UC nonresident admissions soar

<p>If it’s so pathetic then why are you thinking about applying?</p>

<p>This is good news for me (Nebraska Junior). But it’s still no easy matter getting into UC Berkeley.</p>

Yeah it kind of sucks that I have a 4.2 UC GPA and I don’t even think my chances at Davis/Irvine/Santa Barbara are that good.

I didn’t think there was any grass at Berkeley?

Illegal immigrants get instate tuition rates to UC. Do their parents pay CA taxes in any significant amts?

@GMTplus7 They are just a small portion of the poulation. What point are you trying to make?

@DPattt What bugs me is that these schools are largely funded by the California taxpayers yet they are hardly giving CA residents priority when it comes to admissions. They are literally biting the hand that is feeding them.

@RHSclassof16 I agree. This year was especially bad; I heard that being oos actually meant that your chances of being accepted into a UC were higher. The system is called the “University of California” system and I think that they need to make it their number one priority to serve the residents of California.

@DPattt What I hope happens is that the State Government threatens their funding if they don’t start admitting more In State Applicants. It’s BS that I work my butt off for a 4.2 GPA and will be lucky to get into one of Irvine, Santa Barbara or Davis. Forget Berkeley or LA.

@RHSclassof16 You have a very solid chance at every one of those schools. Try to score above 2000 on your SAT and try very hard on your personal statements. Do not underestimate the personal statements, they can make a huge difference.

@DPattt I get that they probably accept more OOS because OOS pays more, but what if you’re OOS, poor, and applied for financial aid?

@RHSclassof16 Yeah, this fact alone just makes me so pissed off. The UC’s need the money badly, therefore practicing this atrocious method of admission. But god do they have some good schools.

@tuloob8 Your chances would have probably still been higher; you would just be expected to take out loans i guess.

Does anyone know if grants such as the Blue and Gold plan are given out to students who change from non-resident to resident during the middle of the school year? For example, if they are non-resident for the Fall quarter but become in-state resident for the Winter quarter.

@willtohelp , I haven’t actually looked into this, so I can be corrected if I’m mistaken, but I understand it that students cannot change their residency status with a California university mid-way through the academic year as you’ve described. As far as I know, tuition rates are by academic year, and each student is responsible for tuition and any financial aid benefits that are charged or awarded at the beginning of the academic year and only change upon a new academic year. Thus, a student who changes residency status mid-way through an academic year would have to wait until the beginning of the next academic year to benefit from residency tuition and residency financial aid or other resident academic benefits.

@dpratt I don’t know how you reach this conclusion when the overwhelming majority of students are from California. Compare this to Michigan, where 40% are out of state. UC admits out of state students to bolster its reputation and drive up standards. It aspires to be a national university, not a regional one. Problem is that some California residents feel they are entitled to admission.

Rejected students always look for scapegoats. More than 75% of students come from California, so there are plenty of spaces. It is also a case of grades and SAT scores not being enough.

UC admits OOS students to bolster their $$$. No state financial assistance and double the tuition price. Yet they are good enough schools for many OOS to apply and be willing to pay. When average GPA at most is over 4.0, it’s tough for everyone. I understand both sides - the schools were built to educate CA students, but they do still have to operate in the real world which costs $$.

Beats me why OOS students would go into debt to attend UC when Michigan and UVA offer excellent financial aid. And neither Michigan nor UVA are facing budget cuts. Milking OOS only works when there aren’t alternatives. And you don’t get OOS when you have packed classes, cancelled courses, and are announcing major budget cutbacks.