UC Santa Barbara Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

we just received same and would love an answer. Waitlisted at 2 other UCs no financial package from them. This also happened 2 days ago from UCSB.

First of all, admissions and the FA office are separate. Also the financial aid office needs to be working on FA packages for all students on the waitlist in case they get off the waitlist. At this point it does not mean anything and it looks like UCSB’s FA office is ahead of the game just in case.

1 Like

This just posted by UCSB:

3 Likes

Thank you for the information and I have posted the image to the top of this discussion for future reference. Interesting that UCSB’s waitlist admits are fairly high in comparison to many of the other UC’s last year. Best of luck to all patiently waiting to hear from the waitlist.

1 Like

UCSB admitted ~ 30K last year with ~2100 coming from wait list - 15.9% yield… This year initial admits is ~25K … These numbers suggest they think the yield will be higher this year vs last year - any idea why that might be? or am I missing something?

I believe 2020 and 2021 with the Covid pandemic, there were many issues in regards to yield, which included Gap year students, deferrals and last year’s Housing fiasco, that they are being conservative and trying to avoid over enrolling. If there yield prediction is off, then they can pull from the waitlist. It has been voiced on a couple of campus admission tours, that the UC’s are leaning towards a conservation admission number this year just for that reason.

Just seeing this. Could you please share the information about the one year transfer option to UC’s please.

We are in shock! My youngest of 4 has been denied or waitlisted to every California school she applied to. We completely underestimated the situation since my other 3 kids went to UCLA, UC Berkeley and SDSU.

4 Likes

I will send you a PM regarding 1 year UC transfers but just know that it is very difficult for many majors to transfer within a year unless you have significant amount of AP credit and possible DE/CC courses already taken as a HS student.

Could you send me this to? I am a senior trying to figure out how to do the 1 year UC transfer

Sent a PM.

1 Like

could you PM me about the UC 1 year transfer? please don’t reiterate the difficulty and low chance, i understand it and i’m still willing to try.

Interesting. It does not indicate how many waitlisted kids were eventually offered a spot, only how many actually enrolled. Do they disclose that data? I’m assuming many became invested in the schools they were forced to commit to by may 1, and decided against the waitlist spot that was offered…

Compared to other schools like Davis that require a 200 word LOI to remain on the wl, sb is just a click, so probably has kids on the list who may be less invested in actually accepting a spot. Total conjecture here. Gumbymom, thoughts?

when/how have waitlist decisions come out? (waves, dates, closing dates)

You can check previous years discussions to see when the waitlisted students were notified. Historically, the waitlist admits dates, the # admitted and when it is officially closed varies from year to year. It all depends upon how many spots are open so please SIR to a school and move on. If there is a decent amount of spots open, admits will be notified in waves but if only few spots are available then more of a trickle.

Last year there was an admission wave May 10th and another May 17th. Waitlist closed on June 28.

Quote From UCI:
Dale Leaman, UC Irvine’s executive director of undergraduate admissions, said the campus was “super conservative” in its initial admission offers this year. That’s because it overenrolled last year, after more students than expected accepted Irvine’s admission offer. This year, Leaman said, the campus will admit more students from the waitlist if needed.

Quote from UCSB
“We were conservative with our initial offers to ensure we don’t over-enroll,” admissions staff told Noozhawk in an email. “We will rely on our waitlist to fill any remaining space we might have after May 1.”

UCI just released its first batch of the waitlist and these quotes are strikingly similar.

1 Like

UCI just released some spots to waitlisted kids? Before may 1?

Yes some waitlisted students were admitted yesterday. UCI stated they under enrolled on purpose this year due to over enrollment last year. Most admits were non- impacted majors although one Environmental Engineering major (alternate) was accepted. They have until May 1 to accept or decline.

Santa Barbara has said they are releasing transfer admits on Thursday. Would they typically release waitlist shortly after?

I did look at previous waitlist discussions and I can see admits from mid to late April – but I wasn’t sure how that aligned with transfer decisions.

2 Likes

Wondering the same thing.