UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Someone said that on the recent Reddit thread too

Do international students also get invited for Regents?

No for Regents you must be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or CA Dream Act Student.

For the General Scholarship Application- Is this only if you have something specific you need to explain? Can I leave it blank?

Are there any additional factors or information you would like the selection committee to know about you? This may include family obligations, extenuating circumstances, or extraordinary experiences during your high school/community college career. (500 words maximum).

1 Like

Does this criteria apply for UCB as well?

Does anyone know or have an idea of how many people get invited to apply for the Regents Scholarship each year? I’ve read that only 40 to 100 nominees each year actually end up winning the scholarships, but I’m wondering how big the pool of nominees is fighting for those 40 to 100 scholarships

I heard 1.5% of the admitted class but not sure if it’s accurate.

Edited: The Regents scholarship criteria regarding whom qualifies seems to be campus dependent.

UCLA and UCSD state the applicant needs to be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Dream ACT CA student.

UCD and UCR do not state if International applicants are eligible.

UCI and UCSC, International applicants are considered.

UCSB states U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or a non-citizen student qualifying under California Assembly Bills 130 or 131 are eligible.

I found this on their website:
Do I need to submit an application to be considered for the Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship? All students who apply to UC Berkeley are automatically considered for the scholarship. This includes California resident, out-of-state, and international students entering from high school as well as transfer students.”

Thank you for catching my mistake. I guess I will have to revisit all the UC websites to confirm. I know that UCSD and UCLA state you must be a US citizen, permanent resident or Dream Act CA student. Each school campus can determine their own criteria for these scholarships.

The Regents scholarship does have a financial need compotenent which is not available for OOS/International applicants so you would only get the Merit scholarship money of $2500 at UCB or any other UC campus.

UCI and UCSC state that Regents is open to eligible International applicants. UCD does not specify if International students are eligible.

1 Like

Hi @gumbymom, can you clarify the comment “Regent scholarship does have a financial need component”. Does that mean if you are full pay you are ranked lower?
thanks

@LollieW: If a Regents Scholar has additional financial need beyond the $2,000 honorarium, the scholar will be awarded university scholarship and/or grants to cover the remainder of the scholar’s need (defined by the school) which includes Cal Grants and Federal Aid.

Since International students are not eligible for any need-based aid from the UC’s (Cal Grants) or Federal aid, then if they do receive Regents, they only get the Regents Honorarium.

Curious too.

Gumbymom is right. For UCB, one of the kids essentially got a full ride based on his FAFSA.

Oh okay! Thank you for the information!!

Are internationals eligible for regents?

@whippymop: The information I have is that UCLA Regents is only open to US Citizens, Permanent residents and Dream ACT CA students. Since UCLA requires the FASFA to be filed for Scholarships, this excludes International applicants which cannot file.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

Congrats to all recipients!
Question: do you guys mean that if you don’t file a fafsa and don’t have financial need you are not eligible for the regents scholarship? Or, if you get invited, you may receive additional aid bases on need. My son is OOS and seems to be around the numbers, but has not revived a regents invite so obviously does not qualify.

Sorry about typos. Not received