UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@wire2020 Engineers at ucla are guranteed our technical classes. If it fills use what’s called an ECR which is a form to request openings/enrollment. This is so we can stick to the four year plan for the major. Ucsd is a great engineering school but I think ucla has a more collaborative culture and the on campus recruiting is slightly better. I chose ucla over ucsd for electrical. Can’t speak for ucsd but getting research at ucla is as simple as emailing a prof to meet over their research. If it’s a good fit then it’s easy to jump into. What really sets ucla Engineering apart is the resources and personal attention. There was a student that emailed one of the many engineering counselors about what they should take next quarter. When the student showed up for the appointment not only did the counselor pre select ideal classes for the student, he also created a custom 4 year schedule for her before she even showed up. There’s numerous other stories just like that.

Thank you. I wish I could visit the schools. I am looking forward to participate in DIscover UCLA Engineering

@wire2020 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I could also connect you with one of the Engineering Ambassadors that is a Cs major.

Does anyone know how hard its to switch to Economics major if one is admitted as a Life Science (Undeclared)? Also, can one take CS as a minor if one is a Econ major? Again, how difficult is that to get permission?

@redwag There is no CS minor at UCLA. Here is a list of all minors at UCLA:
https://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/Majors/minor.htm

Here is the information on Economics. Since you are undeclared in College of Letters and Science, it is not that difficult to switch to Econ major. You first declare it as a Pre-major and then in time as a major.

https://economics.ucla.edu/undergraduate/current-students/faq/

Thank you

@10s4life, my son is trying to decide between UCI CS with Regents and chp and UCLA CS. We have not visited either schools and having difficult time deciding. Could you please give us pros and cons of UCLA CS. Really appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Wow, UCLA awards up to 75 Regents scholarships each year to entering freshmen and transfer students. That’s so few vs UCB and prob other UC’s

@camom2024 sending you a PM

Does anyone know any up to date information about the UCLA Alumni Scholarship notification date? My twins were accepted to UCLA (one for Theater, the other for Political Science) and both were invited to apply for the scholarship. Thank you :slight_smile:

@camom2024 can you let me know what UCI regents offers the students? great job getting that

@kimbyojai I hear this or next week

@10s4life Thank you! Very helpful.

@ nomorecoll96,
My son received 2 scholarships for a total of $ 26,000. $5,000 for 4 years for Regents’Scholarship and $3,000 Deans’ Scholarship for 2 years. In addition Regents get guaranteed access to on-campus housing during four-year tenure as a scholar; and priority registration for course enrollment each academic quarter.

Does anybody have links to any threads where I can get some input from well-informed users to help me make a decision?

@my2boyz71 You can always scroll to the top, click the UCLA link at the top of the page to see other ucla threads. I pinned the 2023 one up there that has twice the number of posts and it could be helpful. Otherwise there’s tons of users here that have ties to ucla and can prob help. I’d be happy to answer any of your questions. @Gumbymom is considered an expert on CC for the entire UC system. @pickledginger @gzza73 @lkg4answers all have Bruin kids and can prob help as well. @alicantekid is very knowledgable on ucla too and can offer some great advice for ya.

@10s4life I am in the same boat: i was admitted to UCSD in computer science and received a regents scholarship, and I also got into UCLA for computer science. I am concerned about the following: 1) if i don’t have regents at UCLA, will it be difficult for me to get the classes I want? 2) how easy is it to get research opportunities at UCLA? is it truly as easy as sending an email? (for reference, i’ve heard that UCSD guarantees its regents scholars research opportunities starting from the first quarter)

On a side note, I do not have a lot of experience in comp sci, so how difficult will it be for me to get good grades? I definitely plan on working really hard, and i pick up concepts easily, but is this enough?

@camom2024 My son also received UC Irvine’s Regents and Dean’s scholarship (early acceptance in their Honors College) and was accepted into UCLA (invited for Regents but not awarded Regents). We never thought UCI was in play until now. $8,000 per year merit scholarship (we will not receive any need-based financial aid at any school), honors college, research opportunities. UCI’s offer is very intriguing and we will have to seriously consider both offers. UCLA is ranked higher, but what will be the actual experience given the special considerations and aid offered by UCI? It may depend on the major. My son is majoring in Classics/Philosophy. He is waiting on more decisions this week - the big ones are being released this week. It’s all a balancing act - is the tuition worth it given the reputation, special considerations, attention, and value of curriculum, teaching, and performance beyond the undergraduate experience. UCI’s generous merit offer and special considerations are making us look at them seriously. This is coming from two UCLA graduate school alum parents- Law School and Medical School at UCLA.

@eng123 Congrats on your admission!

1. If you don’t have regents you’ll Def be able to get your classes. Engineers are guranteed their classes through the ECR system if it’s needed to graduate.
  2. Research opportunities are easy to get especially for cs since most cs students are more industry rather than research oriented to begin with.
  3. You don’t need a background in cs to do alright. They offer two levels to start at depending on your background and you graduate on time with either. I had zero computing background from HS and fell into the technologically challenged group of society before coming to ucla and managed to do ok. Put in the work and it’ll be just fine :slight_smile:

Sorry a little bit late, Son accepted to pre-economics, OOS, ACT 36, GPA 4.6, various activities including sports, community service and reasonable payed internship. Has been rejected by UPenn(ED), and Notre Dame, accepted to UCI Honor with 10K scholarship per year for 4 years, UCSD, Northeastern Honor with 27K scholarship per year for 4 years, BU,BC, UW-Madision, Indiana University of Bloomington Kelly School of Business and Penn State. Waiting for some other decisions come out this week, UCLA is his best choice so far.