UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@Cjhastings322 So sorry to hear that. I hope your circumstances improve soon.

We should have a discord where we just scream for 24 hours

Lol, yeah LA traffic is satan himself- that’s definitely a con!

@cowboysfan2001 I’ll talk about USC because most of the comments have been about UCLA. USC may be in a “bad” neighborhood but the school definitely has security everywhere. Walking in blocks of the school there is at least one security guard on each street so it’s not as bad as its made up to be. USC is also quite gorgeous and has the same name recognition as UCLA. If anything, it may seem more prestigious because its a private and way more expensive, which may also be a downside unless cost isn’t an issue. I’ve heard that the competition is much more fierce at USC and UCLA is more collaborative by comparison, but that’s just second-hand info. And I will say that UCLA is in one of the wealthiest areas of LA so the surroundings are more fun, beautiful, and just as expensive. USC may not be in a wealthy neighborhood, but you can definitely drive to those areas and if you time it right, you’ll be in Santa Monica and Westwood in 20 minutes. Hope this helps!

@lordhelpus believe it or not, I find USC’s neighborhood as a upgrade to my neighborhood. As a L.A native, specifically East L.A, my neighborhood is consistent on robberies and domestic shootings (has diminished over the time, but still apparent). USC’s might not have the prettiest location to the South and East side, especially after 38th St and Alvarado St respectively, but you’re literally feet away from the Expo Line train line that takes you to Downtown L.A and to the beach. Also, keep in mind that the south and east sides are primarily low-income Hispanic communities, and crime isn’t really a major, major issue in those communities as they used to be (I have family living in those areas, so I have personal experience with those areas). You also have the California Science Center and Rose Garden right on the other side of Exposition Blvd, where I went (damn virus) very frequently. With both USC and UCLA at the forefront of my college list, I’d give the slight edge to USC as I enjoy the more urban setting and the potential connections that can be made. Either way, you can’t go wrong with either one in terms of prestige and academics.

I have no expectations of getting in so I’m not nervous at all lol

Pleas

Same. I was notified last week that I was admitted early to Cornell.They were going to pay for to me visit in April now that’s cancelled. How am I suppose to make a choice on a campus I’ve never set foot on? I hope I get into UCLA tomorrow so it will make me possibly turning down Cornell easier.

@CarBarlos I live in LA too! Chrenshaw specifically so yeah the USC area is definitely getting much better than before. However, most people prefer the beachy, palm trees vision that they have of LA when they come from outside of CA. But you’re definitely right, you can’t go wrong with either of these schools!

@hsparent13 I’m in the same position as you with the same schools lol

Not sure about UCLA, but my son got into UC Berkeley, early admission decision and invite to interview for the Regents Scholarship, and then got wait-listed at UCSB… who knows! But he’s hoping for UCLA!

Decision Day! Super excited and super nervous. Good luck everyone!

Good Luck Everyone :slight_smile:

Do they come out 5 pm est or 5 pm pst

5 PM PST

@cowboysfan2001 on the subject of UCLA vs USC. I’m an OOS applicant but visited both. I took an actual tour at USC and a self-guided one at UCLA.

Both campuses are beautiful. UCLA’s campus is very big though. USC’s felt more intimate in comparison. UCLA is in a much nicer area of LA. My cousin lives in LA, and he basically said it’d be dangerous as a young girl to go to USC. However, I know someone going to USC, and she hasn’t had any issues. Personally, USC’s campus didn’t feel dangerous.

In terms of tuition, UCLA is cheaper for in-state. Private institutions tend to give more money though. USC would probably be cheaper or comparable if you’re OOS.

UCLA is ranked better overall. I don’t know about specific majors. Where I’m from USC is known as a school for rich kids. The admissions scandal only made that opinion worse. Both are good schools. USC’s alumni tend to help out students.

I’m obviously biased toward USC. I think which is better is more of a personal opinion. They each have pros and cons. In my case, USC is cheaper and has a better program for my major. It all depends. When I got to USC, I thought I’d hate it because of other’s opinions. So you should probably take everyone’s opinions with a grain of salt.

@pjdavis97 that’s literally what happened to my cousin last year, except that instead of getting waitlisted at Santa Barbara, he got flat-out rejected.

And I hope that this sheds some light on those that are worried about UCLA or UCB because of getting rejected or waitlisted at other UC’s. Everything is unpredictable in the college admissions, you could be a great match at one school but not at another. Sure, those chances might diminish a bit, but the truth is that nothing is impossible.

Good luck everyone!

Unfortunately that’s how low-income students feel. I didn’t tour any college I applied to (I’d never heard of a fly-in program until after I matriculated and with this knowledge my sibling was able to tour some). I committed to Columbia without ever visiting NYC or knowing any current students. If you thoroughly research a school (virtual tour, curriculum, course catalog, student clubs, traditions, profs, current students, research opportunities, dining halls, residence options, available internships etc), it shouldn’t matter if you visited. Visits can be deceiving, as you’re only there for a weekend/couple hours and that’s no indication of what it’s actually like to be a student there.

Thanks for your advice. I was able to get in contact with a current student I went to elementary school/junior high with that’s in their 4th year at Cornell this morning. They were really able to answer a lot of questions. I’ve been looking at what I can find online so hopefully I can make the best decision. Thanks again.

Does UCLA track demonstrated interest for OOS students?? I’m from NJ but I visited and did a tour/info session, attended a UC admissions presentation at my school, and attended a local UCLA info session with two admissions officers.

@mkp326 Ucla does not track demonstrated interest. But thanks for coming on the tour! Hope you enjoyed your campus tour visit at ucla.