UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

That’s a good question, but I don’t think she really knows. Almost certainly not med school or clinical psychology for that matter. Maybe grad school since there may be few jobs suited to just the undergrad credential.

To do much with a psychology degree one would need to go to grad school.

UCSB is more clinical then not simply due to the brain sciences degree.

Let me add my reasoning in favor of UCR honors. I also did an honors degree long ago at a different large public university and had a good experience. It helped me because I had to take courses that brought me in closer contact with professors and provided some research opportunities, along with an undergrad thesis (similar to UCR capstone).

And when it was just going to be UCR I kind of sold the point heavily to all concerned (the small college inside a big U). Now that UCSB is an option, I think it’s a better bet overall. So that’s the main comparison I’d like to make. Assume, since my daughter does not know, that we’re talking about who plans to continue with grad school.

1 Like

I don’t follow you exactly. I guess my specific question is how does UCSB brain science stack up against UCR neuroscience with honors, and yes, let’s assume this someone who may continue into a PhD program with a research focus.

Honestly, because she is in the honors at UCR and neuroscience there probably is very little differences between the 2 schools other then location.

The honors will make it feel smaller and provide a more intimate deeper learning while pursuing close to the same type of degree, which in my opinion will equal out the rankings of the departments/degree.

More important would be the graduate school and/or PHD degree, where she would go.

So as I see it, location is the biggest differentiator.

Just wanted to say that I totally empathize with the situation you’re describing- my daughter had no perfect option, but a few pretty good ones so I led the way with enthusiasm and framed what seemed to be the best available option as a win and a great choice (I wanted her to be excited and not feel like she was settling). But with waitlist options shaking loose, the calculus is a little different. It’s hard, though, to back away from the factors you pointed to in pitching the original option as a great choice. It’s an emotional decision as well as a rational decision; it’s hard to frame a situation so that someone falls in love with it and then say “oh never mind, forget about all of those things I said were great, now you should do this other thing over here because this is actually better.” Hang in there. This whole experience has been so much tougher than I expected.

3 Likes

Cog Sci at Davis has three emphases - computational (more CS/AI), neuroscience and psychology. My oldest completed the neuro cog sci degree at UCD so I can answer questions about it if it ends up being an option.

I would look at the major requirements for neuroscience at UCR and compare them to Psych & Brain Science at UCSB. Look at the upper division, more specialized courses and see if one appeals to her over the other. One positive about UCSB is that it is easy to change majors within L&S.

1 Like

We will definitely go down for a visit if it’s something she decides she wants to consider. I’ve given her a day off before I even start asking questions, but she knows time is short to decide. She has visited once before when her brother was admitted 2 years ago, but that was during COVID and we know it wasn’t representative.

A few things that I’m thinking as there are definitely pros and cons to bringing UCSB into the mix again.

PROS:

– It’s a better school for – or at least is better associated with – social sciences. And she doesn’t know what she wants to study precisely, but she won’t be a STEM major

– It’s been really hard to get detailed information on several of the UCs on this front, but I think their choral music program might be better than UCSDs. UCSD has a pretty cool cutting edge electronic/computer music department, but for something like chamber singers, UCSB’s might be better. Then again she might just sing in an a cappella group, and that will be fine/good enough pretty much at any UC.

– Smaller campus feels closer, easier to get around. Isla Vista does have that college town feel more than La Jolla does; once you are off-campus, you still feel part of the community that is right there

– Fewer students at a UC is generally a good thing!

– Maybe more creative types vs. UCSD?

CONS:

– Santa Barbara isn’t really a city like SF, LA, or SD. And all else being equal, she wants to be near a city. Given the transit now from UCSD, she can really get to and feel a part of San Diego if she takes advantage of that (I think she would – her whole life is pretty much going to indie music concerts at little urban venues; she’s going to want to make that happen)

– She’s pretty well established on the road to getting excited about UCSD. Owns the merch, has picked a roommate. Best friend since K is also going to UCSD, though in a different college so they would have distance and create their own worlds apart from one another.

– Residential college system at UCSD might be good for creating community and making a big school feel smaller. It helps that her college is central and probably close to social science classes (Sixth college itself actually houses some of those classrooms!) UCSB doesn’t really have that, and the actual housing definitely isn’t as good as what she’ll have in San Diego.

– GEs. The Sixth College GEs are almost ridiculously not taxing. She’s already out of a few of them by virtue of APs, very likely to get out of more. Could pretty easily have room to add a minor, plus the GEs she will need to satisfy are really well matched to her interests. I think she would need to satisfy more requirements at UCSB, the main difference being that UCSB Letters and Sciences has a foreign language requirement and somehow Sixth at UCSD does not. She got through Spanish IV last year with straight As in Spanish somehow, but partly that was because the high school never could find a new teacher to fill in for one who left mid-year. It was more or less study hall. So she will absolutely have to take a language at UCSB, and she would really prefer not to. UCSD doesn’t present that problem at all.

