UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

Daughter just got off the waitlist for Economics.

5 Likes

I cannot speak about the diversity but with 26,000+ enrolled students, you will be able to find like minded students such as yourself. Hopefully @gauchoengineering can chime in with his experience. Best of luck with your decision.

2 Likes

My daughter got off the waitlist today as well for Environmental Science!

5 Likes

My DD got off the waitlist for pre-biology.

2 Likes

my deadline to SIR is the 10th. Do I have until 1159 on that day?

just got off the waitlist for Pre-statistics and data science!
did anyone get an email notification? i didn’t get any, and only found out through here lol

1 Like

My DS just got off the waitlist today for Environmental Studies. I thought he’d be thrilled but instead he seems upset about it. He’s already committed to SDSU and found a roommate there and psychologically has moved on. I’m not sure what he’ll end up doing because UCSB was initially his first choice but I think being waitlisted he moved on! I told him to think about it for a few days. Any input on the Environmental Studies major is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

UCSB is ranked #20 in the country for Environmental Studies. https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/united-states/environment-ecology

I wrote a little bit about my thoughts about the Engineering school here:

1 Like

I second this - never had any issues with finding an extremely diverse set of people. We have a well balanced population here, around 20% asian, 30% white, and 25% hispanic. There’s all sorts of people here, and I’m sure you can find people you can fit in with.

I was just curious if anyone has heard of anyone who has applied under a social science like Sociology or Pre-Political science getting off the waitlist at UCSB so far this year?

My DD got in off the waitlist for Psychology.

2 Likes

Off the waitlist for Geography this week.

1 Like

Does anyone know if UCSB or Davis is better for biology?

Academics/Curriculum for both are comparable. What is your career goal as a Bio major?

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist as a humanities major? Looking through this thread, and my DS’s friends who have gotten off the waitlist, it seems like it is mostly Soc Sci or Science majors.

My DD is possibly considering med school. And she’s interested in doing research during undergrad especially in microbiology. Her major at Davis is Molecular and Microbiology. I’m not sure how pre-bio works at UCSB, but on her UC app she listed Cell and Developmental Biology.

Do you know med school acceptance rate from UCSB v Davis?

My daughter got off the waitlist last week for Letters & Sciences, Undeclared. She’s a likely sociology or anthropology major but applied undeclared.

1 Like

A Google search led me to this pdf with UCSB med school application data. I can’t find the same for Davis as everything is taking me to stats about the UC Davis medical school.

I attended UCSB and have a child who attended UCD. We were, obviously, years apart but I feel that the pre-health advising at UC Davis is better than UCSB. That said, advising only helps if a student takes advantage of it.

Davis pre-health advising offers a pre-health conference, med-school boot camp, application and interview prep, a MCAT mock exam and much more. Davis also has a health sciences LLC in the dorms (note: more students apply for it than there is space). UCSB may offer similar programs but I haven’t been able to find it.

UC Davis Pre-Health Advising https://hpa.ucdavis.edu/
UCSB Pre-Health Advising https://healthsciences.duels.ucsb.edu/

2 Likes

Got off waitlist for Chemical Engineering at 11:01 AM, in state

6 Likes