UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Just received an email inviting me to apply for PEERS. Does anyone have any information on this program. Is is competitive/ is it worth it to join?

I received the email as well. I’m wondering if it’s worth it and how many they select.

@hsparent13 I think I might as well apply. I’m not committed to UCLA yet but I’m leaning towards it and I don’t think there’s any commitment to stay in the program once you’re there if it’s not what your expected

UC Admissions just made the following announcements:

UC has temporarily suspended the letter grade requirement for A-G courses completed in spring 2020 for all students, including UC’s most recently admitted freshmen. A-G courses completed in spring 2020 with Pass (P) or Credit (CR) grades will satisfy appropriate A-G requirements.

Regarding AP Exams: UC recognizes the effort that students have already made in these challenging courses and will continue to award UC credit consistent with previous years for 2020 AP exams completed with scores of 3, 4, or 5.

Regarding Fall 2021 Applicants: The University recognizes the challenges that students are facing due to the COVID-19 pandemic and, in response, UC is suspending the standardized test requirement for students applying for fall 2021 freshman admission.

(There’s more if you go to the website - link here below)

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/response-covid-19.html

Did anyone call UCLA financial aid counselors? How helpful are they before accepting to help make financial decision?

Here is the link to Discover Engineering! Check out some of the videos and register for the interactive events, see you all on Sunday!
https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/discover/

So far, no communication from UCLA about the alumni scholarship application outcomes. Is that typical for others or not?

@Rozzienc,
My older son is a junior at Cal and my middle son is planning on going to Ucla this fall. Both great schools! Because this is a Ucla site of course everyone loves Ucla! We live not too far from LA so have been there many times for different sport and cultural events. The campus is very pretty and very green and it’s true, the students seem happy. The weather in LA is nice, kinda too hot imo in September and October but glorious most of the other months. So onto Berkeley. My son adores it. He feels like the weather is fantastic, doesn’t rain nearly as much as everyone told him and when the sun is out, everyone is on the Glade, hanging out and playing frisbee. There is a work hard/play hard mentality that he loves . Everyone takes their work seriously but then takes their play seriously too. Everyone walks, everyone says hi and everyone seems to be happy too. The football games are so fun because you can walk to the stadium, and everyone does. The student section is full! At Ucla you have to take a bus to the offsite stadium (seriously a reason my son almost didn’t commit to Ucla lol!) He has met amazing people from all over the world and has always gotten the classes he needs, with good, personal advising. I will say though, my younger son sees how hard Cal is and how hard his brother works and was leery of following in his footsteps there. Maybe Ucla is like that too, I guess he’ll find out soon enough. The Bay area is a gorgeous city…it really is too hard to pick one over the other. Good luck, and you can’t go wrong!

I was wondering the same. I’ve heard nothing.

My son hasn’t heard, either.

Hi, I am a future UCLA student and I have been getting emails for different UCLA Bruin Webinars… I am interested in attending but I was wondering if anyone knew what that would look like. Would it just be a video of the presentation, do I need to talk, and what program it would be through?? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

@user_459997 For bruin day or discover engineering? For discover it willl be a mix of live presentations (you don’t talk) and live interactions with people so you would need a mic or camera.

@10s4life it was an email from UCLA Bruin Bound that said there would be New Bruin Webinars this upcoming week. Not for engineering.

They had an Instagram live yesterday and it was three students talking about their major and their involvement at UCLA. The questions seemed pretty pre-scripted. A lot of people asked about the Alumni scholarship and the moderator said that he didn’t know about it because it was handled by the Alumni Association.

One thing I found a little annoying was that they asked each student why they chose UCLA. All three said that it was a feeling they got when they attended Bruin Day. Obviously they knew they were talking to students who are not able to attend Bruin Day. It would have been better if they asked the students to describe what they felt at Bruin Day instead of responding, “I realize you can’t visit the campus but, if you did, you would see if it was the right fit for you.”

Hi, so I got into UCLA and I have yet to receive my admissions packet. I live in Southern California so I feel like it should not be taking this long. Anyone else having this problem? I just got my UCB packet which had their admissions released an entire week earlier so I find it odd that I haven’t gotten mine yet.
Maybe it was lost in the mail, lol. Any advice?

@SD20020 it came last week (southern California). Maybe it was delivered to a neighbor by mistake.

@SD20020 My daughter got her packet on Monday of this week and we live in Orange County.

I wholeheartedly agree. I understand that the lives aren’t something UCLA planned for but they seem disorganized and the info from students hosting them is sometimes confusing and wrong. I watched one yesterday on housing and the two students were both contradicting each other while talking about the same subject. I hope the webinars scheduled for next week are better.

@SD20020 I’m in SoCal and I received my UCLA packet on Tuesday.

So the housing application should be completed and possibly forfeit the $30 non refundable fee in order to select your choices with some hopes of getting what you want vs waiting until closer to end of April to make a decision to Accept and submit SIR?

Some people on Reddit say that they got the Alumni Scholarship via email. Can anyone else confirm?