So we’ll see! But if a visit needs to happen, we’ll definitely make it happen. :wink:

2 Likes

My DD is in a similar position… She was accepted into UCSD (6th college) and was waitlisted at UCSB (Biology). She was super excited about UCSD… Bought the merch, went on the tour, connected with other incoming students, and then she received the acceptance email from UCSB this week. She has decided to attend UCSB. We are from San Diego, and I think she just wants a change, and maybe a better social environment. The UCSD campus is nice, but the surrounding area doesn’t have a college vibe. We toured UCSB a year ago and she really loved it. I’m having a harder time with the decision because UCSD is hard to beat for Biology (great academics!), but it’s not up to me! :wink: Good luck to your daughter! Either option is a great one!

1 Like

I totally can see both how you would feel conflicted and why she would be excited for a change. In the same vein, my daughter who lives in Berkeley is waitlisted at Cal. In the (highly unlikely, basically impossible) event that she were offered a spot there for fall, she would almost certainly turn it down. She’s ready for a new challenge! Congrats to your family on the pivot! In the grand scheme of things, she will barely remember this blip in time when she had a different plan.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer! Have you heard of anyone ever coming off the waitlist for Mechanical Engineering? Also, I know the School of Eng is smaller at UCSB than other UCs. Do you consider that a positive or a negative? Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

Although I don’t know anything about this subject, Edward_Ding commented on this if you scroll back to message 42/91. It appears since its an impacted major, I’d assume its tougher, but I would definitely consult someone who’s actually knowledgeable about this.

1 Like

As a UCSB student, I’ve heard that our Psych and Brain Sciences major is quite good.

1 Like
  1. UCSB is technically the 3rd highest ranked UC, but there’s not that much difference between UCSB and UCSD to be honest in terms of academics. However, UCSD is a very very STEM focused campus, more so than UCSB.
  2. UCSB actually has an amazing A Capella environment, surprisingly! This is one area that I was really surprised that UCSB excels in. Some on campus groups are UCSB InterVals (InterVals A Cappella (@intervalsucsb) • Instagram photos and videos>, UCSB Naked Voices (UCSB Naked Voices), and Brothas From Other Mothas (https://brothasfom.org/). I’ve been to an InterVals concert - they’re very talented.
  3. Isla Vista is a great college town and is really well integrated into campus. Cross Ocean Road, and you’re in the heart of the neighborhood. I believe over 90% of the residents there are students so it’s really really easy to fit in as a UCSB student. Having visited UCSD, it’s a little disconnected from La Jolla, and La Jolla itself has a lot more retirees and non students.
  4. UCSB is a smaller campus, while UCSD is actually I believe the largest UC in terms of total enrollment. We have some really good student to faculty ratios here too compared to the other UCs.
  5. Santa Barbara is a midsized city, and actually there’s a lot to do here. It’s definitely not a big big city like San Francisco, but getting around SB is pretty easy even without a car. The rail connection is pretty good to LA, only a 90 minute train ride from Santa Barbara. I went to LA for a day trip last fall via Amtrak, and that was pretty doable.
  6. I do have friends at UCSD, and what they have said is that the college system helps to build community, it does make it more difficult to hang out with/interact with other people outside of your college. It puts up a barrier. This is just what my friends have told me, so take it with a grain of salt.
  7. My understanding is that UCSD has a lot more GEs than UCSB - if she’s almost done with the Sixth GEs, she should be almost done with the UCSB ones.

I highly suggest visiting! UCSB must be seen in person for the full experience. Please let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

does anyone know if there will be any more updates about the waitlist today or tomorrow? do we have to wait until after the one week passes for those who already received an acceptance letter off the waitlist?

Usually the next round of admits will come after the SIR deadline after the last admits if spots are still open.

2 Likes

Has anyone who’s gotten off the waitlist sent in a LOCI/email to admissions? I know the form says they don’t consider LOCIs but I’ve heard conflicting things.

If UCSB states they do not accept LOCI’s, you should believe it.

Do you use Letters of Continued Interest in the waitlist selection process?
No, we do not use Letters of Continued Interest to select students from the waitlist. To express interest in the waitlist, you must simply opt in to the waitlist by the deadline (April 15 for freshmen)

1 Like

I just got off the waitlist at UCSB for pre-biology at 2:09 PM.

7 Likes

OMG congrats!!

1 Like