UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

A friend of mine has this question. They are moving from oos to California this summer.

Their son got into Davis and few other UCs.

After how many years is he eligible for in state tuition.

They moved from CA to MD some 5 years ago, now returning.

2 Likes

Asking for a friend violates CC TOS policy. Sent you a PM.

366 days and show intent to live in California.

I have a question similar to posted above, but opposite circumstances. We will move out of California this summer. How does it affect my D22’s residency for tuition purposes at a UC assuming she enrolls in Fall 2022 as a freshman?

Parent of Minor Who Moves from California - A Minor Student whose Parent moves from California to establish residence elsewhere will be entitled to a Resident Classification if the Minor Student remains in California and enrolls full time in a post-secondary institution within one year of the date that the Parent establishes a new residence. The Student’s Resident Classification will continue as long as the Student maintains continuous full-time attendance at the post-secondary institution. Financial Independence will not be required. Requirements:
• The Parent must have qualified as a California resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to departure.
• The Parent must have established a residence elsewhere during the Student’s minority and within one year immediately prior to the Student’s University enrollment.
• With the exception of short absences, the Student must have remained in California on a continuous basis prior to admission to a UC campus.
• The Student must maintain continuous full-time enrollment at a post-secondary institution. If Student has enrolled in more than one post-secondary institution, all such attendances must amount to continuous and full-time enrollment.

1 Like

Thank you for this! I was wondering since I may move when D24 is in college for my career (kids will finally all be in college so I can be more flexible). This sounds like if they attend the UC before I move, they will be ok. Phew.

1 Like

Is anyone going to the UC Davis meet and greet this weekend in Fresno?

2 Likes

Did you ever get definitive info about the University Grant? It is showing for my son as well and I’m wondering if it is in fact a grant/award of some sort? It shows “University Grant” at $2426 per quarter.

No, but the amount sure aligns closely with the health insurance fee. If he decides to attend, he will call and ask and I’ll post.

Thank you. It also aligns almost with the $7500 Regents award! But certainly, they’d send a letter of congratulations or something if that is what it was?

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the University Grant is need-based and Regents would be one of the rare merit-type awards. Perhaps an expert will weigh in.

With Blue & Gold Middle Class Scholarship (for families earning under $80K), Cal-Grant and this University Grant, the cost of attendance is a little over $17,000, which is quite affordable for us and our son was grateful to see the award package.

University Grants

A variety of university grants are awarded to undergraduates who have grant eligibility according to the UC Education Financing Model. University grant funds are limited and awarded to eligible students based on their need and their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) filing date (priority deadline is March 2). Students must also continue to meet all funding criteria and ensure that any required documentation is completed and submitted in a timely manner. Awards are based on the availability of funding at the time a student’s completed file is processed. This includes awards covered by the UC Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan and the Aggie Grant Plan. University grant funding is not available to cover nonresident supplemental tuition. If you receive additional gift aid, your University Grant award may be reduced.

1 Like

Just for reference, my OOS D22 got a Provost Scholarship Award. I’m guessing Regents would look the same in the Admissions Portal page. It’s also listed as a scholarship, not grant in the financial portal.

Huge congrats to your kiddo.

6 Likes

Congratulations! In the past, Regents notifications have been equally as obvious.

1 Like

This is very helpful. Income-wise, I was not expecting he’d qualify for any grants, but maybe because we will have two students in college next year? I better look into this more!

@DunkieLunkie huge congratulations to your student! I’m glad to see merit awards are obvious!

2 Likes

For Regents, when the admissions letter comes in the mail, it will also state that you received Regents. I’m assuming it is the same for Provost and other large named awards. If you do not receive a scholarship, you will also receive a congratulatory letter of admission in the mail. It just won’t include the information about the scholarship.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I ended up getting WL at UCSD and UC Irvine but accepted to UCLA. Still awaiting UCB and ivies. It is really mysterious, isn’t it…

14 Likes

Congrats on UCLA! Very happy for you!

1 Like

S22 Admitted to UC Davis
Reject from UCLA, UCI and UCSD
Cambridge GCE A and AS level GPA 4.0 Unweighted (All sciences and Math)
Good PIQs and Decent ECs
Major Biomedical Engineering
Interested in PreMed
Also got in at Penn State and Baylor University

4 Likes

My daughter is trying to find where the admitted students are chatting. She says the Patio group is not very active and she doesn’t see anything on FB or Instagram. Can anyone help me point in her in the right direction?

1 Like