UC student's parents moving out of California

<p>We are thinking of moving out of California after my youngest starts college. Up until now, I’ve lived in California my whole life. If she chooses a UC, would we pay OOS after we move?(After she has started her first year…)</p>

<p>You’ll need to look at the residency rules for the UC your kid decides to attend. But this is from the UCSB site:</p>

<p>Specific Rules Applying to Minors.</p>

<pre><code>Parent of Minor Moves from California. If the California resident parent(s) of an eligible minor moves from California, the minor will be entitled to resident classification as long as the minor enrolls full-time in a California public post-secondary institution within one calendar year of the parent’s departure, and remains physically present in California. This classification will continue until the minor has attained the age of majority and has resided in California for the minimum time required to become a resident. The financial independence requirement does not apply in this case.
</code></pre>

<p>[Establishing</a> California Residence for Tuition Purposes, Office of the Registrar](<a href=“404 - Page Not Found”>404 - Page Not Found)</p>

<p>Your kid could also take advantage of a Dream Act type of provision:</p>

<p>UC Nonresident Tuition Exemption for eligible California High School graduates (AB 540). Students enrolled or in the process of enrolling at a University of California campus after January 1, 2002, who attended a high school in California for three or more years, and who graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent), may qualify for an exemption from the nonresident tuition. Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students are eligible to apply for this exemption. Click here for more information.</p>

<p>Sounds like we are good to go. Thanks!</p>

<p>I urge you to contact the appropriate office at the UC where she will attend to clarify whether your move will affect her residency: [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions/residency/index.html]University”&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions/residency/index.html]University</a> of California - Residency<a href=“click%20on%20the%20campus%20name%20on%20the%20right%20to%20be%20directed%20to%20the%20campus%20residency%20office”>/url</a>. The UC campus has the final say in how she will be classified for tuition purposes.</p>