UC Irvine Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

looks like the portal stuff didn’t mean anything… hmm

Just wondering, eventhough UC said they are blind test for SAT score, do you think if your kids took SAT will make a differences in the acceptance?

No, when they state test blind, they mean test blind. Not a consideration other than for placement.

3 Likes

My daughter was also accepted to UC Irvine and UC Davis (Cognitive Science for both). Waitlisted at UCSD and declined at UCLA. OOS 3.9 UW GPA.

1 Like

Son was waitlisted…

In State/non local
Business Administration
4.0 UW
4.5 W
4.19 CSU GPA (diluted due to having 86 dual enrollment credits)
3- AA’s from CC by dual enrollment (Bus Admin/Econ/Social Behavioral Science) 4.0 at the CC
homeschooled through CA charter school
No test scores, No AP classes
35 A-G classes

Waiting on:
Cal Poly SLO (very likely a denial since admits have gone out already)
UCSB

Waitlist:
SDSU
UCI

Admitted:
UCR
UCSC
UCONN
Arizona State U
U of Arizona
U of Denver
U of Utah
U of Colorado Denver
Colorado State U
Xavier
Northern Arizona U
CSUN

4 Likes

Irvine is a fun and clean city. Crime rate is low. Near shoppings, excellent foods and performing art theaters. Please ask her to take a tour with an open mind and judge for herself. Best!

3 Likes

Son admitted undeclared - how hard is it to be admitted to bio/ health sciences or microbio

Here is the for change of major: School of Biological Sciences

https://changeofmajor.uci.edu/college-of-health-sciences/#pharm_science

Did he originally apply to any of the Biological science or Health science majors?

Thank you

1 Like

My DDs friend did not like UCI. He said it was a commuter school and even those in the dorms go home on the weekends. I went to UCD for vet school and I highly recommend as I think the experience is the same for undergrad. Great college town!! the only one better is Cal. Lots of traditions. People think it is all quiet and cows and agricultural although cows for me was a plus, but I was pleasantly surprised at the college town. so much fun!!

4 Likes

What is housing like at UCI? Freshman dorms seem nice - are their good housing options on campus for all 4 years ?

1 Like

UCI does not guarantee student housing for 4 years. As an in-coming freshman for Fall 2022, you are guaranteed 2 years.

https://housing.uci.edu/first-year/

1 Like

Not guaranteed, but are there housing issues ? It would seem that if some people feel it has a commuter feel that housing is not an issue and most kids who want to live on campus are able to if they are interested? And do people really think it has a commuter feel?

1 Like

They say it has a commuter feel since many local students will go home for the weekend but live on campus during the week. Most UC’s only guarantee 1-2 years of on-campus housing. Only UCLA currently is able to accommodate students all 4 years currently. Also living on campus has some limitations such as meal plans so many students would prefer to live off campus and prepare meals themselves.

1 Like

There is room for freshmen on campus. Sophomore year many move into local apartments. There are plenty of rentals within walking/biking distance of campus. They are owned by a few larger companies such as American Campus Communities and The Irvine Company. Irvine is a very safe and clean community. The campus is hustling and bustling during the week but quiet on the weekends.

1 Like

Very helpful info. Can you elaborate a bit on quiet on weekends. There still must be a decent number of kids on campus in the close to campus housing you mentioned, right ? Do the kids that stick around on weekends have a normal college feel ? Or is it a ghost town ?

Yes, students stay in town but not necessarily in your hall or dorm. Many No Cal and OOS freshmen complain about having the room to themselves because their roommates go home every weekend. It can be nice to have your room to yourself but it is something you should know in advance and be prepared for. Some join a sorority or fraternity to help make friends. Parking is tough but I think having a car gives non local students a little freedom to go out and explore the area on weekends.

Weekends in Irvine can be described as quiet, calm, relaxing. It is the antithesis to UCSB’s party scene.

3 Likes

Very helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

As both a UCD alum and a 30 year resident of Irvine, I can say that they are completely different experiences. Davis still has a bit of a small college town feel. Greek life was active, there was a lot of support for the football team, though it’s not big time football like UCLA. The campus was busy on the weekends, and they have a tremendous intermural sports program. Students bike everywhere, and you have a nice change of seasons. It can get a little boring in Davis, but Sacramento is 15 minutes away, Tahoe and skiing is 2 hours away, Lake Berryessa 45 minutes away, and San Francisco is about 1h45 to 2 hours depending on traffic.

Irvine is a very large city now. 307,000 residents. It’s the safest large city in the US for violent crime. Very clean. Though the campus is a bit quieter on the weekends, UCI has added a lot of student housing over the past 10 years. And as mentioned above, there are a lot of apartment options very near to campus.

There is a nice shopping center next to campus that is always busy during the school year, and Newport Beach is just 10 minutes away, Laguna Beach is about 15 minutes. The Irvine Spectrum is about 15 minutes away - it’s a large outdoor dining and entertainment center. There are bike lanes and trails everywhere, as well as open space and hiking trails. There’s a very nice bike & jogging trail next to campus that leads to the beach. I can’t speak to Greek life at UCI. Getting away for a weekend to Long Beach, LA, San Diego is very easy.

I loved my 4 years at Davis. I love living in Irvine. Both are great options. Each will give a different campus life experience.
Congratulations and Good Luck!

6 Likes

Thanks