UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Students got housing affiliation yesterday and have a deadline May 27

3 Likes

Good Luck! Hopefully this week. My D22 got her college affiliation yesterday and a deadline for housing by 5/27. It’s been an insane and stressful year for all. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

4 Likes

I really like your rational
there is no way they are that different than past years. Maybe there won’t be as many off the waitlist but I can’t imagine that it is zero this year???

3 Likes

Staying positive. I also can’t believe there will be zero WL offers.

If you look at 2019 numbers, pre Covid because that was a unique situation, things are still encouraging:

Offered WL 12,859
Accepted WL 7,576

ADMITTED FROM WL 4,676

I understand they had 4,000 more applicants than last year, but I’m choosing to remain optimistic

AND
.yesterday was UCSB’s SIR deadline from their wave last week. :crossed_fingers:t2:

5 Likes

I agree there have to be some spots available. I personally know people who gave up their spot. But if we don’t get anything by mid next week idk how i’ll feel :sweat_smile: they really should release some this week

2 Likes

If only they put us in charge! :joy:

1 Like

Not to dis-encourage people here. Rather a reminder that the chance of getting off waitlist is normally not very high; and with the “craziness” in all other UCs this year, if the student only admitted to UCSC but not others, they are more likely to “say yes” to UCSC.

The reason why UCs suggest students to prioritize the schools they already admitted over waitlist is because, for example, if there are 6000 seats that UCSC have for Freshman, they will admit 36000 and hoping 6000 of them will “say yes”. For the waitlist, they won’t over admit like the regular decision, so basically, at least 30000 AND 1 person in the regular admitted need to reject their offer before 1 offer going out to a “lucky” student in the waitlist.

3 Likes

I also asked them if housing would be guaranteed for freshman if they were admitted off the waitlist and their response:

“We don’t have any housing guarantees in place right now, but new frosh and new transfers receive highest priority for housing.”

2 Likes

I am remaining “rationally optimistic.” If you were a UC admissions officer, trying to figure out what percentage of students would accept an offer in order to “solve for” your target Freshman class size, I have to believe you’d err on the side of conservatism. Why?

1. The risks to them seem hugely asymmetric. If you let in more kids than you have room for, that has to be a complete nightmare. Housing issues. Professor/student ratio issues. Financial aid issues. Nightmare. Conversely, if you don’t let in enough kids in your initial admit decision, you simply go to the waitlist and “top off” from that source of demand. Kids are slightly inconvenienced, and the school is able to precisely calibrate size of class. I would think they would opt for the later scenario when balancing the two possible outcomes (not admitting enough or admitting too many).

2. USCS is not at the top of the UC list, and so they are subject to likely having accepted kids who will then be accepted elsewhere, and get off the waitlists elsewhere. How the heck do you figure out that multi-variable math? Again, argues for being conservative on initial admit list.

3. If you try to gauge admissions decisions based on students’ behavior over the last 2 years, good luck! Covid changed the game. Making predictions harder, I’m sure. Again, argues for conservatism on initial admit list.

If UCSC doesn’t open a waitlist, then either (a) they are rocket scientists who have cracked the code on admissions math to get to exactly the right number of admits, juggling all those crazy variables above, (b) they were caught off guard and “nailed it” (the admit math game) by blind luck. I’d be surprised if either were the case.

8 Likes

Feeling for everyone who are on waiting list. Just FYI, based from housing application did yesterday deadline housing for freshman on my site is May 27 indeed so short time frame. Praying for all! God Bless.

3 Likes

It seems that students are applying for more schools (10+) in recent years, and it’s likely more students SIRed multiple schools just to have more options and more time to consider. I wonder when some got accepted off the waitlist but don’t bother to notify the original school. As the result students are deadlocked. Schools won’t know how many are actually coming until the registration deadline. This may happen especially to schools like UCSC and UCR. This is just my guess. But hubby disagrees my theory, he said they should at least accept 20%, maybe their hard drive crashed and lost all data LOL.

1 Like

I don’t think people are allowed to SIR to multiple schools.

2 Likes

Morally, it would be wrong to, but college have no way of finding out if you do. If they do, then you can be in serious trouble

2 Likes

From the data of the previous years, UCSC had to go so deep (~50%) into the waitlist to “top off” its freshmen class (~4250 students in the freshman class, from the total of ~17000 undergraduate in school / 4). It suggests that, historically, a lot of students in the USCS waitlist ended up choosing other schools. This could be why admission of UCSC intentionally wanted to be the last UC to admit waitlist in order to minimize the number of waves they need to do.

The following data posted by the admin at the beginning of these forum:
2021:
Number of applicants offered waitlist: 19170
Number of applicants opting into the waitlist: 12541
Number admitted: 6633

2020:
Number of applicants offered waitlist: 16484
Number of applicants opting into the waitlist: 10370
Number admitted: 8870

2019:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 12,859
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 7,576
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 4,676

2 Likes

No – You can’t do this. You risk having both offers rescinded. When we got off the waitlist from one of the top picks, task 1 on the checklist from the new school was essentially a harsh message saying “We know you are SIR’d somewhere else, you better remove that SIR or there will be serious consequences!” You accept a waitlist offer and the very next move is to withdraw your other SIR.

2 Likes

Such a gamble if housing is not guaranteed. My daughter SIRed at a CSU and has received her top choice for housing there. She would love to get off the waitlist at UCSC but is terrified of giving up her CSU certainty for the possibility of homelessness!

2 Likes

I completely understand! I’m nervous as well. My daughter has SIR’d to SDSU, picked her housing and rooming with a friend.

I feel like we’re following UCSC to the depths of WL hell
 :imp:

1 Like

I feel the same. My son SIR’d to Berkeley, but Santa Cruz is his first choice. I’m hoping this process will all make sense at some point, but right now it’s just really frustrating.

4 Likes

The school knows when the damn housing deadline is. It just seems unfair to the kids to wait so long

While we are all waiting, can you guys share what major and location so we can cheer each other on if the waitlist gets rolling??

Us:

DD instate
Psych major

Hoping we ALL get in!

3 Likes