**uc santa cruz class of 2025 discussion**

did anyone get the honors college invite?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a lot of different answers regarding waitlist admissions-- are they sent out periodically as people deny the admissions offer, or in a big bunch in may or June?

1 Like

Cal Poly SLO is a great choice!! I am pretty sure my twins are both headed there even though one got in to UCSC and UCSB while the other was waitlisted at those two. And they donā€™t particularly want to go together.

1 Like

Send one twin to SLO & one to UCSB. The rivalry is fun & they are close enough to visit each otherā€™s campus easily

1 Like

CS major. UCSC vs Cal poly slo. Where would you choose to go? (Assume donā€™t consider cost difference)

1 Like

Twin that got into SB is pretty set on Cal Poly.

I just did a while ago.

Well, I donā€™t want to tell you where to go because I feel like you should go wherever you feel happiest at, but I was accepted to Cal Poly SLO for CS and waitlisted to UCSC for CS. I personally would choose UCSC over Cal Poly SLO, and I plan on doing so if I get off the waitlist. You canā€™t go wrong with either school, they are both amazing for CS. But as of now, Iā€™m heading to SLO.

Thanks for sharing. I heard a lot of good things about cs major in slo but not much for UCSC. But UCs are bigger research schools. I just donā€™t know much about cs at UCSC. Hope you get off the WLšŸ¤ž

Curious to know what sways you more towards UCSC as opposed to SLO? I often hear the opposite.

Iā€™m a Florida alum. Thatā€™s a huge accomplishment! Itā€™s unbelievably competitive to get in there now. Congrats!!

Thanks!

I visited both campuses back in 2019 and absolutely LOVED UCSC. I got really good vibes from it- everyone was smiling, deer would walk right next to you, and the foggy forest feeling pretty much sold me. Downtown Santa Cruz was just crazy to meā€¦ thereā€™s a massive boardwalk right on the beach and the shops/restaurant area felt just like UCSBā€™s State Street (which I loved). I enjoyed SLO, but the campus and downtown were a downgrade from Santa Cruz in my eyes. Tech companies flood both UCSC and SLO so itā€™ll be easier to land internships at both schools compared to others. At UCSC, Microsoft and Amazon give interviews right on campus instead of just handing you a pamphlet saying to apply online like they do at most schools. If you compare both schools on LinkedIn, youā€™ll see that the top 5 companies that hire UCSC graduates are: Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, and Genentech. Top 5 at SLO are: Apple, Google, Amazon, Cisco, and Salesforce. UCSC and SLO seriously couldnā€™t be better schools when it comes to the opportunities youā€™re given as a CS major. I think the most important thing to base your decision off of is where you see yourself living for the next 4 years. Donā€™t choose SLO over UCSC just because they are considered to have a better CS, because they really donā€™t. This is just all my opinion. You may love SLOā€™s campus and downtown much more than Santa Cruz. But for me, Iā€™m not going to lie and say I like SLO better just because UCSC didnā€™t accept me. Keep in mind, a happy student = a successful student.

7 Likes

Hi, my S would love UCSC but the job placement on the rankings I saw was WAY below some of his other schools. That seemed really strange to me since itā€™s so close to Silicon Valley. Iā€™ve seen a couple of students now posting that they would/will choose SC over other UCs or Cal Poly. Wondering if anyone can shed more light on this?

I did. Do a lot of people get this?

Thank you for a well thought out analysis of what makes it a bette match for you. I am also curious to know why UCSC over UCI? Any difference in the departments from your perspective? Looks like big tech companies actively recruit on campus at UCSC- do you know if they recruit as heavily on campus at UCI?

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering too- not just placement but median initial salaries- one place says itā€™s around $62,000 which is below the average in the country and other places say it is more like $82,000. Where are they getting their data and what is the N, because that is such a huge spread.

1 Like

I was looking at Ivy Achievement rankings. It looked like the salaries were ok (maybe low for the Bay Area cost of living) but # placement was much, much lower than other schools my son has already been accepted to. At the same time, Iā€™ve heard the SC CS program is good so it doesnā€™t add up.

This is why we are so up in the air about UCSC- the information out there doesnā€™t seem to add up.

1 Like

Iā€™ve posted this article before. Itā€™s a 4-year old article about Silicon Valley hiring:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/967985/silicon-valley-companies-like-apple-aapl-hires-the-most-alumni-of-these-10-universities-and-none-of-them-are-in-the-ivy-league/amp/