as if UCD was expecting these students to pass on UCD and therefore waitlisted them. This was a couple of years ago so not sure if the same dynamics are at play now

5 Likes

@Gumbymom Could you please explain Regents scholarships? When are they announced? How do they let students know? Are there two types (need and merit)? If so, do they require FAFSA for both types? I have read the various UC web pages on the topic, but I have not found the answers to these particular questions. Thanks!!

2 Likes

It was 39%

2 Likes

I think @Gumbymom just posted that "UCD had specifically a 49% acceptance rate overall and 39% for in-state applicants. "

1 Like

For UCD, Regents is usually announced at the time of the admission decisions. I have not seen any posts in regards to admitted students getting Regents, but that does not mean the scholarships have not been announced. CC is a small select community so not all acceptances are posted here.

Regents is given to the top 1-2% of applicants with a yearly merit amount of $7500/year. If the student shows additional financial need, then need-based aid can be awarded on top of the $7500/year amount. For need-based aid, the applicant would have to file the FASFA.

These scholarships are renewable as long as the student maintains a 3.25 grade point average and remains in good academic standing.

Regent scholars are part of the University Honors program.

• students register during the first day of registration for all quarters they are active in the program. Priority registration begins in fall for winter quarter registration.
  • UHP is a four-year program; students take honors classes in their first and second years, participate in a research preparation workshop series and explore career paths through volunteering and an individual project in their third year, and complete a signature work in their fourth year.
2 Likes

Thank you!

I think your D got accepted to Cal Tech but didn’t get in at UCD, strange times.

3 Likes

I had high stats, waitlisted at UCD but accepted for UC Irvine with Campus honors on the same day! There is no correlation between the campuses!!

8 Likes

Just as a data point, D22 has been offered Regents with her acceptance.

18 Likes

Thank you and congratulations to your D. Nice to know that UCD did offer Regents at time of admission.

5 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter!

Thanks so much for sharing.

3 Likes

My OOS D22 was offered the Provost Scholarship with her acceptance also, just to confirm it appears both Regents and Provost were offered with initial acceptances.

10 Likes

Great! Thanks for sharing! She’s headed elsewhere, right?

Since I promised to share all results regardless of outcome for future stats-gatherers:

• Admission Decision: Denied
  • Major: Computer Science
  • GPA:
    – Weighted GPA: 4.29 (uncapped)
    – Unweighted GPA: 4.0
  • In-state, non-local
  • HS course rigor: 5 AP & 1 CC (AP Comp Sci A (4), AP Comp Sci Prin (5), AP Physics 1 (5), AP CALC A/B, & CALC B/C (pending), and a college Computer Programming class) A-G Reqs: A-2.5, B-4, C-6, D-4, E-3, F-1, G-3.5.
  • EC’s and major-related job:
    – EPP Participation: none
    – Work: 21+ hours/wk, major-related
    – EC: 11-15 hours/wk, w/ leadership (varsity tennis, officer in his school’s Cyber Patriot team, student rep to district’s CTE comp sci pathway, CSF, 120 hours of volunteer work)

He got into his #1 and #2, so this really is just for future researchers.

9 Likes

Thank you! It really is so helpful to see the full range.

Hi @Gumbymom I’ve seen a few people say that Davis is particularly good for Poli Sci given the proximity to the state capital. Wondering if you have any info on what that means in practicality? Internships? Field work? Just trying to picture it what they might offer that a more distant school could not. Thank you!

which school were 1 and 2, if you don’t mind my asking.

1 Like

I think proximity to the state capital, the hub of California politics and political policy would be an advantage for a student planning to major in Political science. Also UC Davis has a Law school which could be an additional benefit for students wanting to pursue that route. I do not have any personal knowledge regarding the program, however my son had several classmates interested not only in Political science but Environmental Policy and they were able to get some wonderful internships and jobs in the Sacramento area while attending UCD.

3 Likes