UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

@CPL_645 . . . You were accepted to the premajor in L&S. To switch over to CS would be a heavy task because it’s in the E school.

However, UCLA does have CS majors and minors and a specialty outside of E. There’s Mathematics of Computation and I’m sure you could double in Econ, maybe Bus Econ, and hopefully you’d have some APs available to cut through some prereqs; or you can major in Econ or Bus Econ and take the Specialization in Computing, with the following coursework in the Program in Computing:

https://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/pic-course-descriptions

Here’s a link to the Undergraduate Business Society:

https://www.uclaubsbruins.com/ (edited)

with some students gravitating to Math-type majors. Stats has computer courses also, and there’s a new major called Data Theory (“DT”). DT is like Data Science but with some theory, and is housed I believe in the Math department; it’d be like Computer Science would be to the PIC courses, with CS having some theory, but PIC mainly jumping right into programming.

@2bigkids. . . I don’t think that it’d not be doable for an OOS student to graduate in four years or less; they have really high grades and probably come into UCLA with a lot of AP credits. The thing though is they want to go to college in CA and possibly get away from the more harsh weather conditions, from say, the east coast. So they probably want to spend four years at UCLA, even if they could graduate earlier. But four years is not only doable, it’s typical with the four year or less rate being ~ 80%.

Is it possible to take minor in Business for student accepted for CS major?

@siclocusest . . . I’m not the answer man by any means, so maybe @10s4life can help you more definitively, but I would think that CS is prereq and upper-division heavy. Besides, UCLA doesn’t have a “Business” minor, but it has Entrepreneurship and Accounting minors. You can take management courses which Anderson School of Management offers to undergrads, but to minor in it, would be beyond my knowing, and I’m sure you’d have to sit down and go through the progressions class by class and add up the units.

@firmament2x I agree. Graduating in 4 years is very doable.

@Heyryan227 . . . I’m thinking that concurrent enrollment of community college and high school might be the best way to go because a student would be able to go deeper into his/her eventual major, and this would hold especially for those whose public high schools don’t have a lot of AP.

Your son is undoubtedly incredibly bright and motivated!

Edit:

And yes, UC is not about collecting money by making the student repeat courses; it’s trying to enable students to graduate early or to get them credits in breadth courses so they can take more courses in their concentration.

You don’t necessarily need to be an Econ major to do management consulting. I’ve got some engineering friends doing that from ucla and I interviewed with a hedge fund over the fall as a EE. But if you want to switch into CS from L&S it’s pretty difficult. You’ll need to not only meet the gpa req and 2 engr courses per quarter but also get certain grades in Cs31-33 which occur in a sequence that goes from fall-spring. So the earliest you can switch would be fall of sophomore year. As far as getting “business type” courses as an engineer every engineer declares a technical breadth as a part of their degree. There’s a ton of options. Tech management is one of them and allows you to take some anderson classes. It’s pretty popular with engineering students. You can always take some of the basic coding classes in the PIC series as a L&S major.

@2bigkids…I suspect that it would be UCSD (I assume the cost would be relatively the same as UCLA). If he went to ASU, it would cost around $100K in total and may be less since with all the APs he is probably going to have second year standing.

It makes me a bit sad that the easy access to school loans is allowing tuitions and costs to rise unchecked and kids end up straddled with debt that change the trajectory of their futures.

If you’re only doing 1 major, you should have no problem graduating in 4 years as long as you don’t keep changing your major or fail a bunch of classes. North Campus majors can take 3 classes a quarter for the majority of their time and finish.

If you’re something like Engineering, you can still finish in 4 most of the time (I think about 2/3 of the students finish in 4, and the other 1/3 are often people who are doing minors, double majors, or had their graduation delayed by study abroad).

@10s4life . . . also, doesn’t UCLA E require that the student take courses in other E majors besides his/her own or is that the “technical breadth”? What are the capstones like, which every E major will eventually take?

@firmament2x Thats only if the declare that field as their tech breadth. The capstone courses are design courses we take senior year. Some are very practical and project based. Others are more theoretical and research oriented. Mine was the latter. They’re a two quarter sequence.

@10s4life . . . excellent thanks. I’ll pass the technical breadth for E students through Anderson on to others.

I am trying to figure out UCLA versus UCB for Life Science or Economics. Any thoughts?

does anyone know when they notify for the alumni scholarship? I was invited and submitted the application – it was due march 10. this would definitely affect my decision so I was wondering if anyone has more information!

@redwag shoot me a pm. Lmk which majors you want for each school. Remember both admit you to a premajor only so you’ll have to get into the major in each school once you finish pre reqs.

@megwrightmill see this post on the previous page: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22670615/#Comment_22670615

Does UCLA send an acceptance package to all students who were admitted? Even international?

Yes, all colleges sends out regular mail acceptance packages.

The initial plan was to notify students this week.

Trying to decide between UCSD and UCLA for computer engineering. I got into ucsd with regents scholarship and ucla with no scholarship. The regents gives some good benefits such as priority enrollment, research., etc. . How hard is to get the classes you want at UCLA engineering? How about research opportunities? I appreciate your advice