UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

same here. wonder if it’s still top 1.5% or more this year

2 Likes

You should feel very proud of yourself! My kids were in the same boat. Public school kids did not have it easy doing remote learning for over a year. Yet many of them managed to keep up their grades without cheating and with far less support than in person teaching allows.

2 Likes

The email says to create an application profile and answer supplemental questions so I am guessing some short answers at a minimum? The application is due March 29th and results third week of April. When my son figures it out, I will post more info!

5 Likes

I was responding to the poster in Post 1455 above who claimed public school students were remote and cheating to get A grades, unlike private school students getting in-person instruction in her area.

Many private schools in our area also had in-person school when the public schools were all remote and, in fact, many families left public schools for private ones for that reason. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I don’t think private school students did not also work hard and overcome obstacles — I just thought it was outrageous to suggest public school (or any remote) students didn’t earn their grades.

8 Likes

My son has never had a B an he is n 17th place in class. They measure on 100 point scale. So 93 is lowest A. I think he had 17 AP/Honors course coming before Senior year.(9,10.11) So that means somehow # 17 up to #1 are separated by getting a 97 vs a 100 in a class. Our school weights AP and Honors lower than UC system does. So when you plug him into UC he does look pretty good.

1 Like

Is the regent’s program at all need-based or is it entirely merit-based?

I understand. I agree with you. I think many many students worked very hard and I am sure there were students cheating but I believe that’s why it’s a holistic review of the candidates. One again another reason why SAT / ACT score might help ( I have no opinion on SAT) but they might help flush out the grade inflation / deflation and the cheating if thar makes sense. I saw kids that all claim to have these straight As but then they can’t break 1000 on SAT and that doesn’t make sense.

5 Likes

Top 1.5 % of what ?

top 1.5% of applicants that get invited to apply for regents

Congratulations!! What was the email subject?

My son is, I think, 7th inn his class right now. He’s probably had 5 Bs? But, no one above him is an unweighted 4.0 either.

1 Like

My son also received the invite for regents.

The email says that the scholarship offers a merit award of $2,000 per year for four years, plus more if the student shows financial needs.

6 Likes

Congratulations to all who received Regents invites!

9 Likes

How do you think they decide the top 1.5 %? Just curious what you think that would be ? I have no idea what the top 1.5 % at UCLA would be

Son got it too!

3 Likes

Yes, you should be very proud!

My public school S22 lost a whole semester of letter grades junior year when his school went P/NP, while I believe the private schools I know of in our area kept letter grades. It was a tough period for all one way or another.

4 Likes

It’s definitely not just based on grades. I think there are other elements (at least one of the two students from my son’s HS class last year who was awarded it was not at all a top scholar but rather an exceptional musician and very talented in other ways, including her contributions to the community). My son who is a first-year at UCLA was not invited to apply, but from the outside looking in, I think one of the biggest benefits to Regents (of course the $ is nice!) is that you get priority enrollment times for up to 10 units each quarter. At the beginning that will make all the difference in being able to get into courses you want and need. Otherwise, first-years are far down the list in terms of when they get to pick their classes and it’s a struggle until you are further along in your degree.

2 Likes

Any admitted kids getting texts from 213-592-2096? TIA.

1 Like

It was titled “Regents Scholarship Invitation” and sent from UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships.

2 Likes