UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

Will UCLA release admission today?

Not confirmed but probable.

1 Like

Yes, we signed this form last June.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Local and Statewide ELC eligibility

The ELC discussion has now been moved here:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-local-and-statewide-elc-eligibility/

3 Likes

This is my second kid and the first had similar stats as him and she got a no at UCLA but a yes at UCSB and is very happy there. She was wl at Berkeley but declined it. She said “too close to home”! That ecl is cool but it isn’t to a particular campus at all.

6 Likes

S22 is going to a concert tonight too and I hope he doesn’t try to check his portal there!

3 Likes

Anyone ever hear about these UCs slightly favoring local in state kids over non-local in state kids? It seems like kids at my kids’ LA HS perhaps do a bit better at UCLA than Cal (based on past years experience). This is extremely anecdotal obviously but wondering if there is any truth to that.

4 Likes

My D’s school is located in LA county, however their acceptance rates to UCB was 30% and 17% to UCLA.

5 Likes

What is the out of state acceptance rate? Is it easier or harder to get in?

At UCLA (and Cal), it’s pretty close – just slightly easier to get in OOS. At some of the other UCs it’s significantly easier to get in from OOS (UCSD, UCSB, etc.). It’s not that the stats are a lot different in terms of who gets in – it’s just that they accept more because the yields are SO much lower on schools other than UCLA and UCB (from OOS). OOS families apply not realizing that they don’t get financial aid, and that OOS tuition surcharge puts it out of reach and far fewer of them enroll. There’s definitely data on this on the overall UC site. I’ll see if I can find it.

5 Likes

OOS at UCs is 40-50%, unlike most other state schools where OOS is closer to 10-15% (eg UVA, UNC chapel hill, UT Austin…)

2 Likes

UC’s do not give local preference like the Cal states but applicants from Southern California have a tendency to favor UCLA over UCB and it is the other way around in Northern California where they favor UCB over UCLA.

1 Like

UC admission rates for 2021:

Overall Admission Rates:

UCLA: 10.8%

UC Berkeley: 14.5%

UC Irvine: 29.0%

UC Santa Barbara: 29.2%

UC San Diego: 34.3%

UC Davis: 49.0%

UC Santa Cruz: 58.9%

UC Riverside: 66.0%

UC Merced: 95.6%

Admission Rates for California Applicants:

UCLA: 10.1%

UC Berkeley: 16.8%

UC Irvine: 20.1%

UC Santa Barbara: 28.0%

UC San Diego: 28.5%

UC Davis: 39.0%

UC Santa Cruz: 54.5%

UC Riverside: 64.0%

UC Merced: 99.7%

Admission Rates for Out-of-State Applicants (Domestic):

UCLA: 13.9%

UC Berkeley: 14.1%

UC Santa Barbara: 36.3%

UC Irvine: 74.0%

UC San Diego: 59.3%

UC Davis: 80.8%

UC Merced: 71.8%

UC Riverside: 85.7%

UC Santa Cruz: 82.2%

14 Likes

Wow the OOS favoritism is more sobering than I thought. Do you mind sharing your source?

5 Likes

I understand that the portal may update before the email is sent. But are emails sent for all results (acceptances, waitlist, rejections)? Cuz my son may want to ignore email before he gets home :flushed:

1 Like

It really is.

1 Like

I don’t think Davis is 80% OOS acceptance rate…

However, the OOS yield is low for the majority of the campuses since the UC costs are high and many OOS applicants do not run the NPC’s prior to applying.

Source: Undergraduate admissions summary | University of California

You can sort by campus and residency.

7 Likes

Yes, yield for OOS is generally lower for most state schools for same reason. UMichigan is 67k and others aren’t too far behind. UCs maybe the only or the few who favor OOS by a pretty significant amount for admission though.