UC ELC...uncapped or capped weighted?

I’m planning to ask my counselor this tomorrow, but in the meantime I thought I would ask on here. Is the benchmark GPA for the school determined using capped or uncapped? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it as uncapped since each school offers a different number of APs? Idk, just my thought. I have a very high uncapped GPA but my capped is lower because of my rigor. There are other kids at my school who took very few APs and therefore have very high capped GPAs but low uncapped. My main question is: Is the benchmark GPA determined using capped or uncapped? Many sites (almost all I have seen) say uncapped, but it is very confusing. Thank you!

This is what my son’s counselor gave him during his Junior year college session on how the ELC is determined:

ELC status will be determined by UC after students submit their applications. Using the self-reported academic record, the application system will check to see if an applicant’s weighted, uncapped GPA meets or exceeds the benchmark ELC GPA for his or her school and whether the student has completed the ELC course pattern: 1 year of history/social science, 2 years of English, 2 years of mathematics, 1 year of lab science, 1 year of language other than English and 4 college-prep electives.

ELC only guarantees that if you are eligible, you will be given a spot (if available) at the default UC which as been UC Merced.

@Gumbymom Thank you so much!!! Also, for the electives, anything beyond the required A-G courses counts as an elective correct? For example, anything past the required 2 years of math would be an elective?

Yes, electives would be in the G category for your HS or anything beyond the minimum A-F course requirements.

@Gumbymom Thanks so much