UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

Based on the 2021 Freshman admission data on the UCOP website, the Admission Rates for Out-of-State Applicants (Domestic):
13.9%

For International admission it was 9.1%

2 Likes

when will sortable versions be rleased?

I think the enrollment percentage of California residents versus out of state for undergrads of 88 vs 12% is reasonable if that is the figure. For graduate school it is needed to be higher, and if it is 25 to 75 ratio for graduate school that may be reasonable too in my opinion

Unless I’m misreading the UCOP data, it looks like at UCLA there were ~4600 OOS admits out of 15k total. That’s about 30%. That’s way too high. I’m glad there is now a cap at 18%. Obviously there is yield involved but even the raw admit counts are way too high in my biased view as a CA parent.

3 Likes

Is it freshman undergrads or the graduates are not considered freshman?

The UC’s accept a larger percentage of OOS and International students since the matriculation rate is lower mainly due to high costs. The bottom line is that these students bring in extra revenue so if you reduce the #, then tuition costs will go up to fund the missing $$$. Unfortunately a catch 22. I agree as a CA resident paying taxes that our students should have priority but also I do not want to see higher taxes or higher tuition rates.

4 Likes

There were 33383 OOS applications and 4636 were admitted which gives a 13.9% acceptance rate.

You need the application table: https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-research-academic-planning/_files/factsheets/2021/table-1.1-freshman-applications-by-campus-and-residency.pdf

The key data missing is how many OOS admitted students actually enrolled. Based on the enrollment stats for 2021, around 1354 of the 4636 OOS applicants enrolled so the yield rate was around 29%.

2 Likes

Has anyone received the Regents Scholarship Invitation? My son has not as of today, but I was reading about this and was curious if others have or if that goes out later in Feb.

Give it a few more days. It went out on Feb 7, 2020 and on Feb 9, 2021.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, apologies for the absence the past couple months. I have read through the posts and kind of finally got caught up. But I’ll do better about keeping up now that there is much more activity now.

@Gumbymom and @lkg4answers have covered pretty much everything but just to reiterate here are some of my thoughts mainly about the alumni scholarship emails.

1. Alumni scholarship email invitations are not sent to everyone although the selectivity process for “pre screening applicants” for invitation has gotten much looser over the years. As far back as 2014/2015ish the general correlation was 60% in terms of getting admitted and getting the scholarship invite. So there is a weak positive correlation there. Nothing to get too worked over other than if you got it, it shows you’re on the right track and if you didn’t, plenty of folks get in that did not get invited.

2. Admission is separate from winning an alumni scholarship. There are separate readers for the scholarships and the general admissions process. I am a scholarship reader. We use similar criteria but there are some differences. It is tougher to get an alumni scholarship than to get admitted. Also don’t sweat about reusing a UC app essay. I could tell if it was a reused PIQ but I personally DID NOT penalize applicants who reused it cause heck, I did the same thing as an applicant.

3. If you get a regents invite, you are practically in. Cased closed on that one. Congrats on being a top applicant at one of the top universities in the world.

4. All other UCLA emails bear no significance on getting admitted.

Please feel free to tag me if you have any questions about UCLA or the admissions process. Best of luck, the third Friday of March is right around the corner.

12 Likes

Today 2 in-state HS students discussing admissions to UCs: neither expects to get admitted to UCB, UCLA, UCSD & possibly UCD.

First 3.9 GPA/4.3 WGPA, 35 ACT (irrelevant) over 8 APs in diverse subjects, lots of leadership & great communication, applying for a humanities major.

Second, 3.92/4.29 GPA, 1530 SAT (irrelevant), many APs, great science research projects, applying for a science major.

That’s how severe competition is these days. Even 5 years ago things seemed to be easier. I have sympathy for these students. They are under enormous pressure & their self-worth is often (erroneously) tied to the caliber of schools that accept them.

8 Likes

Thank you @10s4life! Any idea on a date for Bruin Day?

I’m curious what will happen if in state parents have the choice of applying as an out of state for tuition purposes. Would more CA kids get in? Does it simply perpetuate existing inequities? I’ve often thought what I would do if I had this choice.

It’s sad the competition has gotten so intense.

Isn’t it harder to get in as an OOS applicant?

1 Like

No. I’m wondering if an in state parent can offer to pay OOS cost at say UCLA to reduce the amount of seats going to OOS kids. At some UCs, like Irvine the OOS admit rate is much higher. In this context, the GPA calculations will be in state.

1 Like

It was posted on the General UC board that is is April 9. I can’t get into the website but if you google Bruin Day 2022, it pops up with:

UCLA Bruin Day 2022

An exciting day on campus for admitted students and their families Freshmen: April 9, 2022 | Transfers: May 14, 2022.

Edit to note that UCD, UCSB, UCR and UCLA will all have their open houses on the same day.

5 Likes

Ah, this is a grey area. Not sure how I feel about it and how it would affect student demographics. Not to mention the legality of something like this.

1 Like

Yeah, sketchy but not too different from colleges choosing OOS kids to shore up budgets. It’s an interesting thought experiment that has often come to mind as my S22 navigates what looks like the admission cycle from hell.

3 Likes

Hypothetical, but I think I like my OOS chances better vs in-state competitive school. At our kids in-state everyone has perfect GPAs, tons of APs and ECs,but they always only take about 30, no matter how good they are. As you mentioned, UCI/UCSD/UCD have insane OOS acceptance as a great alternative. Assuming the OOS cost isnt an issue

1 Like