UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Would it be helpful to create a poll and see how many students received the Alumni scholarship email and how many didn’t?

3 Likes

Lets see…
that would be a response bias, an undercoverage, and a voluntary response sampling. No.

5 Likes

Did anyone else get a request for supplemental information in your email?

1 Like

Yes!

There’s a link above to a Reddit poll taken in March 2020 regarding the Alumni Scholarship email and outcomes.

1 Like

This is called a Supplemental Questionnaire or Augmented Review if you would like to Google it. It means the campus was not yet able to make a decision about your admission without more information. You were not an easy “Yes” or “No” to the reviewers without further information. Answer the questions that apply to you, carefully and thoughtfully. This is an opportunity to provide more information about yourself including your first semester grades. Good luck to you all. Roughly 6% of all UC applicants receive this.

1 Like

@teenager146:

Here are the five specific conditions under which an applicant might be selected

for an augmented/supplemental review.

 Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s

time to participate in a broader range of activities.

 Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant

contribution to campus life.

 Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic

achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound

disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual

circumstances.

 Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one

or both of the following: reasons for the initial poor performance; and/or sustained

and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate

the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging

environment.

 Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take

college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International

Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.

TIPS regarding your response

1. Be aware of your tone, stay positive, “Explain” without “Complaining”.
  2. If the supplement says, “Optional” letter of recommendation be sure to include one.
  3. Ask your teacher or counselor in person, if possible, if they would be willing to write. you a great letter of recommendation (if possible, be prepared and bring a copy of your transcript and student brag sheet with you when you ask for a letter of recommendation).
  4. Pay attention to the due date (usually 10 days after you receive it).
  5. Try to be as detailed, accurate and complete as you can about your situation.
5 Likes

Thank you for this information. My son received this request last night. We were pleasantly surprised to receive the email and he will put together the best essay possible. He got sick his sophomore year with a weird ailment that required 3 surgeries. His sophomore year grades, especially second semester, took a nose dive. Grades have been great ever since. He wrote about his diagnosis/disease in one of essays and I am sure they are looking for more info around this. Appreciate all of your advice on here.

2 Likes

My son got an email from the film department last week asking him to resubmit three essays in the required double-spaced format, which required him to rewrite the essays. He was surprised (and embarrassed he hadn’t done it correctly the first time) that they would allow him to do this at this point. I think they gave him two or three days to complete. Do you think this constitutes an augmented/supplemental review? He also took the opportunity to update them on a few things he has been working on since he submitted the application and to express his continuing interest. He also got the request to fill out the alumni scholarship application and is submitting that too. Thanks for your helpful tips about responding and other good advice. What a stressful process this is!

@Sparky232 : It seems that the essays he was asked to rewrite were for the required supplemental application for FTVDM applicants which is specific for UCLA’s Film school. It is not the supplemental/augmented review that the regular applicants receive. It is a good sign that UCLA reached out and let him revise the essays.

Best of luck to him.

Supplemental Application

• Complete the Undergraduate FTVDM Supplemental Application.
    • Must be completed ONLINE by December 10, 2020.
    • A supplemental application fee of $20 will be required.
    • Create an account with Acceptd.
      • Note: This is not the same login used for the UC Application.
    • Complete all required information.
    • Indicate areas of interest within Film.
    • Upload Supplemental Materials
      • Personal Essay (2 page max)
      • Life Challenge Essay (2 page max)
      • Writing Sample
        • Critical Essay (3 page max)
        • or
        • Creative Writing (5 page max)
    • Submit two letters of recommendation.
      • Enter the names and emails of all recommenders into the Undergraduate FTVDM Supplemental Application.
    • Upload unofficial copies of all transcripts.
1 Like

Yes.

Just wanted to check, this alumni scholarship thing and emails received; do international applicants also qualify or have received it.

I haven’t received one

Is anyone aware if they are scheduling any interviews for the UCLA TFT Theater Film & Television school? Has anyone heard anything?

Hi everyone! I applied to UCLA and I don’t really know much about how admission works. I wanted to know if there’s a specific date that decisions come out or if it’s a rolling schedule where decisions come out in “waves”? Does this apply to all UC schools?

My son submitted TFT application and hasn’t heard anything about an interview. I don’t know if they are scheduling or not.

UCLA releases all decisions on the same day which historically has been the 3rd Friday of March.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Not every applicant gets the alumni scholarship email. Whether you apply to it or not it doesn’t affect your admission chances. Those that get “invited” do have a statistically greater chance of getting admitted because there is some sort of screening process that is correlated with getting in.

6 Likes

Agreed March 19th is most likely the day

2 Likes

Are these scholarships open to international applicants as well?

No word, we applied to theatre