UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

Wow, this sounds pretty amazing. Thank you for sharing it!

2 Likes

All Freshman can take a cluster- it’s not by invite. My daughter is in the Food cluster right now- definitely worth doing! You knock out 4 GE requirements in just 3 quarters, and the material is great too.

Another benefit is that it’s one less class you have to worry about getting into- the struggle to get other classes is definitely true.

Somewhat related, I suggest taking summer classes BEFORE freshman year. Tuition is in-state for summer sessions, and it will give you more credits so you get an earlier appointment by Spring quarter.

3 Likes

I realized that I answered the question above as if you were asking about a major and minor, but in reality you were asking about a double major. I am honestly not sure – I just know that kids who take CS classes are pretty much just kids who were admitted to Samueli, which is a totally separate school from the College, which is what Econ falls into. So I kind of doubt it? But I don’t want to steer you wrong, so I would absolutely contact UCLA directly to ask. Here’s a page within the Econ department that references double majoring (but within the College). I think I’d still reach out to them directly, though, to ask: Frequently Asked Questions | UCLA Economics

3 Likes

UCLA does not offer a CS minor.

2 Likes

@mikeswede hooked you up with the answer – open to all freshmen. You’ll want to enroll during your Orientation week at the point when you get to pick classes. And I suggest having a few that you are interested lined up in case the first one you want is full by the time your slot comes around. And if you can’t get into any, you can ask your “new student advisor” (who is your go-to person during Orientation) to work magic on the back end to help get you in. That’s what happened for my son, and it’s worked out well. As Mike mentioned, one of the big advantages is that you are guaranteed that class each quarter during the first year, so you don’t need to use “first pass” registration during winter and spring quarters to get it – which means you have room to get your other courses you want/need during first pass. Also check out the Fiat Lux seminars!

2 Likes

@GoldRush2 Thanks again! Will reach out to UCLA.

1 Like

She has decided, we are still approaching it very objectively.

Is there any detailed info on Bruin day (April 9th) yet? Like is he supposed to register somewhere? Tried looking at the portal but all he saw was a bunch of booked tour dates in the surrounding dates.

It’s Bruin bound day and it’s on the 1st, 2nd, 8th, and 9th. Click under the tabs where it says Bruin Day, should have 4 days with time slots

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: UCLA Fall 2022: Transfer Thread

Any idea when Alumni scholarship notifications will be sent out?

Usually before Bruin Day.

4 Likes

Yah they were all full except for on the 11th … may just head up for a regular Engineering tour at some point that week. He’s been to the campus before to self-tour. (Maybe the 11th was an added date? Not convenient for us at all, was hoping for a weekend.)

On another note I’d rec avoiding clusters. Although you get a ge out of the way and writing II, it’s usually tougher classes and you miss out picking a wider selection of standalone GEs. I haven’t heard of many people liking a cluster. This is the first.

3 Likes

Really? I haven’t heard of anyone NOT liking them- at least from my daughter and her friends. I can’t speak to the difficulty of all of them, but the food cluster has not been tough for her at all.

1 Like

So it looks like they don’t offer need based aid to out of state applicants? Are most of staters full pays?

You are correct that the UC’s offer no need based aid to OOS students and little to no merit aid unless you are a top applicant. OOS students should expect to pay full fees.

TFT Musical Theater question

Can anyone tell me the number of students in the tft program (specifically musical theater) I’m receiving conflicting info. Thank you!!!

Oh that’s interesting—my son has liked his this year — Evolution. At least one of the professors in the rotation has been top-notch, and this actually seems to be one of his more manageable courses.

Congrats to all the nw Bruins! One word of advice, mark down the date of the New Student Orientation sign up and log in and sign up for an Orientation session THAT DAY! The sessions do fill up. My son mixed up the new freshman sign up date and the transfer student sign up date and he was lucky to get one of the very last spots in the last session. Don’t worry if you get an orientation session later in the summer or even September. They reserve spots in many of the GE classes and release them each Orientation session so you will have choices no matter which session you sign up for. Also, if you don’t do an orientation session you still will get classes, it may just not be the ones you really want.

3 Likes