UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Schools compile all types of data about students who have been most and least likely to accept an offer of admission such as gender, race, ethnicity, what highs school they attended, and more.

y’all gotta cut it out with the yield protection posts. they ask you for essays and extracurriculars for a reason. ucsc didn’t “yield protect” y’all, there’s no definite proof that ucsc (or any college for that matter) engages in this practice. the school probably didn’t think that y’all would thrive in their environment. i personally know plenty of people from my school that had high stats and got accepted to ucsc without any problem. rejection sucks, but the best thing you can do at the moment is take it with a grain of salt and move on. blaming your rejection on extenuating circumstances that aren’t within your control (or even proven for that matter) isn’t gonna change your outcome. not only that, but it’s is rude and it diminishes the success of those who had gotten into the school.

8 Likes

It’s been stated on CC many times that the UCs use yield management, including UCSC. People aren’t looking for excuses they’re looking for insight. Just because you know people from your high school that got in doesn’t negate the large number of posters on here with the exact opposite experience.

Yield management is real. If you have further questions ask @Gumbymom

9 Likes

This is my take and explanation of the difference between yield protect and yield management. There is a lot of speculation out there about which schools yield protect however, no schools have come out and stated that they actually do yield protect especially the UC’s.

Yield management vs. Yield protect

Yield protect is a strategy some individuals feel that is used by colleges to increase their yield rate which in basically rejects highly qualified applicants who they believe will not enroll if accepted. Schools that offer EA/ED/EDII/SCEA or REA have been associated with this Yield protection concept but not confirmed. Since UC’s do not consider an applicants interest in their admission criteria, this strategy does not fit the UC model.

Yield management uses a colleges historical yield rate to determine how many students need to be admitted to fill their incoming classes. They use their yield rate to predict revenue, housing availability and the # of course offerings needed each year. One of the ways the UC’s can mange their yield is through their waitlists.

My final word is that each UC is a separate entity and each campus will admit based on their own specific criteria.

5 Likes

Do you think we’ll hear anything next week?

I believe we will, but it might not be good :melting_face:

1 Like

Do you know why and when the UC system stopped having applicants rank their campus preferences? I feel like that might solve at least some of the craziness we’re seeing.

2 Likes

Let’s hope it’s good

2 Likes

I do not why the UC system stopped allowing applicants to rank their top 3 choices but I believe it was in the late 70’s when the ranking system was no longer offered.

2 Likes

I completely agree! My kid would gladly give up her UC Davis acceptance to get into Santa Cruz. And many would want to do exactly the opposite!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be helpful for the UCs with yield management? Maybe not so much for the top two or three campuses, but for the remaining ones?

1 Like

Yes, I think that it would be a good idea if the UC’s considered an applicant’s level of interest which they do not according to the CDS.

2 Likes

I thought we might be safe on weekends. Just got our WL rejection email from UCSB.

Now I have to stress 7 days a week :melting_face:

1 Like

I think you give the UC admissions system too much credit. Do you really think that the limited amount of time given to each particular applicant is enough to discern whether a particular student will thrive at a specific campus? I don’t think so.

1 Like

Yikes! So sorry!

1 Like

Oh wow! I had no idea it had been so long. I thought I remembered ranking them in the early '90’s, but clearly that’s just my imagination! It’s been awhile :slightly_smiling_face:

It has been a while since you could rank them but I would not rely on my memory either. Maybe it was the 90’s which is over 20+ years ago.

Oh no! So is UCSC the last ur waiting on?
I’m really hoping there is some admits next week!

2 Likes

We are committed to SDSU and on the UCSD and UCSC waitlists.

I hope the next news is good news!!

5 Likes

The ability to apply to multiple campuses (and get multiple offers) instead of an application to UC with ranked choices happened for Fall 86 incoming class.

5 Likes