UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

Pre-Chemistry for UCSB and Biochemistry I think for UCLA

1 Like

Great majors, especially Biochemistry.

Well, this all makes me feel a bit better since S22 has demonstrated leadership in other ways and certainly fits that long list of personal qualities…although, I can’t imagine that most of the other UCLA applicants don’t also have those qualities. I don’t even know why I worry about these things when really, there is nothing to be done now except to await our fate!

9 Likes

Curious why UCLA continues to send out marketing material to applicants, 1)as if they are trying to recruit more applicants and 2)90% + of the receivers will not be attending UCLA.

2 Likes

I think they’re trying to up their yield, not get more applicants. It just might work with my kid - the Viewbook is beautiful and impressive!

I hear you. I was being a little tongue and cheek with my post. It is a nice book.

1 Like

The last email contains a bunch of links (Explore academics, See view book, etc.). These links are not to static pages. They have a code to track the click and then redirected to the static page. So, we are being tracked for each click. They may consider demonstrated interested as well.

6 Likes

UC’s do not consider applicants level of interest in their admission decisions. Check the CDS to confirm my statement. That said, I agree that they are using these emails to help up their yield which was 44% last year.

2 Likes

UCs do not care about demonstrated interest.

2 Likes

I also agree that they are trying to improve their yield.

Just thinking on how they can use the tracking information for. Another explanation for tracking the clicks is for AB testing of their messaging. They may send different version of the same email to see which one performs better and gets a click. The more interest an applicant shows, the higher the yield may be.

You can only manage what you can measure. :wink:

2 Likes

We got a marketing letter from Gary Clark himself.

1 Like

I got a very nice letter in the mail during the summer congratulating me and specifically asking me to apply to the UCs. I don’t know if it was tied to ELC 9% or my PSAT or what, but it was very persuasive. I now know it was a marketing letter, but it did make me feel special. Lol.

7 Likes

This is the point in the application process when the tables begin to turn. The schools determine that they want you and now you have to decide which school you will attend.

Schools like UCLA know that their applicants have likely already been admitted to other colleges. Applicants are attending open houses and are sometimes being offered financial packages that bring the cost of another school close to that of a UC.

Since UCLA admissions decisions are still a couple of months away, these emails are simply reminders of why you chose to apply to UCLA and to provide additional information and resources that you might not have looked at prior to submitting your application.

14 Likes

4 posts were split to a new thread: Cal Grant Question?

My daughter got it also!!

1 Like

@Gumbymom Do you know the percentage of how many people who got the original invite in January for the alumni scholarship end up getting in? I’ve seen numbers all over the place, but it seems that most say around 60-80% of the people who get invited get accepted as well. However, it seems that the majority agree it’s at least above 50%. Thoughts?

No, I do not have any numbers and last year they increased the invite pool so it is hard to even guesstimate. Just know that the Alumni scholarship invitees are accomplished students and should be proud to have been nominated regardless of the outcome.

8 Likes

Do you think it’s a good sign for the other UCs since UCLA probably has the hardest criteria to meet for admission compared to the other UCs?

1 Like

You cannot infer anything about admissions to other UC campuses including UCLA by getting the Alumni scholarship invite.

Several factors and variables can influence selection. What is most important to know is that selection looks different at every campus!

• Selection can even look different from year to year for the same campus.

• Things like enrollment capacity (campus size impacts how many students can enroll) and enrollment targets for each campus are factored into selection.

• Campuses use multiple factors when selecting students and the way campuses select students varies.

• It is to the student’s advantage to include as much information as possible on the application.

• Every student is considered in the context of their own environment which includes, but is not limited to, school, family and geographic region.

• Students are also considered within the context of the applicant pool for each campus.

• Each campus will complete their own individual review of the application independently of one another, which means that they’re going to review the information in the application and select students without asking what the other campuses have decided.

• Each campus selects students independently.

6 Likes

Sure its a good sign to receive that invite but as @Gumbymom mentioned, I agree its difficult to infer anything further. My daughter last year received the alumni scholarship invite, and was waitlist/accepted to UCLA, but her other UC results were not great. In-state competitive SoCal HS with 3.92/4.25/4.75 15 AP/DE classes, heavy focus on rigor/STEM. Some of these schools supposedly have secondary major consideration, but looks like it didnt help.

UCB (L&S CS) - Rejected
UCSB (CS) - Rejected
UCD (CS) - Waitlist/Rejected
UCI (CS) - Accepted undeclared
UCSD (CS) - Accepted undeclared
UCR (CS) - Accepted

6 Likes