UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

My acceptance letter says my major is Pre Political Science? What does this mean? I’ve noticed other’s acceptance letters don’t have the “pre” in front of majors

I read something saying they are planning on it! I really hope they keep their word because that will be a factor in my decision

Prepolitical Science Major

All students intending to major in Political Science must enroll as Prepolitical Science majors. After completion of preparation for the major courses, they need to petition to enter the major in the Undergraduate Office, 4269 Bunche Hall.

Preparation for the Major

Required: Any four lower division courses from Political Science 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. These lower division courses are requisites to some upper division courses. Students must also take one statistics course from Political Science 6, 6R, Statistics 10 or Statistics 12. PS 6 or 6R may be taken for credit and is not considered a repeat of content if another of the listed statistics courses has already been taken.
Students must complete all premajor courses with a 2.0 grade-point average by the time they attain 135 units. Admission to the major is granted only after successful completion of all lower division requirements.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response! You’ve been incredibly helpful!

1 Like

This was posted in another thread about schools opening in fall. UCLA town hall. At around the 50 minute mark, they speculate that classes with more than 60 people will likely be remote. This probably has to do with the number of seats available in large lecture halls and the requirements for social distancing. CDC guidance may change by the fall so we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Yes, it was very easy for him to change majors. Given the fact that UCLA’s College of Letters and Science does not even consider major when accepting students, the expectation is that students will shift majors as they go, so it allows for flexibility.

Of course, the later you shift a major, the more you may get “behind” in fulfilling your prerequisites if the major is very different (e.g. from English to Chemistry).

My son’s shift from Atmospheric and Oceanic Science (AOS) to Environmental Science (ES) was after his first quarter. Even though both of these majors are STEM majors, the prerequisites are slightly different. For example, for AOS, students need to take 6 quarters of calculus (31A,31B,32A,32B,33A,33B) and 3 quarters of “engineering level” physics (1A,1B,1C). Whereas for ES, students need to take two quarters of calculus (31A,31B) and 2 quarters of “life science” (easier) physics (5A,5B). Although he did well in Calculus BC in high school and passed out of 31A & 31B with a 5, when he took 32A he struggled and realized that 3 more quarters of math would probably not be his thing. So he switched over to ES because he’s always had a knack for that as well, and he’s current carrying a 3.75 GPA as a sophomore. So ES has proved to be a much better fit for him.

Sorry, long answer to your question, but I just think specifics help to give some context. So if you decide to switch majors, you can have the freedom to do so at UCLA.

2 Likes

In your experience, is IOES more undergrad focused than AOS? My child was looking at the Climate Science major at UCLA and it didn’t seem as developed as IOES. This program plan and the ability to do a minor/concentration in either AOS or the COE is what led her to apply to IOES. She ended up attending another school but I’m curious what your son’s experience has been.

How hard is it to switch majors from L and S to engineering? Is it possible to do this before fall quarter?

1 Like

Son accepted to College of Letters and Science for BS in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics.

4.32 W and 3.99 UW (Weighted GPA is technically a 4.6 but complicated and lowered by an international transfer).

Freshman/Sophomore years International= 4.59 W
Junior Year USA= 4.56 W
Senior Year USA = 5.0 W

Top 1% of HS Class

Lots of ECs: 2 varsity sports, independent bio research, hospital volunteering, Model UN, Physics team, HS Tutor, NHS, Co-founder of diversity organization, Salvation Army and others.

Full IB Diploma candidate and Bilingual IB Diploma candidate
19 AP/IB classes

Congrats to all admitted (and waitlisted)!!! It said they had 139,000 applications this year— with the HIGHEST applicant pool in the US (and admissions up 25% this year). WELL DONE SENIORS!!!

Hi. My son got into UCLA CS and was wondering if we could talk with some CS engineering ambassadors. Thank you.

My daughter got into UCLA College of Letters and Science pre-major on Computational system biology, OOS. Anyone got into the same major? Would like to talk about the potential path for pre-med track for future med school application.

hi! this was super helpful, thank you so much :relaxed:

1 Like

You cannot change majors prior to Fall quarter. You have to take pre-req courses before applying to a change of major for Engineering. It is extremely competitive and there are no guarantees that you will be able to change. Why did you not apply as a Freshman applicant?

Here is the information and the link.

I am non-engineering student and am interested in changing my major to an HSSEAS major
HSSEAS Majors: Aerospace Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering. (Students may not apply to change majors to Undeclared Engineering).

-Due to the competitiveness of admissions, students admitted to UCLA as junior level transfers to a major outside of HSSEAS (e.g. Math) are not eligible for change of major or double major consideration with a HSSEAS major.
-Freshman admit students entering their third year or later are not eligible to apply for a change of major.
-Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee approval.
-Students will NOT be approved more than one change of major to a HSSEAS major. Students are encouraged to research the various engineering disciplines thoroughly before filing for change of major.
-You may attend a change of major workshop if you have questions or would like some recommendations on alternate major options on campus.

https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ls-to-engineering/

Sorry, my son was only in AOS for one quarter, so I don’t have as much knowledge of that program to make a good comparison. I don’t know too much about the Climate Science major either, but it sounds like a newer major overall at UCLA so it’s no wonder that it might not seem as developed as Environmental Science.

What has been nice about ES (as can be seen in the program plan you linked to) is that as part of the major, students are required to declare a minor since the ES field is so broad. My son is finishing up his prerequisites in the next few months and will be declaring a minor in Conservation Biology (taking more classes in the Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology). He’s always been interested in plants, trees, forests, etc. and will be taking a Plant Physiology class in the summer, and will hopefully be able to take classes in soil conservation, forest ecosystems, etc. as part of exploring his minor. So I think the broad major of ES allows students to take various classes in the field and discover a minor that appeals to them, which might lead to further grad school studies in that field. I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

I did not apply because I like the chem/materials science BS I was admitted for more! This is just something I was interested in potentially exploring. Thank you for all of the information.

No problem, just curious.

Still is for ours!!!

D was admitted to College of L&S, neuroscience major. Congrats to all who were admitted! Does anyone happen to know if there is a FB group for UCLA parents?