UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

How about # UCLA WL?

1 Like

Waitlists can receive acceptances as late as like August

My son was accepted and today received an email asking for a copy of 1040. Does anyone know if it’s for scholarship considerations or what?

Do any current ucla parents know when state funding like the middle class scholarship will hit the award letter? Or is it included in the item called ucla university grant?

The Middle Class scholarship amounts are awarded in August.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks. Gumbymom

I’m a bit confused about Bruin Bound this Saturday. I was under the impression it’s on campus not virtual. But this morning i looked at website trying to see what are the highlights to hit. And it seems to say that the booths are virtual via zoom conversations. We’re planning on driving out on Saturday, hoping that there is in fact live in person information and presentations.

1 Like

Hi there – Hoping this explanation may help a little bit. The note below was written by Ron Yee who is President of the Parent & Families Association. What he is describing is what Bruin Day used to be, but now it’s become mainly virtual (due to COVID and the fact that I think they realized that keeping a lot of it online makes it more accessible to more people). From what I’m reading on the current Parents FB page, there are going to be in-person tours offered and maybe there will be some tents or something, but the vast majority of the “events” are virtual. That’s how it was last year. My son was able to log into sessions to, for example, learn from current members of the marching band what it is like to be in band, how to audition, etc. I am fairly certain that there will be people on campus and milling about, but if you are hoping for lots of in person sessions/lectures, etc. I don’t think you’ll find that. I do know that the tours are happening and open to accepted students to sign up. Anyway, here’s what Ron Yee posted about Bruin Day, past and present:

“Bruin Day - I have read comments from parents wondering about the day. On this day students who have been offered admission can reaffirm their commitment if they had already decided to come. For those who still needed to decide, they could get a glimpse of what UCLA offers. Chancellor Block would greet prospective students and their families in Pauley Pavilion. The marching band would play traditional UCLA songs. Lectures from select professors were offered on a variety of topics. Booths were set up for various campus services like financial aid, study abroad, Bruin resource center, tutoring. Families could tour the Wooden Center, Mo Ostin basketball practice facility, Wasserman football practice facility, the Hill to see a typical dorm room. On this day students who decided to attend UCLA could SIR (complete the Statement of Intent to Register), pay the deposit, and have photos taken of the big occasion. If UCLA had the victory bell (meaning we’d beaten USC in the previous football game), student could ring the bell to declare their intent. Families could also stock up on UCLA Bear Wear.
What UCLA has done the last couple years is used video recordings to simulate the events as best as possible. Obviously virtual Bruin Day is not as effective as in person, but it’s better than making a completely blind decision. For those who couldn’t make the trip anyway, the virtual setting could be handy.”

Thank you for the information. Wish they would have posted this a bit sooner. Might have changed our spring break plans last week.

I’m kinda disappointed to hear the majority of events are still online. You’d think there could be equal assess both online for those that can’t or choose not to come. But many families prefer the in-person events, and times aren’t the same as last year. We’ll go in person and hope there’s just as much info as the virtual sessions. I think the Chancellors message and professor lecture sessions were pretty interesting.

Luckily i do believe Cal’s admitted students day is mostly back to normal. And he’ll get to experience it there later this month. Hes got a hard choice to make before May 1st.

Can’t go wrong either way! I live in Berkeley – can attest that Cal is wonderful. My son is having an absolute blast as a first-year at UCLA. The main thing you need to get from visits that I think you’ll pick up with or without any sessions at all is the campus vibe. Definitely a little different. Hopefully one appeals over the other so the choice is easy! Other than that, if housing is a concern at all, there’s no comparison – UCLA by far better than Cal. Good luck as you make your visits! If you see the marching band, look for my kiddo. :slight_smile:

We attended Bruin Day this past Saturday. Lots of people there in person. Tours for families were great. Booths for financial aid, admissions, and housing (with a mock set up of dorm room), and photobooth. 20% off in the bookstore with your email confirmation of Bruin Day registration. We ate in the student union and walked to The Hill. Couldn’t go inside of dorms. Highly recommend attending in person. You will enjoy the day!

5 Likes

Oh that’s fun! None of that was available last year, I don’t think. For those who are remote and can’t visit, there are so many great dorm room tours on YouTube. Glad to hear you got a good sense. There are also so many sporting events going on all the time – visitors should check out the schedule and maybe go see a baseball or softball game, etc.

Yes. I would recommend the in person tour as well to get the real feel of what it is like to be in the campus. Although dorm tours aren’t a thing, they have a close to real life model of a typical triple room in the tented area in Wilson Plaza area where the tours start (and financial aid/admissions/housing staff are around).

2 Likes

Hi, the tours filled up so quickly, so do you know if we can just tag along a tour without registering? Thanks!

I was on on campus this past weekend and participated in the tour. They go out every 30 minutes or so and there really was no need to register. You can simply walk up to the waiting area in Wilson Plaza and join. Good luck!

1 Like

We were there on Saturday and they don’t know who is there and who isn’t - you don’t have to sign in or anything… they just group people into tour groups as you walk up to Wilson Plaza…They don’t take you to a lot of the places on campus though so you should plan some time to walk there on your own.

3 Likes

Agree! We went to Bruin Day last Saturday and it was so fun. There are tons of people on campus, the bookstore is hopping, the dorms are full. The event is a one hour tour plus a bunch of info booths and cute props for #bruinbound selfies. And you can definitely just show up. We registered but they didn’t check us in so I don’t see why you can’t join in. Go on Friday or Saturday. Sunday is quiet.

3 Likes

Where’s the best place to park on the campus for the tour ?

Parking lot 4

1 Like

Thank you !