**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

Yah, they probably had raw data

But we were completely freaked out when we saw the numbers back in Dec. and told our D to apply to a lot more colleges. lol

“ The UC’s have capped the # of OOS and International applicants which leaves the majority of spots for CA students. ”
Do you happen to know where they capped at? I know UCSD used to have 50%+ OOS acceptance rate a few years ago.

That’s the acceptance rate for OOS students but still the raw numbers are much lower.

1 Like

Here is the article about the Cap on OOS/International enrollment. UCSD’s cap is based on the 2017-2018 Academic year. I know it is over 18% but under 22%, not sure of the exact number.

1 Like

So that 18% is the OOS students enrollment rate? I assume the yield for OOS is pretty low since UC tuition is one of the highest, with 30% yield, the acceptance rate for OOS would still be over 50%?

1 Like

Yes, the 18% is for OOS and International enrollment. For UCI, I have specific data and they had a 5.1% matriculation rate for OOS 2020 and 12.7% for International which adds up to around 18%. I have not found specific data for UCSD but I am still searching.

1 Like

You can’t deduce acceptance rate from the percentage of entering students that are out of state/intl.

What?

Acceptance rate is the number of students accepted divided by the number of students who applied. For OOS it would be the number of OOS students accepted divided by the number of OOS students who applied.

1 Like

@2021collegeapp: I found the data under the Freshman admission summary so here it is for 2020 UCSD
OOS applicants: 16086
Admitted: 8955
Enrolled: 912
Matriculation yield: 10.2%

International applicants: 17156
Admitted: 5533
Enrolled: 659
Matriculation yield: 11.9%

Total= so 22.1 % which is around what UCLA and UCB are capped at for the OOS and International students.

I think you confused “yield” with “capped”. they are completely different things. capped number, imo, is the number of available seats for specific student group; yield is enrolled divided by accepted.

My understanding is the CAP set for the UC"s is for the # of enrolled students or percentage they are allowed.

2 Likes

Both of you are right. They manage their yield so that they don’t go over capped numbers. And all schools usually try to stay under capped numbers by 2-3%

2 Likes

That is like more than 50% acceptance

Yep, high acceptance rate but low enrollment rate usually due to the high costs to attend. You would be surprised how many OOS and International students are unaware that the UC’s will not offer them financial aid.

3 Likes

If UC schools all release decisions on the same day, wouldn’t that mean that UCSD would be not this week if they historically release on Fridays and (is it?) UCLA thats releasing this Friday 19th? So would it be more realistic to expect 26th?

gocha!

I’ve heard that they might start releasing during the week, but that can be anywhere between Mon-Fri. Since the decisions day has already deviated from the last years, we can base them on the trends, but they might be completely different. ig at this point, all we can do is wait and check the portal 4:30 each day (now thats an ingredient for anxiety)

2 Likes

I don’t need financial aid that’s why I didn’t submit FAFSA form. Is it possible that UCs reject my application because of that. If anything is missing in the application do they contact you or reject the application.

We didn’t fill out a FAFSA because we knew we wouldn’t qualify anyway. My D got accepted to UCI without it so you should be ok.