UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

yes

1 Like

as a kid from a “public school who was online for half of sophomore and all of junior year” and apparently “cheated my way to all As” – I’ve maintained those As before and after the pandemic. as hard as it has been I have pulled myself up by the bootstraps. through severe depression, family issues, and the difficulties of Zoom learning I’ve persevered even with a major rejection early on in the application process. I’m low-income and I can’t afford to attend a private school, yet I’ve gotten straight 5s on my AP exams and a 1520 on my SAT despite doing mostly self-learning. would you like to pay for my private schooling instead?

oh, and I got accepted into UW Seattle OOS (with Honors college), UC Davis, UCSD, and UCLA by not cheating.

34 Likes

not sure why this was a reply to my post but I’m pretty sure I didn’t cure cancer… hoping for good results for your daughter tho!

2 Likes

Y’know…it sounds like your son is a very together person!

Congrats on the fab results. Interesting choice, indeed: UCLA v. Cornell.

1 Like

There’s a lot of bitter parents on this thread. My kid was rejected with an older sibling at UCLA. Bummed? Yes. Bitter? No. Just ignore the angry ones. Congrats on your hard work abs acceptances. :tada:

13 Likes

What does that have to do with ucla admissions ? I think I missed something ? Is this the wrong thread?

6 Likes

How is it ucla versus Cornell? Isn’t Cornell Ed ? Or is it EA?

1 Like

So cheating started with Covid online? Really?

As another poster mentioned, why/how is this relevant to UCLA admissions?

2 Likes

I believe her son received a likely letter from Cornell.

1 Like

I didn’t see that. Thanks for clarifying. Interesting a likely letter from Cornell. Must be an athlete.

Let’s stop the conversations about cheating and get back to UCLA Class of 2026 discussion.

11 Likes

Was anyone accepted to UCLA as Undeclared? I don’t recall seeing any such acceptances although I’m sure they’re out there. Congrats to all who got in!

Not me, but I know a few people who have gotten accepted as undeclared

1 Like

Had a question I was hoping to get some help with. I was accepted as a Bio major but I am still not sure if that’s really what I want to major in. I know I DON’T want to go to med-school. After doing some research, the combination of the academic rigor and quarter system are making me nervous. This is compounded by how far I would be from home (I live in PA). Don’t get me wrong, I am a good HS student (top 10 in my class of 475) and I think I will eventually get the hang of it all. But wanted to ask if it truly is sink or swim in the sciences or is there a way to ease into the class work while adjusting to the 10 week system? Should I focus on gen eds at first with a heavy dose of humanities? Can I change my major if I find something I like better? Are the advisors helpful? Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

I can address 1 of your questions… my niece attended UCLA as a bio major, also top of her class in high school. She got through it and graduated, but it was extremely difficult and much more competitive than she expected. UCLA is a great school and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it!

2 Likes

My daughter is a current freshman at UCLA (L&S Pre Data Theory).

Prior to enrolling you should be meeting with an advisor who will look over your transcripts and give you feedback on the classes you have chosen. I think most freshman are recommended to take 3 classes to start, 1 being a GE so they can ease into it. My daughter has stuck with this and has taken a GE every quarter (taking 4 classes with music).

As for the rigor, I think it depends. My daughter breezed through some GEs and math classes, but called Engineering Physics (1A) her most challenging class to date, as the class was curved with low midterm averages. This I think is par for science classes. A good resource you may want to check is bruinwalk, i think they post grade distribution by class. If you have good study habits and regularly attend class, Im sure you will do great!

6 Likes

He received advanced notice that he’d be receiving an admission letter. They sent them out to some students — his was from the diversity office. I think athletes get them too.

1 Like

When did letters come out ? Just curious

My son looking at bio too. Did you feel the academic support was a problem since a big school? Or did that seem like it was adequate help

1 Like

I will address some of your questions and also give you some food of thought:

1. UCLA would have not accepted you if they thought you could not handle the academic rigor.

2. Since you are OOS, you will be paying full fees for Undergrad around $260K for the 4 years.

3. UCLA will be competitive and you will be competing with 100’s of students such as yourself for those top grades

4. Yes, you change majors from Biology within the College of Letters and Sciences however, if you decide you want to pursue Engineering, it will be difficult to change majors.

5. What is your backup plan for Biology which does not have a good return on investment as a stand alone major so you need to figure out a contingency plan.

6. Quarters move fast and taking a lower unit load the first quarter will help ease you into the fast pace of the classes. You need to keep on top of your work and hit the ground running.

Congratulations and best of luck.

Check out this link: https://prehealth.ucla.edu/ucla-pre-health-services/

7 Likes