UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Got it, thank you!

If you are receiving need based aid and choose to live at home then your estimated cost of attendance will change and the aid will likely decrease. UCLA 2020-21 Cost of Attendance

2 Likes

D21 accepted to UCLA - has been to LA but has not visited campus. Is campus open for admitted student visits?

They have a self paced campus tour pdf on their website so we’re going for it!

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

Is this for quarters or semester grades? Because my quarter grades are perfect but they factor in the midterm to the semester average. Also when would I need to contact them? When I receive the report card for this current quater (3rd)?

Got accepted! Do you guys know when the scholarships might be announced?

What ever grades show up on the transcript, are the grades to report.

any ideas on how to get more money out of state? my expected family contribution according to FAFSA is only $10k but UCLA has my family paying $50k, which just isn’t possible for us. I knew this was a risk applying to an out of state state school, but I didn’t even think I had a chance of getting in and now am sad that I got into my dream school but might not be able to go.

Sorry, but unless you receive any merit aid such as Regents, the UC’s expect you to pay close to full fees. Pretty late in the admission cycle to be looking for scholarships at this point. Did you run the Net price calculator prior to applying?

Dude ■■■ obviously I calculated. Don’t love tone of your reply. I applied for alumni scholarship but even if i get that (also not sure if they already announced), that’s only $6k annually. So I guess it’s just not happening but I was looking for any tips, nor judgement.

1 Like

I don’t think she meant to offend. She has a plethora of knowledge and her goal is to provide accurate information in a straight forward manner.

3 Likes

How is this judgement lol she was just telling you that it’s not gonna happen you’re def salty for no reason

2 Likes

yeah i’m salty don’t think it’s for no reason. was looking for someone to help, wasn’t really asking for discouragement. this whole process is so stressful and it’s sad to see it end because of finances. idk maybe have a little empathy

4 Likes

We will be paying 2 college tuitions in a couple months and here are some things we’ve considered. Maybe these suggestions might help?

Student loans
Parent loans
P/T job while going to school/summer
Withdrawing on a 401k
Using a Home Equity loan
Graduating in 3 years
Private/local scholarships

2 Likes

I am an international student - so I doubt I will get one :confused:

Sorry to hear that the numbers aren’t working out but I think you are overreacting. @Gumbymom is a well respected member of the CC community and has guided thousands of applicants through the UC process. She was simply stating the facts and if you don’t want to hear the truth then that is your prerogative. The bottom line is there isn’t much you can do as no private scholarships will come close to providing the full cost of attendance as an OOS student. CA public colleges ignore family’s EFC amounts even if it is 0. Best of luck.

5 Likes

Every family is different but myself and many college admissions counselors would recommend that no undergraduate degree is worth sacrifices such as withdrawing from a 401k, or taking out a home equity loan. Student loans only cover a small portion of tuition and for parent plus loans the parent must be willing to cosign. Again those are technically real options just IMHO for whatever its worth, not worth it at all.

4 Likes

I am sorry if I came off as judge mental but I prefer to give the facts. UC’s offer little to no financial aid to OOS applicants and nothing you do will change that fact unfortunately. I have been trying to get the word out along with emphasizing all students and parents need to run the Net Price calculator for an estimate of costs before applying. I know that being a HS Senior can be a stressful time and it does not help that most HS’s do not offer a clearer picture of the financial issues involved in paying for college. I am truly sorry I cannot be more helpful but if each student would run the numbers before applying, it would save a lot of heartache. @GPlove gave you some options but most will not fill the gap unless your parents want to take on the debt. I do not know your situation but you should be proud in getting into UCLA which means you are a high achieving student and it also means there will be other equally good college options.

4 Likes

Hey sorry if this has been asked, but in the UCLA portal I have an option to submit additional information which I’m treating like a LOCI. Would it be advisable to email an AO as well? Is it considered? Is there anything else I can send in?