UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Can you help explain how the process goes if you’re still on waitlist but need to commit somewhere else such as another UC or Cal Poly. Do you commit and then can you retract? And is there a financial penalty usually for doing so?

Got in to Cal Poly but really want Davis so hoping wait list comes through.

Thanks !

1 Like

You enroll at SLO and pay the deposit. If you are admitted off the waitlist for UCD, you can withdraw from SLO and lose the deposit, enroll at UCD and pay the deposit or decline and stay at SLO.

1 Like

It seems that the 2018-2019 waitlist numbers are the outdated ones at the top of this forum.
2018-2019
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 10,641
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 3458
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 1971
Here is my link
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/CC2019/plenary-and-campus-updates.pdf

1 Like

I have found the counselor conference numbers are different from the CDS numbers that are posted. The numbers from the conference precede the final CDS data so there is usually some updates.

wait why would there be such a huge discrepancy between counselor conference numbers and the CDS

I found a discrepancy last year between the conference and CDS for UCSC.

You are looking at 2019 data from the conference. The data I posted is actually 2018 data but the CDS labels it as the 2018-2019 academic year.

ok thank you

A related question. What happens if someone is on the WL for 2 UCs, each with a 4-7 day deadline to SIR if/when they get off the waitlist, and the second choice comes through first? Can that be accepted, and still wait for the first choice or is the SIR from the waitlist binding?

Waitlist acceptances are not binding. You can withdraw and SIR to another school.

1 Like

Hi
Question about college/major that my son applied to. He is waitlisted to UC Davis under the major “Undeclared/Exploratory Program”.
When he applied, it looks like he put his first choice as:
Undeclared- College of Ag & Env Sci.

Second choice he put “undeclared social sciences” to College of Letters & Science.

If he gets in off the waitlist (:crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:), is it likely to be in first choice school CAES or CLS?

He’s now unsure of his major and if he gets in to CAES, is it hard to transfer to another major / program at another college?

Thanks!

UC Davis does not normally consider alternate majors so if admitted it would Undeclared College of Agriculture and Env. Science. Changing majors and college is not difficult except for the impacted/selective majors. He may have to take pre-req courses and maintain a higher GPA to switch into the following majors. Academic advisors work closely with Undeclared students to help determine the best major and pathway to take.

• [College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences]
    • Biotechnology
    • Managerial Economics
    • Viticulture and Enology
  • College of Biological Sciences, all majors
  • College of Engineering, all majors
  • College of Letters and Science:
    • Applied Mathematics
    • Applied Physics
    • Computer Science
    • Economics
    • Mathematics
    • Mathematical Analytics & Operations Research
    • Mathematical & Scientific Computation
    • Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Psychology
1 Like

Hi
When updating grades for waitlist, first semester courses are shown as “Term 1 - IN progress” and Term 2 is populated with “OT Other Grading System”. If this was only a 1 semester course taken in the Fall, is it appropriate to change the Term 2 designation from the automatic default of “OT Other Grading System” to “NE NOt Enrolled”. I don’t want to mess up anything that might alter the Waitlist chances but trying to correctly reflect the accurate schedule for 1st semester courses. Thanks!

1 Like

I just filled out my WL form yesterday and I was wondering the same thing. I just updated the grade and left the class as NE for the semester I wasn’t taking the class. I also fixed any other grades that said “OT” and changed them to “NE” as well, since they were 1-semester classes. Not sure if what I did was correct, but I would assume that since it technically isn’t a different grading system, that “NE” would be more appropriate.

NE should be fine. Is there an option NO for No course this term?

We just did this as well. My son picked Not Enrolled for the Term 1 or Term 2 classes that weren’t in the other term.

However, he didn’t list ‘in progress’ for his grades - he entered his actual grades, and the WL notification said to estimate what expected grades would be.

Thanks everyone. So in theory for the second semester classes (that are only offered in second semester), it would read as:
Term 1: NE
Term 2: B+ (which is the expected grade for the end of the Spring semester).

Last question I’d love feedback on:
In 2 classes my son’s grade is currently a C because the teacher didn’t enter grades before break and he has no idea what his final grade will be. I’d rather just leave it as “IP” versus getting it wrong or is it better to be optimistic and enter a good grade in hopes that’s what it will be?

There isn’t a “NO” option. The drop down lists grades (A-F) then IP, Planned, Withdrawn, Incomplete, Passed, Not Passed, Dropped, Not Enrolled.

Thank you, then NE makes sense.

1 Like

Were any appeals accepted from last year? I’m submitting an appeal for Davis but I wanted to know what the appeal situation looked like for 2021.