UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@cowboysfan2001 The honest answer is both schools are for the most part the same. Ucla just raised $5B and has an endowment comparable to USC. Campus cultures are fairly similar as well. Both have stellar academics. You can’t go wrong with either. Ucla is a lot cheaper though. Lmk if you have more specific questions.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

I know we are assuming that decisions release tomorrow afternoon. Do we know what time to expect them? Which time zone are we talking about?

@cowboysfan2001 we’re expecting them at 5 pm PST (:

I’m literally SO nervous. I really hope I get in and I wish luck to all of you!!

estoy nervioso

Estoy deprimida

Estoy preocupada. ¡Buena suerte a todos!

@furniture I know Texas Christian pushed back to June 1st to make the enrollment deposit.

On the UVA Regular Decision thread, Dean J said they, as well as most every college across the US, are looking at extending the decision day to June 1st. But, she also said that they aren’t sure how much that would do since things won’t change much in just one month. Schools are currently exploring their options in terms of connecting with students virtually.

It only helps if a bunch of schools push the decision day back. If only a couple schools do it, it does nothing.

For me, I’m lucky because I’ve seen almost every school I’ve applied to at least once. I was still counting on the admitted students days to help me with my decision. I feel HORRIBLE for students who were hoping to tour schools now and decide. It makes the process significantly harder and I know that virtual tours aren’t always the best depiction of a school.

Class of 2020 really got unlucky. We came into the world immediately post 9/11 and are leaving our childhood during a pandemic. We worked our butts off all of first semester on college applications and in school just for second semester to be taken away from us. That’s the only fun part of senior year! Senior trips, prom, graduation, decision day, etc.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if the Fall 2020 semester got pushed back or something because of this.

Hope everyone is healthy and safe!

Well I’m not nervous because I’m going to get rejected with my stellar 1210 sat … besides I was already denied by Davis SD and SB

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Can’t wait to hear if we all made it in or not! And (I’m telling myself this too) if we don’t make it in, don’t worry! It’s all meant to happen how it happens.

Why does everyone think its tmr? Has it been confirmed yet?

I understand there may not be a correlation to the UCLA Alumni scholarship and admission, but what about a UCLA Reagent Scholar Invite because you needed a code to apply for the scholarship.

@cowboysfan2001
Ikr. I was planning on touring colleges this month since I haven’t been able to see the majority of ones I applied to yet. Pushing the decision deadline back would help, but there is still so much that class of 2020 has had taken away from us. The financial impact on my family has been incredibly stressful as I’m sure it has been for others, and it feels like I can only half celebrate the acceptances I’ve received so far. Just a bummer all around…

I keep reading about supplemental questions some people had to complete. This is different than the Alumni Scholarship app, correct? My daughter has great stats and was not asked to complete the supplemental questions. What does this mean?

Regent’s Invite = Acceptance since Regent’s is only offered to the top 1% in any UC school accordingly to a UCSB Chanceller’s reception I attended.

Great, thank you!

TOOMORROWWW! Anyone applied to DMA or arts and want to link portfolios or instas for fun?

Correct, the supplemental questions are different from the scholarship application. The supplemental questions they would send you if they have further questions about your piq’s for example. If your daughter didn’t have to answer some supplemental questions, it’s not necessarily a good or bad thing. It just means they didn’t have questions about her application.

I know everyone is super nervous right now. I have felt a knot in my stomach for the last week knowing about decisions being released tomorrow. The fact is that it is so far beyond us in the decision we receive and so much more goes into it than we can control. UCLA is one of the most competitive schools in the world and it isn’t a reflection of us if we don’t get in.

My advice to you all is to level set your expectations tonight and tomorrow. Realize that the odds are you won’t get in, so you aren’t crushed if things don’t go your way. Hopefully you all have options you’re excited about now. Continue getting excited about those. Everyone keeps telling me I’ll be happy wherever I go and I’ll end up exactly where I’m supposed to be. It’s annoying hearing everyone say that but it’s true. We will all end up where we’re meant to be.

Also, if it makes you feel better, focus on the cons of UCLA right now so you don’t psych yourself out. All I’m thinking about right now is the OOS tuition, being super far from home, missing out on seasons and snow days, and the LA traffic.

It’s all about the person at the end of the day. Whether you go to Harvard or community college, what comes of your life is up to you.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow everyone and try to sleep well!