UC Local and Statewide ELC eligibility

I mean only two years in California

So far the ELC designation was a blessing to my daughter. She was admitted at UC Davis and Riverside.

2 Likes

The high school sends (presumably anonymized) course and grade records for its students to UC. UC then recalculates weighted capped GPA and determines where the top 9% benchmark is from those recalculated weighted capped GPAs. This is done once every three years for each high school (though not all high schools in the same year).

1 Like

Technically, it means that your UC-recalculated weighted-capped GPA meets the benchmark top 9% UC-recalculated weighted-capped GPA set by a recent previous class.

Your class rank as determined by your high school is not used. Especially at the margins, there could be some students in the top 9% high school rank but not ELC, and some students in ELC but not in the top 9% high school rank.

1 Like

Appreciate that explanation, thanks!

I got this letter in the fall.

1 Like

There are actually three classifications of students who are trying to qualify for a UC campus per Figure 2 of @ucscuuwā€™s link in post #2 of this thread:

• Those who have qualified under overall state-wide standards, noted as Index in addition to qualifying under local context at those high schools which ā€œparticipateā€ in ELC;

• Those who are trying to qualify solely under ELC, the local high-school context;

• And those who are trying to qualify by meeting the overall statewide standards and whose schools donā€™t partake in ELC.

For a school to participate in ELC {as seen in Figure 1}, there seems to be some sort of standard as seen by those schools which have ā‰„ 15 APs as ELC schools, which is {the} vast majority. And I think UC wants these schools to be subject to its various metrics it produces, e.g., keeping track of these studentsā€™ progress, {and making sure that UCā€™s standards are met at these high schools, as well as keeping tabs on studentsā€™ rankings within their high schools}, etc.

But despite the double notation of those who q for UC {-- under the overall state pool as well as locally under ELC}, some of the {UC} schools still donā€™t accept a majority of those which apply, notably, UCB and UCLA, although the acceptance rate for both is a good deal higher than their overall A/R.

{Not sure if this is completely what I wanted to state, but if I have some other thoughts, Iā€™ll add them.}

I was trying last night to create a spreadsheet for each UC that compared those who were classed as ELC versus those who were Non-ELC, from the point of the application process to acceptance to those who enrolled. Except for a general statement that 58% of ELCs and 41% of the non-ELCs enroll at UC, I couldnā€™t extrapolate how each campus did.

But hereā€™s a spreadsheet of what it appears to me to be the stats for UCB and UCLA:

UCB Residence Applied % of Total Accepted % of Total A/R % Enrolled % of Total % Yield
ELC/State 20,176 40.1% 7,625 75.2% 37.8% ??? ??? ???
Non-ELC 30,110 59.9% 2,518 24.8% 8.4% ??? ??? ???
CA HS Total 50,286 100.0% 10,143 100.0% 20.2% 4,530 0.0% 44.7%
UCLA Residence Applied % of Total Accepted % of Total A/R % Enrolled % of Total % Yield
ELC/State 25,842 38.0% 7,551 82.0% 29.2% ??? 0.0%
Non-ELC 42,100 62.0% 1,654 18.0% 3.9% ??? 0.0%
CA HS Total 67,942 100.0% 9,205 100.0% 13.5% 4,789 0.0% 52.0%

I had to group together those who qā€™ed under state-wide (Index) and individual high school (ELC), because the data didnā€™t separate those who qā€™ed solely under ELC per that Figure 2 of the link provided. And the figures in blue (qā€™ing under Index and ELC were the ones who got into UCLA and UCB in far greater numbers).

But as seen in the differences between UCB and UCLA, clearly UCB accepted a proportionally higher amount of Non-ELC graduates. I believe this is because there are certain high schools, probably mostly private ā€“ beyond those publics which may not q for ELC, that donā€™t care to have their students subjected to the scrutiny of UC. I can think of a handful off the top of my head, and theyā€™re top-tier.

UCB is a little more high-school specific in admittance than UCLA. There are some high schools in which the former loads up a good number of top-tier high schools not only in the Bay, but also in LA county. UCLA is less likely to differentiate between those really top-tier high schools and those which are good. And UCB will take a good portion from the top-tiers including those private high schools that donā€™t participate in ELC.

If you disagree with this @ucbalumnus, please feel free to do so.

Furthermore, if you look at the following link you could probably note those schools which are clearly underperforming as non-ELC schools.

1 Like

No, this is our first year here and son is top 9%

Yes, but I thought there were two forms of this ā€“ statewide, and ELC. His app says statewide, not ELC ā€“ but for admissions, is this the same thing? (guaranteed admission at some campus (Merced) ā€˜if availableā€™, etc)

Iā€™m sorry ā€“ new to CA and new to all of this.

Statewide ELC and Local ELC are determined differently but are still given the ELC guarantee that if an applicant is not admitted into their choice UC, their application will be referred to another UC that has space. In the past, this has been UC Merced.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the clarification and confirmation!

Thank you for this analysis. Anecdotally we are in SoCal and the public high school my son attends has the reputation of being one of the most rigorous statewide. Even though we are closer to UCLA- we definitely have a higher # being admitted to UCB.

My daughter is a local ELC from Southern California. So far, she was accepted at UC Riverside, Davis and San Diego.

Curious: can kids in private schools be ELC eligible or is it just public schools that participate?

1 Like

Private schools can participate in the ELC program.

UC website:

Most California public high schools and many private schools participate in the ELC program. To participate, a school must be located in California, have a College Board school code, and have a full list of UC-approved courses for the most recent academic year.

Eligible schools participating in the ELC program are asked by UC to provide student contact information and are responsible for obtaining parental authorization.

1 Like

I read somewhere that 90% of ELC/Statewide guarantee students get accepted at ā€˜someā€™ UC. I know the caveat is ā€˜if availableā€™ ā€“ as we know this has been a really weird year and more kids than ever are in the applicant pool. Is there a likelihood that there wonā€™t be space at ANY campus? I know the open campus is typically Merced.

UC Merced has no space available for popular majors such as Engineering/CS and Biological Sciences in the past. It does change from year to year.

https://admissions.ucmerced.edu/first-year/count-me-in-faqs

Thanks - Iā€™ve read that link before but it doesnā€™t really address the ā€˜spaceā€™ question as itā€™s answering questions from the perspective of the student having received the ā€œCount me inā€ offer.

They do say this - "Since you have been determined to meet the minimum requirements for UC admission, we would like to give you a chance to indicate interest in UC Merced, even though you didnā€™t initially apply here. The University of California is committed to ensuring enrollment opportunities for all qualified California high school graduates, and we recognize your potential for success."

So, despite the guarantee ā€“ is there a likelihood that there isnā€™t going to be a campus available?

Iā€™m just trying to understand if heā€™s not accepted at any UC heā€™s applied to - what our potential options are if any.