UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

It really depends on what she wants to do. I don’t think there is a rush to figure that out. There are lots of options for minors. For instance, if she becomes interested in the environment, she might minor in Environmental Policy & Analysis or Climate Science and Policy or Community Development.

One thing I would pay attention to is the number of units she takes each quarter. Each student is assigned a pass time (date and time when they can register for classes). Those with earlier pass times get a better pick of classes. The first two quarters, pass times are assigned by lottery after that, priority goes to students with accommodations, Regents/Honors, etc. then seniors before juniors before sophomores before freshmen. Within each group, earlier pass times are assigned to those who have completed more units at Davis (AP and IB units don’t count).

Access to registration for undergraduate students is by priority groups. Priority groups are established according to the number of UC Davis units and non-exam-based transfer units completed. Advanced Placement (AP) units, International Baccalaureate (IB) units, and current term enrollment are excluded from this calculation.

There is a lot to get used to when a student starts college and the quarter system moves quickly. Students, especially STEM majors, are often advised to take fewer units their first quarter (ex. 3 classes (12 units) rather than 4 classes (16 units)).

Every student is different but, in my opinion, this is a scenario where repeating an AP course (ex. psych, econ, math) would help a student get used to the pace of the quarter system while taking a course with content that is somewhat familiar to them. It also allows them to accrue more units to get an earlier pass time. If taking three classes, I would add a 1-2 unit First Year Seminar. They are often low stress, interesting classes and a good way to meet other students. They are also a good way for a student to take 14 units rather than 12 which puts them marginally ahead of others when signing up for classes.

Over the summer, some students study abroad or do summer school. Those extra units give them earlier pass times.

7 Likes

Thank you so much - I’ll dig a little deeper into this!

This is so very helpful - thank you!
Now for a non-academic question:) Is there any advantage to committing ASAP and getting your housing application in so you get in a “queue” and maybe get a better choice of dorms? I understand that they simply choose their preferred housing area but can’t choose the actual dorm building/room so I’m wondering how many students actually get their #1 choice and if it makes a difference if you do that now vs after Aggie Day? Also can’t seem to find anything about what deposits are required (enrollment $250 ? Housing & Dining?) and if any are refundable? We are fine with risking some small amount if it improves her odds of getting her dorm choice. To be clear she is almost certainly choosing Davis but won’t be 100% certain until we visit again for the open house:) Thank you!

1 Like

No advantage to committing ASAP. In the past (under the previous director of admissions) they had mini celebrations (confetti, signs, cheering, photo ops) if a student committed at Aggie Day. I’m not sure what they have planned for this year but it might be fun for your student to commit at Aggie Day.

SIR deposits are not refundable. For housing, there is a cancellation fee if you back out. I believe it is $250. Housing Contract Cancellation Policy | UC Davis Student Housing and Dining Services

3 Likes

Thank you ! Committing on Aggie Day might just be what she does!

6 Likes

My daughter is most likely committing to Davis as well. We can’t attend Aggie Day because she has a swimming invitational that weekend. However, we taking an admitted student tour the weekend prior. Davis is one of the schools we didn’t visit prior to applying, so we want her to see the campus before she commits.

4 Likes

My son committed on Aggie Day several years ago. Visiting a 2nd time, seeing many more students on campus and talking to them really clinched the deal. Best of luck and enjoy!!

For housing, they will not look at the application until after SIR day May 1.

4 Likes

This is pure Gold! Is this only applicable to Davis or also applies to all UC’s or do they differ by campus.

1 Like

This is so incredibly helpful. Thank you, thank you!! I will be going through this admissions process again next year with my son! @lkg4answers, where would be the best place on CC for me to ask you a few very specific questions about the G requirement for admissions. Let me know if I should start a new thread somewhere? Please and thank you so much!

Each campus operates independently and has their own policies. I know Davis well because my oldest graduated in 2021. I also know the about some of the other UCs but it would be best if you posted questions in the forums of those schools.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking but I think it might be most appropriate in the UC General forum.

1 Like

Look into Picnic day, it is Davis version of open house.

3 Likes

All UC’s including UCLA and Berkeley is not worth that cost.

1 Like

Does anyone know if they offer dorm tours during Aggie Day?

It looks like it.
https://housing.ucdavis.edu/tours/

You might also check out the Aggie Abodes videos. They are a few years old but they will give you an idea of the layout and furniture.

1 Like

I read that as a no, they are still not offering in person housing and dining tours. All they are offering is via Zoom and social media.

https://housing.ucdavis.edu/aggie-experience-live/freshmen/

But they are starting in April? It says to contact Student Visitor Services, although there’s no contact info on that page. I found this as the contact info elsewhere visit@ucdavis.edu

I’m sorry, I read that wrong. Time to step away from the computer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It looks like you can sign up for admitted student tours here. This is spring break and kids return to campus on Monday. They likely need to figure out when their tour guides are available before they open the schedule. I would watch it closely because they should open any day now. You can also call but be aware that student workers answer the phone so they may tell you tours will open “soon” without anymore details.

2 Likes

That’s how I read it as well and thought perhaps I missed something:) I was hoping they may offer tours during Aggie Day as that would be much easier. I’ll keep an eye on the site though just in case they re-open. Thank you both!

1 Like

Anyone here with a kid choosing between UC Davis and University of Washington? We will be visiting both but curious to hear which direction your student is heading and why?

1 Like

Yes, my D22 is deciding between UW and UC Davis. We live just outside Seattle, so UW is cheaper, but my D22 doesn’t love the area around UW and thinks she’ll prefer the small town vibe and friendlier atmosphere at UC Davis. She’s majoring in Biology (and may double major in Japanese) but wants to go on to a PhD in Plant Science, so she thinks UC Davis is also a better fit academically. She also was awarded a Provost Scholarship at Davis, so that definitely helps.

Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions about UW or the surrounding area.

3 Likes